View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2012, 01:27 PM

Feels great to be finally reporting some success!

Well, for those who don't know the saga...this is my original question - http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...76313140_n.jpg - and a consequence - http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=171588

Well, after he broke out of his fabric crate and was silent, we thought we were home free - WRONG!
The next time he was left, the video showed a Greyhound standing on our window ledge - quite a sight for anyone walking past! He also managed the break the blinds by jumping through them and worked himself up into a noisy state :'(
In my current hormonal state, I'll be the first to admit, I haven't coped well. There have been days when I am ashamed to admit that I've been unreasonably upset with him and frustrated at lack of process.
We have bought a metal crate. It was a 'last resort' and in my current state have been really upset at the thought that he'd have never settled and would be happier in another home with other Greyhounds for company - broke my heart thinking about it, but thankfully that's now just a distant painful memory.
He didn't like the crate at first, (I covered one half with a blanket so there was a den but not too warm), and he was pawing and trying to chew the bars. Thankfully though the last 3 times we've left him he's not tried to damage the crate at all and has mostly been lying down.
He's still making noise when left, but it's reduced dramatically in severity if not frequency. I had a little giggle when on a recent video he was lying with his head resting on his bowl and doing what can only be described as moaning...most of his noise is lying down now which I take as a good sign.
The other things we've found have helped is to put him in the crate (without food) a good 10 minutes before we leave so he's fully settled and relaxed before we even leave, and when we come back we obviously wait til he's settled. Something else I've been doing is sitting down next to the door and going to open the latch, if he stands up, I close it again and then when lying down immediately open the door a bit and a bit more until it's open and he's lying down with soft eyes, then he gets invited out for a cuddle and it's all good
I finally feel hopeful for the first time since moving (it really has been our worst period with him and the worst part of moving house) that his noise is reducing and he's starting to settle down. I don't care how long we have to use the crate, so long as it's working and it's been such a learning curve, I hope we come out together stronger than ever

Sorry for rambling, hope you're not asleep by this point!

Can you spot the relaxing Greyhound?

A close up in his new den
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2012, 01:38 PM
Im so pleased you have reached....result xxxxxx
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2012, 05:49 PM
This must be a weight off your mind, and let's face it you could do with it, to find your dog relaxed and comfy in his little den.

Bravo for him and you.
emma47
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2012, 09:03 PM
Really pleased that your hard work is paying off and he is starting to relax a bit
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2012, 10:36 AM
Thanks guys! Yes, it's a great weight off. I know he's not silent yet and we're not fully out of the woods, but it's certainly an improvement and we're going in the right direction...finally!
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2012, 10:38 AM
Aw that's great to hear bless him, what a good boy

How's the pregnancy going? You must be quite far along now? xx
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

31-07-2012, 11:30 AM
Good news.

You sound like you are well on the way to having him happy and settled all the time now.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2012, 11:42 AM
O gosh! Well done you!! Crates are wonderful things, although both Ben and Tai have worn down teeth due to chewing on the bars of the ones that they were shut in in their previous lives. if OH had to go out to work, we would definitely buy 2 large crates to put them in.