Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-05-2011, 09:48 AM

Having a serious wobble.

I was in the kitchen a few minutes ago and saw someoneon on the field with their Labradoodle who had similar problems to Ollie. They are friends with a woman who lives at the back of me and she owns a Husky and they are good friends.

Daisy went through similar tests to Ollie and similar thing no real diagnosis. She responded well to steroids and just now I have seen her walking round the field and looks perfectly normal from what I could see.

She became ill soon after Ollie and now she seems to be back to normal and I am thinking did I give up on Ollie too soon ? Should I of stuck it out like she did ? She always said she wouldn't let her go.

I know deep down I did the right thing and I was guided by Nadia but I can't help thinking maybe I was too quick in making my decision seeing Daisy back walking over the field again.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 09:53 AM
You have no guarantee that Ollie would have recovered to the same extent as Daisy has, each dog is individual and responds to treatment differently too. It shouldn't be a case of "But that could be Ollie now", instead you need to reflect back to Ollie himself and your decision was based on him, not any other dog.
I know it's tough, I look at the treatments available for hip dysplasia nowadays and part of me thinks maybe I should've gone that route with my Prue, but then I remind myself of her temperament and her issues and I know it wouldn't have suited her to go through all that.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 09:58 AM
Hugs Lynn xx

No I don't think you did let Ollie go to soon,you did what was best for him,I think it's only natural to have some doubts,especially when you see other dogs like Daisy.

You did all you could for him and were guided by Nadia and I'm sure she would have said something if she didn't feel the timing was right.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-05-2011, 10:05 AM
I know guys it was right it just seems so unfair and so hard to see Daisy up and about. Don't get me wrong I am happy for her and her owner.

I also know with Ollies temperament like you say about your Prue Klyr Ollie could not of put up with more hospitilisation etc., he did so well bless him being away from us for 10 days and being so good.

I know Nadia would not of said it was the right time if it wasn't she would of sent us home she grew to love him almost as much as we did. I am reflecting back to how his head and face had wasted away too.

It has just dragged it all up again seeing Daisy and making me doubt myself.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-05-2011, 10:11 AM
Oh Lynn , it's only natural that we have doubts now and again.

You have to remember Daisy was not Ollie, and although similar symptoms, it could have been completey different, no two dogs will react or recover the same, even from the same illness.

I have no doubt , you gave Ollie every change , you walked a long difficult walk with him, and sadly he could not be saved.

No guilt is needed Lynn, you did ALL you could for the boy, and I am sure he is looking down on you with a smile, and a "thanks Mum"
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 10:14 AM
No two dogs are the same. No two illnesses run the same course. I`ve had 2 bitches with mammary cancer. One recovered, one died.
Your dog was very sick and you spared him further suffering. That`s what is fact, not conjecture. You did the best you could for your boy.
Please don`t beat yourself up wondering about what if`s. You know you did all you could.
x
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 10:24 AM
I often think about this with my Sophie, I had her put down after her treatment showed no change, it was totally my desision but backed 100% by her vet.
I very often think, what if id just held on for a ew more days, to see if they could do any more for her? But when I think about it, my poor girl passed away on the vet table after she had a tranqilizer... didnt even need the injection to slip away so I am absolutly sure I did the right thing.

I am sure deep down you know your desision for Ollie was the right thing because only we owners truely know our pets, and know whats best for them
Dont beat yourself up about this, you did the right thing, trust yourself xx
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 10:37 AM
Oh! Lynn

Having met you and Gordon one of the things that came clear to me was they you both were wonderful owners to Olllie, but you both were still grieveing

Time to grieve and question our decisions will keep coming, things you see will bring tears and memories some happy ones some sad ones and some filled with guilt.

But something in your dream told you hun that it is time to move on alittle Ollie would want you to know that dispite all your questions and guilt, you did right for him and I know by our conversation that one of the major worries you both had was his young age. But better he knew all the love and kindness that you both gave in his short life then never to have known none at all.

Time will heal and once you are both ready to get another the happy memories of Ollie will always be there, Im sure Ollie will shine through when your new one arrives

Best wishes hun xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-05-2011, 11:04 AM
Thanks all. Its just that some days are really bad and others seem better.

I was doing ok till I saw Daisy this morning.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 11:07 AM
The decision to euthanise a dog is often accompanied (before, during and after) with the concern that you may have done it too early or left it too long.

It is natural to feel this way, if the decision has not been made for you because of other factors.

Remember, we can only do what we think is best for our dogs at the time, hindsight is a wonderful thing and not always useful either!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >