Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bessey112
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-05-2006, 07:21 AM

Goats????

Morning
ive just had the neighbour bang my door asking to borrow my dog crate,of course i asked why....she replied she is going to pick up a pygmy goat today
now im sure this isnt allowed around here,its going to be living in the garden of a terraced house (im onthe end) but im not to sure what to expect now Do they smell? Is it likely to get through the fence? 1 goat against 3 rotties is not something i really want to happen
i do like goats...especially the pygmys & they are really cute but surely they cant be suitable for pets in a built up area?

sarah
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-05-2006, 07:26 AM
Don't know haven't any experience of Goats,saw some lovely ones (Pigmy's)
last week at a garden centre come mini zoo,they were cute but lots of them and in nice big pens in the country.Where I would think they would be best suited.Years ago aneighbour of ours had a goat,it got into our garden and I complained to the council,they will eat anything washing on the line etc., and they weren't allowed it.Is the Neighbour buying their house do you know,or renting.Good luck with it.
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

20-05-2006, 07:47 AM
Originally Posted by bessey112
Do they smell?
Yes - if they are male and haven't been 'done'. Females in season make lots of noise.

You can keep goats in the back garden. I guess the bleating they might make is classified no differently to dogs barking, and subject to the same noise rules.

However, there are some legal aspects your neighbour may be unaware of:

The law requires that ALL goat-keepers ;
Register a HOLDING (CPH) NUMBER and a HERD NUMBER.
This applies even if only 2 goats are kept in the back garden. Registration must be applied for immediately on ownership.

Keep a MOVEMENT RECORD BOOK.
An up to date record of all movement of stock off the premises, including visits to the vet, to shows and for mating purposes must be kept and retained for inspection by a Local Authority Officer.

ANIMAL TRANSPORT CERTIFICATE.
An Animal Transport Certificate has to be completed and must accompany the goats during transit if they are being taken and left at another holding, including shows. All journeys requiring such documentation must also be recorded in the Movement Record Book.

NEW MOVEMENT REGULATIONS
Following the Foot & Mouth outbreak in 2001 all movements of cloven hooved livestock have to be licensed and approved under strict new D.E.F.R.A. regulations (www.defra.gov.uk) . You must apply for a MOVEMENT LICENSE from your local Trading Standards Office.

IDENTIFICATION
All goats must be identified by an ear tattoo or ear tag which must clearly show the breeders Herd Number as well as an individual number.

MEDICAL RECORDS.
It is a legal requirement that a record is kept of all medicines administered to individual goats. This includes vaccination records.
N.B. Non-compliance with any legal requirement can result in prosecution.
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

20-05-2006, 08:02 AM
awwwwwwwww

i love pygmy goats

they dont smell if kept properly, they are very different from normal goats

they are an african species and thus are adapted to a warm climate and so dont go to toilet as much etc ...

they are generally just like dogs

im jealous
minda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-05-2006, 02:40 PM
The deeds (I don't think that's the right term but I can't remember the proper one) for most houses don't allow the keepng of livestock such as chickens and goats but I don't know about pygmy goats. Someone on my block used to keep a large goat. It made the occasional loud noise (sounded more like a donkey than a goat) but other than that it didn't seem to cause any trouble. I love goats. I wish I could have one.
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2006, 03:07 PM
I would love a pygmy goat, they are so sweet!!

Not enough garden for one.
Sansorrella
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-05-2006, 08:27 AM
It depends on where you live and each individual council - the laws referred to were brought in following the foot and mouth epidemic a few years back.

I had a pygmy goat for many years - he was a neutered male so didn't smell and he made a lovely pet. He used to come for walks and was let off lead with my dog. (I believe you need a licence now to walk them in public - at least I know you do for pot bellied pigs cos someone over the road has one, don't quote me on this as you need to check with your own council).

Billy used to get in a real state when the dog went for a swim cos goats don't like water and he would run up and down the river bank panicking cos he couldn't help his friend - he would then shake himself when the dog came out of the water. They really hate water and will stand with all four feet on a brick rather than walk through a puddle. If I sat on a bench during a walk he would sit on it next to me - and would chase off my children and not let them sit next to me. There was an old boy who lived on a boat down the canal who would always come out and feed Billy with carrots - one day he wasn't there so Billy jumped on the boat and started butting the door!

There are drawbacks - if he was bored he would put his head through the fence panels so he could eat the plants in the neighbours garden. He got through once and gave my neighbours bonsai trees a good pruning! He would prefer roses to brambles.

Sadly my pack got up into the orchard one day while I was out (they had never been allowed into that part of the garden but I forgot to lock the back door and they got out, jumped all the fences and killed him). I was so upset but it was my fault for not locking the door.

Here is a pic of me and Billy the kid.