View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2011, 07:20 AM
Blimey, what a harsh system! How long has it been going? It's sad they're doing it based on breed and nothing else, this girl sounds delightful, surely there should be some assessment of her temperament as an individual not a Rottie before she has to go through this.
Hope she feels happier soon, bless her.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2011, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Personally I think ALL dogs should be accustomed to wearing muzzles in case one is ever necessary eg they are injured etc.

Correct introduction of the muzzle should not result in trauma and of course if it WAS introduced correctly, the dog would not be FURTHER traumatised if it was injured by putting on a muzzle that it was not used to.

It is unfortunate that a) the laws of the land discriminate against breed rather than deed and b) the owner of this dog was not helped to introduce the muzzle correctly.

Well said.

When I had to give Dexter ear drops a while back, at first I had to use a muzzle as he was frantic with fear. I scooped peanut butter all over the inside of the end of the muzzle and that was one happy Labrador wearing a muzzle!

He liked it so much that when I wasn't looking, he jumped up, grabbed the muzzle, and sat there licking it...
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-05-2011, 04:17 PM
Thats one way to do it
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-05-2011, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
Blimey, what a harsh system! How long has it been going? It's sad they're doing it based on breed and nothing else, this girl sounds delightful, surely there should be some assessment of her temperament as an individual not a Rottie before she has to go through this.
Hope she feels happier soon, bless her.
There is a temperament assessment done by the dog school and the vet, thats before they can have thier licence to keep the dog. Also every month our dog school gives instruction to the owners of catagory dogs this is done in the classroom without the dogs. I dont know what they have to do so I will try and find out.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2011, 04:22 PM
I like the harsh system. I don't agree with them having to wear muzzles if they don't need them apart from as SB said - vets or injuries.

I like the harsh system because no doubt it has stopped some of the status dogs - Milkmaid?
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-05-2011, 04:23 PM
Yep I think you are right there SLB.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2011, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by Milk maid View Post
Yep I think you are right there SLB.
It could be a system introduced to England but there is the fact that most of the countries "status" dogs would end up abandoned or destroyed due to the numpties who own them..

Would be a lot better than this stupid banned breeds stuff. Ban the owners not the breed - hey thats better! France is on to something here!

I don't agree with the restrictions of where they are to be or the muzzle if they don't need one - thats a bit OTT..
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-05-2011, 04:52 PM
I agree just cos its a rottie it has to be muzzled , such a shame. I went into the dog school shop (its new and they are just about to open) and Verginny is down there with her dog Exie another rottie another wonderful well behaved dog, nearly licked me to death but still got to be muzzeld and on a lead when out
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2