View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 06:23 PM
I can't use treats with Poppy as she gets so focused on the food she looses all sense of what she's supposed to be doing Verbal all the way with her.

Kiara I use verbal too as she's happier with that. I do throw an occasional treat in though just to keep em guessing. Her ball is my best assett when out walkies she'll do anything you want if you've got it in your hand just to get it back!!!

Bailey I have to use food as verbal praise sends him loopy an he starts mugging you for more loves. I can't even say 'good boy' to him as he thinks he's done so well he deserves a love I don't always give him treats though every now and again I fluff his hair on his head and move away quickly to divert his attention from mugging me! If I give him a treat he accepts and carries on as normal.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 06:31 PM
Whatever works We train/ed our own dogs with treats however they respond just as well to touch & voice

We always finish training with a "go free" & a good play
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-05-2011, 06:32 PM
Well, I'm doing a clicker training course atm, so treats are in abundance!

Jake, who is doing the training, actually would work just as well for praise. His reward is "getting it", he just loves learning! He'd be just as happy if I told him he was a good boy as he is getting his treat.

Simon does respond to praise, and has an abject fear of being in trouble, so is never told off very harshly. I must say though, he's prefers a treat
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 06:39 PM
I love seeing those drug sniffer springers on tv who, once they've sniffed out the goods get their tennis ball, they act like all their Christmas's have come at once when they get their ball
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
I love seeing those drug sniffer springers on tv who, once they've sniffed out the goods get their tennis ball, they act like all their Christmas's have come at once when they get their ball
I love seeing that too, they look so happy!

Out of interest, has anyone found a difference between the sort of reward you give and whether or not you've had your dog from a puppy?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by Magpyex View Post
I love seeing that too, they look so happy!

Out of interest, has anyone found a difference between the sort of reward you give and whether or not you've had your dog from a puppy?
Not at all.
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Not at all.
Thank you!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 07:20 PM
Daisy wags her tail and looks for the REAL reward (ballie).
Shamus wags his stump and wanders off.
Razzle looks slightly perplexed.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 07:44 PM
Training wise they get verbal praise only
But Im one of those really lazy people when I take them out and never carry treats only thing in my pockets is poo bags

Interesting thing about mine they seem fussy who they take treats off, only a few people are blessed with thier presents regards treats which actually suits me as I know they won't follow anyone for a treat.

Outside a ball and a game with Dad is all they need.....with me its plastic bottle time they never want to play ball with me
emma47
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 07:53 PM
He looks for a treat

If i say good boy he looks to my pocket for a treat, he's not that bothered about praise he will wag his tail but thats about it. I'm obviously not exciting enough!

I've tried using toys to reward him but he just gets to bouncy and focused on the toy. I can use it to get him to do so something he already knows but otherwise he just gets to wound up to focus on what i'm trying to teach him.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >