Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2007, 02:47 PM

first morning at dogs trust

I had a great time meeting the dogs. You can either take pot luck and walk the dog you have been given, or you can choose a particular dog to walk. There are enclosed landscaped grounds and they ask for a minimum of 15 mins lead walk per dog. You cannot let them off lead and they need to be kept away from the other dogs who are also walking.If you are really keen you can take a dog off site for a longer walk, either to the park or beach.

I walked 4 dogs around the grounds, stopping and sitting with them on the benches to talk to them and stroke them. It was as much me getting used to being with other dogs as them being with me this morning.

First i took Sally a terrier cross who is being assessed at the moment. She was lovely and knew her sit and come. A very sedate little lady with eyes you could swim in.

Next I took Fudge one of 2 cocker spaniel bitches who are also being assessed prior to being put up for adoption.She was a lively little girl who was into evryone and everything.

Third came Sam a 14 yr old black Collie cross who has has some sort of stroke recently. He was a little lop-sided and only had a gentle stroll.

Then I chose a dog who I took a fancy too. Her name was Suki. A 11 mth old crossbreed about lab sized maybe taller and more slender. She was very bouncy and left some muddy paws on my coat as a special present. She was on a gentle leader but soon settled down and we had a lovely walk. She was very affectionate and I would dearly like to have spent more time with her or had chance to play with her.

A great way to spend a morning. You can go as often as you have time, no weekly commitment. If anyone lives near a dogs trust and fancies it give them a shout. There were loads of walkers there.

I didn`t get to go play with the puppies today as the litter they have is a bit poorly at the moment.

looking forward to going again. Good to know The dogs get to meet so many people.
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2007, 02:54 PM
Well done for taking time out of your own busy life to give to the dogs trust. It must take a lot of will power to not get too attached and take them all home. You came out empty handed I take it? When are you going back?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2007, 02:55 PM
Sounds like you had a wonderful time, and all for a very good cause.
Becky
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2007, 02:58 PM
sounds like both you & the dogs had a great time - I was very interested to read your post & learn that you can be a dog walker for them as and when you have the time.

My bet is that Suki will be going home with you before much longer
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2007, 03:02 PM
Thanks for letting us know how you got on - it sounds great. And well done you
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2007, 03:08 PM
Sounds like a very worthwhile morning!!!!
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2007, 03:42 PM
Sounds great. i'm glad you enjoyed your morning It's very fullfilling to do something to help

The nearest dogs trust to me is quite a way away. But we are moving offices soon and may end up near to the Newcastle cat and Dog shelter..if we do end up there i am am going to volunteer to become a dog walker
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

08-02-2007, 03:39 PM
Sounds like you really enjoyed your first morning . Well done to you for giving up some time to do this., I too can see Suki going home with you sometime in the future.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2007, 11:11 PM
Well done you for giving up your time for some needy doggies!

I did some work experience at our local DogsTrust when I was at college, a hard slog but soooo rewarding!
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2007, 04:07 AM
your a star giving up your time for such a good cause
But remember the pups are not too be sneaked out one by one in your pocket.....unless your sharing them with us.
Seriously hun we're all proud of you , xxxx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >