Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2009, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
I'm sorry but if my dogs did this I would muzzle them, I don't think that it is right, even when Honey killed the squirrel she did it cleany, as when she came back minus the squrriel and a bloody face (sharp teeth) I checked it, and there was hardly any blood on it, and she has never done it since, as I learnt to be more careful.
It is natural Chaz. Do you have cats? They murder countless millions of song birds in this country every year.

It is called nature.

What is not natural is for man to kill for pleasure ... as in fox hunting, which is the topic here. Very few animals kill for pleasure. Man is one of the notable few.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2009, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Drag hunting I am told is the most fantastic fun, and of course there is no killing involved, just lots of galloping and jumping! When a live fox is being hunted, there are frequent stops when hounds lose the scent, but with drag hunting there are no stops! It is the most amazing fun if you are a good enough rider to gallop for miles without stopping! I was not, and am not, so never did it.

So as you say Lozzi, there is no need to make it a "live" hunt ... it can just be hounds following an aniseed trail.
With a "drag" hunt the hounds are following a pre-determined, safe route. With a "live" hunt it is completely random so you don't know where you are likely to go or more importantly what you will have to jump, which heightens the excitement and the enjoyment. For those that have done "live" hunting, "drag" hunting is no substitute.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2009, 08:43 PM
It is natural Chaz. Do you have cats? They murder countless millions of song birds in this country every year.

It is called nature.

What is not natural is for man to kill for pleasure ... as in fox hunting, which is the topic here. Very few animals kill for pleasure. Man is one of the notable few.
No actually I don't but if I did and they killed things, it would still be my fault, but you talk about all this natural stuff, is it natural for something to have something else for a pet or companion?? I believe that its not, now adays it is just purely for the benefit of human kind, (the companion animals get a good deal too), so then how is it natural for something that we choose to have to kill other animals?

If we was going back to nature we wouldn't have dogs, and we would live like animals, we wouldn't have rabbits, pheasents, grey squirrels etc in England, we would also have wolves here, which I think would probaly take down a ill or old fox, so in your way is it not natural for dogs (which are releated to wolves) to do the job of a wolf and kill the old and injured, or would it be better to hope that a gun (another unnatural thing) would finish them off for us?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2009, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Ahh but its one rule for Nikki and something for everyone else, its natural for her dog to kill a perfectly HEALTHY animal who DOES have natural predators, but not people to hunt and kill UNHEALTHY predators that have NO predators other than us!

Imagine all those little Bunnies being tortured by her dogs through lack of control and her ignorance in the chain of predation! But hey, some folk are even irresonsible enough to release pet Rabbits into the wild, can you believe THAT!
Dawn, shut up !! With the greatest respect, you know damn well that your dogs kill wildlife because you have told me so. I remember you telling me that you went lamping, and I remember you telling me that your borders were great ratters I believe it was. Although I don't remember you saying so, I bet you a pound to a squashy orange that they love to chase and kill rabbits ... and why not, like you I am not a hypocrite just to make a cheap point.

You really are a stirrer. AND you know damn well that fox hunting is ALL about the most amazing fun for horse and rider, as well as hounds, and very little to do with killing old and sick foxes. Even if every single fox in the country were fit, well and healthy, people like you would STILL want to go hunting because, quite simply, it is the most amazing fun ... I know, because I have done it. The thrill of the chase ... there is nothing quite like it. And before you castigate me and call me blood thirsty and a hypocrite, I have already apologised, I am HONEST about my feelings. I loved fox hunting, but as I have said before, it came as a great shock to me the first time Hal ate a rabbit alive, I always thought that dogs ... and of course fox hounds ... killed their prey cleanly. They do not, and to me I found that unacceptable. In addition, we now have the modern-day global problem of desecration of the rain forests and the wiping out of whole species. It is very hard for my old friend the Kalahari Bushman to be told that he mustn't kill elephant for ivory, when we are allowing hounds to tear apart live foxes.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2009, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by maxine View Post
With a "drag" hunt the hounds are following a pre-determined, safe route. With a "live" hunt it is completely random so you don't know where you are likely to go or more importantly what you will have to jump, which heightens the excitement and the enjoyment. For those that have done "live" hunting, "drag" hunting is no substitute.
The live hunt is completely random, I agree, but there are several "pauses" ... with drags, there are none, and I for one was not a good enough rider to gallop and jump for long stretches without a break!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2009, 09:02 PM
Why? there is absolutely no way (except possibly my friend herself) that anyone could identify my friend from what I have said. Sadly Galty, with Miss Pedantic, it is very necessary to go into such unnecessary and doubtless very boring detail, otherwise she goes off in a diatribe about my ability or otherwise to prove something.

A good question you pose though about the hunting with dogs law. Personally, although I think it totally unnecessary to control foxes as they are not vermin, if I had to choose between hunting a fox with hounds, or shooting it with a gun, I would definitely choose the former. Whereas death by hound is a very unpleasant one, it is nonetheless reasonably quick and on the whole it is only the unhealthy ones ... the old and/or the infirm ... that are caught by hounds. Many a time I have seen a healthy Charlie sitting and watching the hounds he has outwitted ... once one went to earth in our garden under our shed! Clever fox, he knew he was safe with me.

However, shooting a fox ... unless a very sick or elderly one ... is not an easy thing to do cleanly, however good a shot you are. A long, slow, painful death must frequently be the lot of the post-hunting ban fox ... and often these are healthy beasts. I still maintain that it is completely unnecessary to cull foxes, and totally unacceptable to advocate their hunting by hounds whilst at the same time lecturing to native Africans how they must not kill elephants for ivory.
Given your history of lying relentlessly which of course can all be proved, is it any wonder nobody believes a single word you say? You even joined under another name and started agreeing with yourself for gods sake to get a bit of support in another thread, one thing Im not going to do is believe you at face value! You were banned for a time for that, is your memory not so good either?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2009, 09:06 PM
Dawn, shut up !! With the greatest respect, you know damn well that your dogs kill wildlife because you have told me so. I remember you telling me that you went lamping, and I remember you telling me that your borders were great ratters I believe it was. Although I don't remember you saying so, I bet you a pound to a squashy orange that they love to chase and kill rabbits ... and why not, like you I am not a hypocrite just to make a cheap point.

You really are a stirrer. AND you know damn well that fox hunting is ALL about the most amazing fun for horse and rider, as well as hounds, and very little to do with killing old and sick foxes. Even if every single fox in the country were fit, well and healthy, people like you would STILL want to go hunting because, quite simply, it is the most amazing fun ... I know, because I have done it. The thrill of the chase ... there is nothing quite like it. And before you castigate me and call me blood thirsty and a hypocrite, I have already apologised, I am HONEST about my feelings. I loved fox hunting, but as I have said before, it came as a great shock to me the first time Hal ate a rabbit alive, I always thought that dogs ... and of course fox hounds ... killed their prey cleanly. They do not, and to me I found that unacceptable. In addition, we now have the modern-day global problem of desecration of the rain forests and the wiping out of whole species. It is very hard for my old friend the Kalahari Bushman to be told that he mustn't kill elephant for ivory, when we are allowing hounds to tear apart live foxes.
I think I hit the truth with you didnt I? My dogs work for a living, they hunt and kill what we INTEND to, I have never ever let my dogs rampage round the countryside ripping Rabbits up like you have allowed your dogs to do, you should be ashamed of yourself. But thats the thing with you isnt it, your dogs are "different" and what they do is allowed because its "natural" you are such a joke Nikki, such a joke, you provide much entertainment.

I would never allow a PET to start living wild either like you, thats damned irresponsible, but then you are "special" arent you! Pathetic!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2009, 09:08 PM
Given your history of lying relentlessly which of course can all be proved, is it any wonder nobody believes a single word you say? You even joined under another name and started agreeing with yourself for gods sake to get a bit of support in another thread, one thing Im not going to do is believe you at face value! You were banned for a time for that, is your memory not so good either?
YOU JUST NEVER EVER BLOODY SHUT UP DO YOU !! I have noticed that whenever things get a bit sticky for you, you resort to the past. You are incapable of coming up with a good argument ... which is a shame, because actually you are a good debater ... and you have to go and spoil it by being a typical female and go making bitchie comments. You are ALMOST as annoying as me when you do this !! And that says a lot, 'cos I am more than aware that I bang on relentlessly about certain subjects that are close to my heart.

If you go off thread YOU will get a warning ...
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2009, 09:12 PM
Good questions there Chaz. I believe in the case of dogs, it IS natural for us to have them as companion animals simply because the symbiotic relationship between the 2 species is so ancient. It used to be believed that man first domesticated wolf (or wolf moved in on man, we don't know which!) around 10,000 years ago, but it is now thought by some scientists to be nearer to 100 k. Either way, it is a very long time. I am not a cat person, don't like them much, but I believe the time is a lot less for the domestication of the cat, although I may be wrong.
But we no longer have use for them, and really the same can be said about cats, I think that its the Siberian forest cat that now works along side people, coming into the villages in the winter, when there is less food in the forests, and killing the mice and rats from people's homes, and many if not all going back to the forest's when it gets warmer, but from animals and people working together, how is the jump from that to so many breeds natural??

I believe in allowing my animals to live in as natural way as possible. I do not like animals in cages ... my daughter's rabbits lived in her tree house, and could jump up and down from it at will. They were tame, they came in our house, but also went hop-about round our village.
So you let your domestic rabbits round the village? How would you feel if they get killed by a dog, because it would be natural? I'm sorry but I believe that this is highly irresponisble, and I would also question where you got your rabbits as you kept them in such a way. Your quest for a natural life for your animals in this example is way too far, and IMO if you or anyone was keeping or have kept their animals like this I believe that they shouldn't have them.

Along with this holistic attitude to the treatment of animals, goes the belief that if you have a dog, you have to expect that it might dig (Hal did, Tai doesn't), and that it may have a high prey drive. Tai will catch himself a bunny for dinner on occasion, and I see nothing wrong in that. What I do consider to be wrong would be for me "just for fun" to take up a gun and go out and blast a few bunnies, and throw their dead bodies in the garbage. Perfectly OK though for me to go and bag a bunny for the stewpot. All about just taking what one requires to survive, not going on a bloodthirsty hunt "just for the thrill of the kill".
Yes dogs have high prey drives, you should see Diesel when he is out on a walk, I've never met a dog with such a high prey drive, but as a owner unless you are going to teach your dogs how to dispatch animals correctly, or have some control over them at least then it shouldn't happen. You yourself said that your dogs eat rabbits alive, to me you not controlling this makes you more bloodthirsty then any hunter who teaches their dogs to find, catch and dispatch a animal as quickly as possible, and I would be eternally ashamed if I let my dogs do such a horrid act.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2009, 09:12 PM
I think I hit the truth with you didnt I? My dogs work for a living, they hunt and kill what we INTEND to, I have never ever let my dogs rampage round the countryside ripping Rabbits up like you have allowed your dogs to do, you should be ashamed of yourself. But thats the thing with you isnt it, your dogs are "different" and what they do is allowed because its "natural" you are such a joke Nikki, such a joke, you provide much entertainment.

I would never allow a PET to start living wild either like you, thats damned irresponsible, but then you are "special" arent you! Pathetic!
O right, that makes it OK then? You talk such a load of tosh, you really do !! "My dogs are allowed to rampage around the countryside ripping rabbits up !" ... you really do exaggerate ... !!

No Dawn, my dogs are not different, all dogs are wolves under the skin

When did I ever say that I allowed a pet to live wild? You really must learn to READ properly Dawn. Having a dislike of keeping animals in cages is totally different from allowing them to live 24/7 in the wild.
Page 56 of 94 « First < 6 46 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 66 > Last »