View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-10-2010, 08:13 PM
oh Cardaph what a little madam your Bessie is turning out to be When you do the training sessions do you take bags and parcels with you? What happens if you go out on your own leaving her with hubby, but not take parcels with you. It's funny how dogs can sense things isn't it and know whether you are going out for real or only pretending

Bitkin what good news about your practice weekend, that must set your mind at rest. That is so good that he went to their bedroom and not yours, shows how fond he is of them and that he loves your grandson so much. Hopefully you can go away for the weekend and not fret so much.

Nothing to report on Lana. I haven't tried leaving her on her own except when I've gone down to the bin once or twice. I didn't bother recording her as she knows where I'm going with the bin bags and no doubt hears the back door opening instead of the front and follows the sound of my footsteps all the way
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2010, 10:52 PM
1cutedog, we haven't tried leaving Jimmi on his own again yet either! Let's get next weekend over and done with first.

Lana, Bessie and Jimmi have us all wrapped around their paws (in Jimmi's case, extremely dogy paws). Just think what we could be doing with our lives if they were simple ordinary dogs!!!
cardaph
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-10-2010, 05:10 PM
Bitkin that's really really good that Jimmi has taken to your family looking after him. You will be able to go away with an easier heart now and just relax.

1cutedog - as far as I know I am doing everything just the same as if I was really going out on the practice runs. I even fill a carrier bag with books to simulate my parcels lol.
Today when I went out at 2pm she was upstairs with OH lying on the bed and he said she just lifted her head when the door went and then lay down again!

However I had to do a second run at 4pm and she was downstairs then and acted up as I went.
Have just finished the training session and she has been as good as gold! Even got to 1.5minutes outside.

It doesn't make any difference whether or not I am carrying parcels, she just doesn't want me to go on those occasions, there doesn't seem to be any pattern to her acting or not acting up.
cardaph
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-10-2010, 08:06 AM
I was away yesterday at that dog seminar which was very interesting and gave an insight as to how dogs brains work.

I had previously emailed the behaviourist telling her we were now getting a minute out and did we have to increase min by min til we get a reasonable time away. Me thinking it's going to take a few months just to get to the top of the street!
I was quite taken aback when she replied to try going out for an hour. My total instincts were that this is just too much too soon. This was confirmed by the Behaviourist at the seminar who said to wait until we reached 20 minutes and once that happened the amount of time spent away should cease to be of importance.

Unbeknown to me hubby decided whilst I was out to try going out for his paper and leave her in the house. So he did and was away for 15 minutes as the first shop was closed. Would you believe it she just gave a couple of barks when he went out and then was quiet most of the time after and she only barked when my neighbour rang the bell to pass in some left over meat for her.
So I think today we will at least walk around the block and see what she's like with both of us going out together.

How are Jimmi and Lana doing? I guess Bitkin you like us are getting ready to go away at the weekend.
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-10-2010, 11:56 PM
Cardaph, what wonderful news. Hopefully Bessie will continue like that and you'll soon be FREEEEE to go out when you want. Brilliant news.

I haven't tried leaving Lana again. I had her back on the zylkene but it seemed to be putting her off her dinner so I stopped them. You open the capsules and sprinkle the powder over the food. I was so shocked after listening to her after the last time that I haven't even considered leaving her alone again. Maybe I should try 5 minutes sometime soon
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2010, 07:35 AM
No advice but I wanted to wish you Goodluck xxxxx
cardaph
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-10-2010, 08:04 AM
I would go back to just a minute 1cutedog and then build from there. I was told if the dog reacts at any time go back a step or two as we've taken a step too far for them to cope with.
Bessie wasn't as good with both of us going out and the howls were like that of a wolf.So I spoke too soon again! She seemed more hyped up yesterday for some reason though, probably because she'd been to training class and played with all the other dogs. So today we go back to a minute and keep to that until we come home after our holiday as we won't be doing any training whilst away.

You could try Lana on another type of calmative - the serene-um is tablet form which may be easier to give her.

Werewolf thanks for the good wishes
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2010, 08:40 PM
Well we are back, and Jimmi was absolutely fine with the sprogs looking after him......he gave us a joyous welcome when we returned, but had been as good as gold. An unforseen problem came this morning when the sprogs packed up and left...........Jimmi went into a decline!!!! He is especially fond of grandson, and kept sneaking into his bedroom to curl up with him; also if grandson was being told off, he would cuddle up to him and give beseeching looks as if to say "please don't be cross with him". Hmmmmm, fickle hound! I am secretly delighted though.

Unfortunately he is worrying at his paw...........AGAIN. I could cry.

Cardaph, you seem to be making progress even if everything goes backwards from time to time. You are so active and positive in your approach that I feel sure things will come right with Bessie eventually. As for Lana and Jimmi I just don't know - 1cutedog and I are reluctant to take the risk of leaving our dogs, even for a short time, and this is a huge stumbling block.

I was talking to a friend recently about this, and her parents had the same problem with their dog. They were advised to open up the whole house for the dog when they went out (accepting the risk factor) and see what happened. The dog was fine from then on. I myself, as I have said before, have a feeling that if Jimmi had the run of the house he would be okay BUT we just cannot contemplate it given the damage that he did to the kitchen on that last occasion.

We are not alone with this, if it is any consolation!! I am meeting more and more dog owners who are at their wits' end because when left alone their dog rips up the carpet/chews the corners off walls/destroys the sofa/ poops in every room in the house etc. etc. etc. They too have tried every trick in the book to little avail, and it is depressing sometimes to hear that someone thought they had cracked it, only to have their dog revert a few months later!!! I am not being negative here, but just pointing out that we are not three numpties who are getting it wrong all the time - we are merely a drop in a whole ocean of folk wrestling with anxious dogs!

There may be a different solution for each dog, because I happen to think that a standard treatment is not going to work in each and every case, so the main thing is that we all go with our gut instinct regarding our particular mutt and couple it with sound advice. One day, all three of us will proudly announce that we have gone out for an hour or two regularly over a period of months with no trouble whatsoever. (Have just shot a Gloucester Old Spot floating past the window).

I am still going with making Jimmi comfortable and secure with the fact that we both go out independantly on a daily basis. He is happy with that now, and after a while we will try leaving him in the kitchen for a few minutes whilst we go up the road and back. We feel quite laid back about it now to be honest, and if it doesn't work then so be it.
cardaph
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-10-2010, 08:02 AM
Bitkin that really is fantastic! You must be sooo relieved and pleased that all went well when you were away.
Those paws of his though are continuing to cause problems. Is he wearing his boots you got him?

I really think you and 1cutedog should start with the basics again and do some trainining just going in and out of the door or even just opening and shutting it. Then building it up from there. If you don't try you aren't going to get any further forward.

I am feeling positive at the moment just because I won't accept defeat - I will keep on at it until I get the results I want. The trainer at class was just saying - even when you think you have cracked it the dog may start reacting again. You just go back a step and keep on trying.
I managed to get a few words with the dog psychologist at the seminar on Sunday and he said it was one of the toughest problems to deal with.

So ladies we have to be prepared to be in this for the long haul we aren't going to get the results we want any time soon it seems
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-10-2010, 10:37 PM
oooh at Bessie howling like a wolf, hopefully it will be better the next time.

I've ordered the serene-um tablets for Lana. Must go out tomorrow or soon for five minutes and see how she is. Afterall I was out twice for 20 minutes with no problem. I'll maybe start doing what you've done with Bessie and go to the door 100 times a day maybe go out but straight back in again. I won't be going down the stairs or anything as she became more upset when I tried that previously. I must do something because she's still so young and it would be bad if she never got better. I'll see if the serene-um tablets make a difference

Bitkin, so glad that Jimmi had a great time without you but what a shame he went into a decline when your daughter and her family left. How great is he with your grandson, makes me go aaawwww when I read it.

His poor paw. If only they would heal and stay healed instead of him having so many problems with them. One of these days eh, we'll be coming on here boasting about having left our dogs and they were so happy to be left on their own. haha If we knew a bit more about their history it would maybe help. Still, onwards and upwards as they say.
Page 42 of 44 « First < 32 39 40 41 42 43 44 >