View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
cardaph
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-10-2010, 08:04 AM
Good luck with that 1cutedog will be keeping everything crossed for you and waiting to hear how you get on.

I decided yesterday to put in an extra session with just me leaving as it seems to be me she hates going out more than hubby, think she got used to him not being around as he was still at work for the first year we had her.

On the evening session we got complete silence until the last one when I decided to walk up the street and back. Now we keep the blind closed in the front room so she can't see us and I had trainers on which don't make a noise so how on earth did she know I wonder

Mind you now with the weather turning much colder it's really hard to stand in the driveway even for a few minutes!
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-10-2010, 09:51 PM
Cardaph, It's funny how they know even if they can't see you and you are as quiet as can be.

I went out for about 20 minutes today. I already had my boots on and a fleece so I took the rubbish for the bin, sneaked my umbrella and went down the stairs and out the back door to the bin. I then went round the side of the building and up the front to get to the shopping centre. The blooming shop didn't have what I wanted anyway so it was a waste of time.

On the tape, she ran about a bit soon after I left and then afterwards I heard absolutely nothing from her. Oh how I wish I had cctv in my flat so I could see what she was up to.

I think I'll have to be sneaky in future and not put on my coat or take my backpack with me. I don't really need a coat because I usually end up racing along the road trying not to leave her too long anyway so I don't have time to get cold.

I'll try her again next week and hope she's the same. I purchased e-serum but keep forgetting to give the tablets to her but we had fireworks the other night, quite close to the house and they didn't affect her at all, so that's good news.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2010, 06:37 PM
I am just sneaking in to see how you are both doing, and to cheer you on.

Nothing to report here, because still battling with Jimmi's paws - it is so hard to concentrate on training when all you want to do is stop him chewing and licking. He had a low dose steroid injection on Monday, and for three days it was wonderful, so along with the ABs his cysts etc. have had a chance to heal. Now the injection will have worn off, and the Abs are finished so will see what tomorrow brings.

I really do want to start trying to leave him for a few minutes again, but seem to be thwarted at each turn by those horrible feet of his. There was an interesting, but unwelcome, development yesterday.........I was out for most of the afternoon and husband was home with Jimmi. He was absolutely fine, showing no stress or worry at all, but when I came home he went berserk with his welcome and eventually went right over the top and starting jumping on me and nipping both me and himself Not good. I eventually yelled "OI", which is what I have used all along with him for unwanted behaviour, and he did calm down after that. This was so unexpected a set back, and I hope that when I go out tomorrow for just an hour or so there will be no repeat.
cardaph
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-10-2010, 11:55 AM
1cutedog that is fantastic to leave lana for 20 mins and she was quiet Did you know you can get pet webcams which attach to their collars? Quite expensive though.

Good news too that she seems fine with the fireworks. It's all looking good.

Bitkin that must have been upsetting to have Jimmi react in that way. It upsets me when Bessie goes beserk because I'm going out. I wish his paws would heal up permanently poor lad and I can understand you not wanting to do any training .

With us being away last week Bessie has had no training at all, will get back to it on Monday.
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-10-2010, 07:41 PM
Poor Jimmi having so many problems with his feet. Big hugs to him from me.

Are steroids not a long term thing or do they cause damage if taken too long? Is it a possibility for him because it's not very nice for him having sore paws all the time and not being able to run around. So sorry he went berserk when you came back in, hopefully when his paws heal again he'll be fine and not so stressed out.

Cardaph, hope you had a good holiday and good luck with wearing your carpet out again from Monday Hopefully Bessie will be fine and remember where you left off and you can get further forward with the training.

I've got a web cam somewhere in the house. I must see if I can figure out how to work it and just have it at the livingroom door, at least I would see if she goes and stands at the front door or not when I'm out.

We've got fireworks going off just now and luckily Lana isn't bothered about them at all. That is such good news. Quite a few big bangs as well. In a couple of weeks time I'll have had Lana for 1 year. Got her last year on Friday 13th November
cardaph
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-11-2010, 09:09 AM
Lana is doing brilliantly, all of sudden things seem to be falling into place for you and I'm just so pleased.

Congratulations on the first year anniversary - does it seem like a year?

While away we met a dog who could have been Bessie's twin they looked so much alike. However he was just so calm and laid back compared to Bessie. He was older though so hopefully as time goes by Bessie will become calmer too.

We have a groomers appt. this morning so will start the training again this afternooon. Think we will leave the car in the drive to sit in as it's getting way too cold to stand about event for a minute!
cardaph
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-11-2010, 10:25 AM
How did lana cope with the fireworks last night 1cutedog? Hope she was ok. And Jimmi too Bitkin was he ok?

Bessie was very clingy whilst they were going off insisting on being right by my side all night and was quite quiet for her.

Training hasn't been going that well as we've kept forgetting to do it before it turns dark and then we don't really want to! Have been training with just me going out during the day and it seems to be the actual leaving that upsets her, once I'm out she doesn't seem to care, just settles down again.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2010, 08:12 PM
Well Cardaph and 1cutedog........we may have our problems with our respective dogs being left alone, but oh thank all the gods that they don't care about fireworks!!!

This is worth so much to me, as our last two dogs were really terrified and it was just a complete nightmare.

You have both made much more progress that we have with the SA because we have done absolutely zilch in the way of training for weeks and weeks and weeks. However, we now have another dog sitter on board (an old friend widow who lost her own dog earlier this year) and she is more than happy to come here for the odd evening when we have to go out. So along with daughter and family, we are quite well set up and I am feeling less confined!

The cage is out of the question because of his paws (which touch wood are under control at the moment) and I would be devastated if he scrabbled at the metal when we left him and tore them to bits. All in all, as I said some time ago, we are not too concerned about trying to leave him alone for the moment.

How does this little darling repay all our care and consideration???.............he removes a bottle of pine and honey cough balsam from my bedside table and places it carefully in the middle of the just dry cleaned duvet - where it gently leaked for a couple of hours before being discovered. Yeuuuuuuuch what a disgusting mess, and the duvet is back at the dry cleaners!!!! Good timing as it has now turned colder and that summer duvet is just not quite enough!
cardaph
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-11-2010, 10:25 PM
Oh Bitkin I have to laugh and I know it's cruel when you have had the mess the deal with but that is so funny lol.
Maybe Jimmi thought he was getting a cough and decided to have some medicine

I am so glad you have someone else on board to help with Jimmi it will take a lot of pressure off you.

I thought I was going to miss grandaughter in her panto this year as husband is off to the football match on the same day but fortunately we've been able to get tickets for the Sunday instead. It's a ridiculous situation to have to miss things like this because the dratted dog can't be left!

So the training continues................
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-11-2010, 12:31 AM
Lana was fine with the fireworks, good job too because on Friday I forgot it was the day and took her for her evening walk. About 5 minutes into it all the fireworks started going off. She seemed fine, but I decided to head back. Once we turned back I got dragged home not that she seemed particularly bothered it was only her tail wasn't as high as usual but no signs of distress. She hasn't bothered her backside about the fireworks. I'm so glad because it was an absolute nightmare with my previous dog.

Cardaph, shame that Bessie was so clingy but at least that's all she was and wasn't in distress.I can't blame you for not getting right back into your training as the amount of times you have to go in and out must take up most of your day. That's good that Bessie settles down once you're out though.

Bitkin, so glad Jimmi didn't bother about the fireworks. It's an absolute nightmare to have a dog who's terrified of them. That's good that you've found another dogsitter, excellent news.

I haven't left Lana on her own again. Could have done with nipping out yesterday or today but as the others in the block were mostly at home I didn't like to incase they started going out or coming in as Lana would start barking.

Good news (well I think/hope it is) my son is coming back to stay with me for a while. He's going to help me with one side of the business. He was fed up with his job, getting treated not very nicely, poorly paid, existing on a tin of soup each day and there's absolutely nothing else available.

I'm hoping I can nip out at times and leave him with Lana and then after a few times he'll go out before I come back and hopefully with us both coming and going Lana will accept it better. It should be more fun for her having someone else in the house instead of stuck with just me

Bitkin, like Cardaph I couldn't help but laugh about Jimmi and the cough mixture. I know it wouldn't be funny your end though. How typical that he waits until the duvets just been cleaned before doing it

Cardaph, glad you're not missing out on seeing your grandaughter in panto. It is ridiculous having to miss things because of a dratted dog. I miss simply being able to nip out when I want. It's something I never even thought about when getting another dog. Serves me right for not choosing one of the other dogs

I always write big long posts even when I go back and cut lots out trying to make them shorter
Page 43 of 44 « First < 33 40 41 42 43 44 >