Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-10-2008, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by melzy View Post
We Dont Own Animals We Just Share The Earth With Them
And what would happen to them all if we took that attitude... of live and let live.

We as humans do untold good managing the welfare of animals...

The Giant Panda for instance, should we just allow them to die out, because we dont own them !!

One of two things would happen... they would overpopulate whcih bring its own problems..

Two, they would die out , if we did not intervene with endangered species.
melzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-10-2008, 09:49 AM
thats what i mean we dont own them so we have no right do kill them how an when we want,and whats pandas got to do with it are foxes eating them
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2008, 09:50 AM
but man is going to kill the chickens and lambs for his tea! a fox cant go to tesco can it
Yes, but when I want chicken, I go and pick one and humanely kill it, and then eat it....

A fox will break into where the chickens are, kill everything alive, rip them to pieces, eat the one or two that they can and leave the rest of the dead birds for the owner to find in the morning.

Humans breed animals specifically for meat, and time and effort and money goes into doing that. Generally speaking, there is a lot of time and effort put into getting those chickens and lambs etc onto people's plates. Foxes, on the other hand, are indiscriminate killers.
melzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-10-2008, 09:51 AM
thats what i mean we dont own them so we have no right do kill them how an when we want,and whats pandas got to do with it are foxes eating them
and i didnt say we shouldnt help them
melzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-10-2008, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
Yes, but when I want chicken, I go and pick one and humanely kill it, and then eat it....

A fox will break into where the chickens are, kill everything alive, rip them to pieces, eat the one or two that they can and leave the rest of the dead birds for the owner to find in the morning.

Humans breed animals specifically for meat, and time and effort and money goes into doing that. Generally speaking, there is a lot of time and effort put into getting those chickens and lambs etc onto people's plates. Foxes, on the other hand, are indiscriminate killers.
well a fox hasnt got a lot of time when he knows he could get a bullet in him if he doesnt hurry up if foxes could breed chickens im sure the would an they would have very good chickens in the shops
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2008, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post

Well I'd say foxes are as clever as they are made out to be then, as Melzy says, they know they don't have much time, they want a meal, so kill them all, just in case they've got time to eat them all without being disturbed. Anyways, as I said previously, surely, you can keep chickens secure enough NOT to let the foxes in, I know people who do that???

Yes, and when they put all this time, effort and money into producing that meat, they make darn sure nobody steals it off them before they get their money for it (or eat it whatever), so it just shouldn't happen. You never know, if things got really bad, you might even get people coming in and stealing it all in the middle of the night if they're not kept locked and secure enough?! Clever fox I say!
melzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-10-2008, 10:08 AM
the hunt should chase the shoplifters all day
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2008, 10:22 AM
I am a bit of a mixed bag these days with regard to hunting . . .

I come from a farming background and we used to breed and show rare poultry. Despite having coops and fences foxes can and will find away to get to a easy meal. It was always a challange to stay one step ahead of them (we suffered more losses at the hands of people, theiving toerags!). BUT i never liked the hunt, i was so glad when they stopped it and in my mind its a barbaric and outdated farce. If it was truelly the best way to kill a fox then why were the hounds bred for stamina and not speed? I also hate the disregard for the horses and the hounds alike. I have seen a young mare with her wind broken gasping for breath and the rider said 'plenty of running left in her yet!' when i dared to point this out. The whole thing stinks. A good marksman with a bullet is the best and humane way to control foxes, you also make sure you get the fox thats being a pest.

However when it comes to rabbits and Rats and don't think you can bet a dog. Seeing lurchers do there job made me sure of this and is also nature in action. A run never lasts more then a few mins a the dog brings the bunny back (without a mark on it and could be let go with no ill effect) to be dispatched quickly. The same goes for rats and terriers, a few shakes and its all over in seconds. Much better then slow acting poision or traps . . .
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-10-2008, 10:38 AM
well a fox hasnt got a lot of time when he knows he could get a bullet in him if he doesnt hurry up:shock: if foxes could breed chickens im sure the would an they would have very good chickens in the shops

Thats one clever fox, who can reason out someone is waiting with a gun to ge t him.... leaving no time to clean up his mess behind him

Originally Posted by Razcox View Post
I am a bit of a mixed bag these days with regard to hunting . . .

I come from a farming background and we used to breed and show rare poultry. Despite having coops and fences foxes can and will find away to get to a easy meal. It was always a challange to stay one step ahead of them (we suffered more losses at the hands of people, theiving toerags!). BUT i never liked the hunt, i was so glad when they stopped it and in my mind its a barbaric and outdated farce. If it was truelly the best way to kill a fox then why were the hounds bred for stamina and not speed? I also hate the disregard for the horses and the hounds alike. I have seen a young mare with her wind broken gasping for breath and the rider said 'plenty of running left in her yet!' when i dared to point this out. The whole thing stinks. A good marksman with a bullet is the best and humane way to control foxes, you also make sure you get the fox thats being a pest.

However when it comes to rabbits and Rats and don't think you can bet a dog. Seeing lurchers do there job made me sure of this and is also nature in action. A run never lasts more then a few mins a the dog brings the bunny back (without a mark on it and could be let go with no ill effect) to be dispatched quickly. The same goes for rats and terriers, a few shakes and its all over in seconds. Much better then slow acting poision or traps . . .
There will be people who have little regard for their animals whether they re on horseback or not...

To take a horse to a fitness level for a days hunting, you will have had to put hrs days weeks mths, of work of exercise into said animal... otherwise you have will have an unsound horse on your hands...

Most servants of the hunt, and a lucky few will have a second horse, if they are going to be out all day... others who only own one, would be fools to allow an unfit horse to do a days hunting.

And as most people who hunt, their horses are pets first hunters second... and will know the danger of running an unsound horse...

You will get the idiots in all walks of horse owners... from the gymkhana pony to the competition horse...fools are fools not matter their hobby.

The majority of horse owners look after there nags.
melzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-10-2008, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Thats one clever fox, who can reason out someone is waiting with a gun to ge t him.... leaving no time to clean up his mess behind him

There will be people who have little regard for their animals whether they re on horseback or not...

To take a horse to a fitness level for a days hunting, you will have had to put hrs days weeks mths, of work of exercise into said animal... otherwise you have will have an unsound horse on your hands...

Most servants of the hunt, and a lucky few will have a second horse, if they are going to be out all day... others who only own one, would be fools to allow an unfit horse to do a days hunting.

And as most people who hunt, their horses are pets first hunters second... and will know the danger of running an unsound horse...

You will get the idiots in all walks of horse owners... from the gymkhana pony to the competition horse...fools are fools not matter their hobby.

The majority of horse owners look after there nags.
if you got chased by horses and dogs would you not panic about stealing the guys chickens
Page 8 of 94 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 58 > Last »