Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2007, 02:43 PM

Max - Gordon Setter Agility Update

We are now into our second term of our course and the courses are much more complicated now – not just straight up and down anymore – so requires a lot of thinking!!!

And how things can change from those first few weeks when Max was petrified and unable to even control his lanky legs on the dog walk – now he can’t get enough of it – and does all he can to continuously go up and down it. Setters!!! a mind of their own honestly.

As he is so long legged mind you he nearly always misses the contact point going up – even with a steady – have mastered the coming down (despite Max preferring to miss this one too if given the choice).

So if there is a choice of jump, table, tunnel or dog walk he will choose the dog walk EVERY time and the look on his face is priceless – Mum its not the tunnel it’s the dog walk – and of course we are told to go with them every time so that doesn’t help matters.

He is consistent with his jumps now at full height even on the turns. Wish I could say the same about my directional commands! Poor Max doesn’t know what I am on about hence probably why the dog walk wins each time!

This week we did the see-saw – totally supported and just introducing it – and he totally surprised me by just standing and doing it! Expected him to totally and utterly freak – so funny how they can surprise us!

I think now we are doing full courses all the dogs seem to be loving it – much more exciting for them but more challenging for the owners! Having to cross over sides and where /when – pull through jumps – as well as running, giving commands AND remembering the course!

Max loves agility though – I’m so pleased – whether we will ever compete is another matter right now it’s all about having a good time!

Will try to get some pics next time - if I can get someone to take them for us!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2007, 03:10 PM
Sounds like you are both doing really well, and equally important, really enjoying it

Would be lovely to see some photos if you do manage it
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2007, 04:02 PM
Brilliant update Rach, I too would love to see photos of the boys, and you of course, in action

Its so nice for you that you've got another interest that still involves that dogs.

Sheree x
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2007, 04:41 PM
Lovely stuff
I have noticed a lot of dogs which might be scared stiff of something then it becomes their favourite, almost a ` Look look, I conquered it then realised I really like it` sort of thing

This really is what Agility is all about for me, dogs learning, handlers learning, the bonding and trust continually growing, [ especially with some pesky initially scary equipment ], pride in a dogs achievement and willingness, and fun fun fun !!!

Rach, thank you so much for being such a terrific example of the enjoyment to be had for all dogs and their humans if they just take the opportunity to give it a go

Looking forward to piccies as soon as you can
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2007, 07:38 PM
Patch - I hope that I can inspire any one to give it a go - seriously if a setter can do it anyone can!!!

I think the toughest hurdle (excuse the pun) for anyone to overcome is to get in a club such high demand - and we gave up our ringcraft (which I really miss both the social aspect of too) but boy what fun!!!

So pleased Max loves it too!

Really interesting to read about the most daunting piece of equipment becomes the fave! But it makes such sense!!

Initially the tunnels were his fave - esp. the cloth one - which most find awful!!! but now the hard tunnel seems to rub his back??? so he isnt quite so keen now?

I know there are waiting lists but it is worth getting your name down and giving it a go!
leospride
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-05-2007, 07:41 PM
Brilliant! Way to go Max :smt041
And so pleased you are both having a good time, and I bet it keeps you fit aswell
Maddie used to love the tunnels at OB classes, bet she wouldn't fit through them now, the dumpling
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2007, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Sounds like you are both doing really well, and equally important, really enjoying it

Would be lovely to see some photos if you do manage it

Promise to try and get photos soon!

Thanks

Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Brilliant update Rach, I too would love to see photos of the boys, and you of course, in action

Its so nice for you that you've got another interest that still involves that dogs.

Sheree x
If I could find a good obedience club I would be doing that too you know! Setters are so clever really! And so willing to please they will do anything!

Shame not enough field trial clubs around as to see them doing what comes natural would be my ultimate!

Originally Posted by leospride View Post
Brilliant! Way to go Max :smt041
And so pleased you are both having a good time, and I bet it keeps you fit aswell
Maddie used to love the tunnels at OB classes, bet she wouldn't fit through them now, the dumpling
Fit - mmm not sure about tha! I am ready for large G&T after each run!!! LOL