Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2006, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
I take off any whiskers that curl & get near the eyes on the cavaliers but the top people take them all off
Do you think it makes a difference in sucess in the show ring, cutting them off?

I've had a look at Isla's breeders website and all their dogs have their whiskers still, so that's what I'll be doing!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2006, 06:12 PM
My breed are shown as they come but some breeds are groomed in the manner that has evolved over the years, some breeds need facial hair removed for comfort some do not. It is, in most cases, based on the comfort of the animal, after all we think nothing of shaving off unwanted hair or cutting our nails why should people not offer the same service to their animals, show or otherwise, if they have a lot of facial hair it needs correct grooming. Do wonder if those who are so alarmed cling onto their hairy legs and armpits.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2006, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by basi View Post
I know that in the states my breed have their whiskers trimmed off, it seems to be the done thing over there, I don't do it myself as don't see the need I'm afraid!
Where does it state that, never noticed it in the standard.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

19-09-2006, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by Pita View Post
My breed are shown as they come but some breeds are groomed in the manner that has evolved over the years, some breeds need facial hair removed for comfort some do not. It is, in most cases, based on the comfort of the animal, after all we think nothing of shaving off unwanted hair or cutting our nails why should people not offer the same service to their animals, show or otherwise, if they have a lot of facial hair it needs correct grooming. Do wonder if those who are so alarmed cling onto their hairy legs and armpits.

Couldn't have put it better Pita.
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2006, 06:53 PM
'Whiskers' on animals are very different from normal hair and act as highly developed sensory organs. We may not be fully aware of the possible harm it could be doing by removing them.

Have a look at this article - http://www.winweim.com/whiskers.pdf#...gs%20remove%22
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2006, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by pod View Post
'Whiskers' on animals are very different from normal hair and act as highly developed sensory organs. We may not be fully aware of the possible harm it could be doing by removing them.

Have a look at this article - http://www.winweim.com/whiskers.pdf#...gs%20remove%22
Was just about to say the same thing, but you put it so much better than I could!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2006, 06:31 AM
For every person who thinks such trimming does or may cause problems there will be dozens who will disagree, so perhaps in the absence of any confirmed evidence that it does cause problems we should live and let live. There must be hundreds and hundreds of pet dogs who’s coats are clipped and not plucked and not all will be left with whiskered. Clipping out a dog is in the most part because the owner can’t or does not have the time to groom in the normal manner, are we to criticise them.

Those who think that the whiskers have some special use or significance may be correct but no scientific proof exists to suggest that trimming the facial hair of dogs causes any problems for the dog, sensory or otherwise. So until proper verified scientific research into the subject is undertaken that proves it is cruel or disabling I think the decision is best left to the owner to decide, most of us know if our dog is distressed and I think dog owners should be able to choose how they groom their dogs just as they choose to neuter their animals, very often both practices are for the owners convenience not in anyway for the animal concerned, so lets not be too hypocritical about this.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2006, 06:35 AM
BASI if you missed my post eariler can you tell me where it says the whiskers of the Basenji should be clipped? Thanks.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2006, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by Pita View Post
Do wonder if those who are so alarmed cling onto their hairy legs and armpits.
LOL - by no means am I a big hairy bird - I still wouldnt cut my dogs whiskers off though - I do believe that he has them for the purposes of sensory perception etc and even although he is getting old man whiskers growing out of many places - he still would not be trimmed - yes at the end of the day its personal choice - but I do choose to shave my own bits - thats my choice.

Bruno wouldnt let me near him with scissors or shaving tools anyway.

i still think its ridiculous !!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2006, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post

i still think its ridiculous !!
I have no problem with that, you have the right to deal with your dog as you see fit just as do others.
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >