Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

01-05-2012, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by brophy View Post
I am pleased your day went ok and Dillon is back home with you. TBH I would be relieved that mild HD was the diagnosis after having had a dog who had a score of 34:43. He did well in the showring,gained his JW and stud book no. I still have a scrap book with his critques saying sound dog,perfect mover so you can imagine my horror when I eventually got him scored He was nearly 11 years old before any signs appeared and then it was conrolled with Metacam. I hope that once Dillon has built up muscle and got over the bouncing puppy stage he will be fine, good luck with your lovely boy.
Wow. Just goes to show.

I am hoping with gentle exercise and hydro the muscle will build up. I have been very conservative with his exercise due to thinking it was cruciate so for the past month he has missed out on exercise except for very short walks and not every day. Today we started reintroducing exercise on lead and started off short and will gradually build up.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2012, 07:43 AM
Hi Lynn

Sorry I've not been able to get onto Dogsey for a while, but wanted to check what had been happening with Dillon.

Although the HD is a blow, I personally would rather have a dog with a higher hip score than a cruciate problem. There are so many ways of keeping a dog sound once you know the problem, I know of several people in English Setters that have had dogs with HD, all have lived a full and active life because the owners took care of them whilst they were babies. I've not had one myself, thank goodness, but do know that the dogs had hydrotherapy treatment and were not allowed free running until they were 18 months old, they were road walked to build up the muscles which, apparently, do a really good job in compensating for the lack of either a hip socket or shallow socket.

I know that, once again, you have been blessed with a baby that is going to need extra special care and who better to be his mum and dad than you and Gorden? I know it's not what you would have wanted, and it is heartbreaking to see a puppy in pain, but I'm sure, with management, you will come out the other side and possibly forget that he has a problem in years to come.

Once he is old enough, (12 months), it may be a good idea to have him x-rayed again and have the hips scored, that way you will know how severe it is, you may be pleasantly surprised that it isn't as high a score as you think.

Sending lots of healing kisses and good luck vibes to that gorgeous baby boy, and ((hugs)) to you and Gorden too. xxx
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-05-2012, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Hi Lynn

Sorry I've not been able to get onto Dogsey for a while, but wanted to check what had been happening with Dillon.

Although the HD is a blow, I personally would rather have a dog with a higher hip score than a cruciate problem. There are so many ways of keeping a dog sound once you know the problem, I know of several people in English Setters that have had dogs with HD, all have lived a full and active life because the owners took care of them whilst they were babies. I've not had one myself, thank goodness, but do know that the dogs had hydrotherapy treatment and were not allowed free running until they were 18 months old, they were road walked to build up the muscles which, apparently, do a really good job in compensating for the lack of either a hip socket or shallow socket.

I know that, once again, you have been blessed with a baby that is going to need extra special care and who better to be his mum and dad than you and Gorden? I know it's not what you would have wanted, and it is heartbreaking to see a puppy in pain, but I'm sure, with management, you will come out the other side and possibly forget that he has a problem in years to come.

Once he is old enough, (12 months), it may be a good idea to have him x-rayed again and have the hips scored, that way you will know how severe it is, you may be pleasantly surprised that it isn't as high a score as you think.

Sending lots of healing kisses and good luck vibes to that gorgeous baby boy, and ((hugs)) to you and Gorden too. xxx
Thank you Sheree. He is enjoying his walks on his harness and flexi lead. His breeder said much the same thing although not happy about the hip she is happier it is not cruciate. I am so pleased I took the option of having the hips x-rayed when the vet picked up the sway when he walks. I must admit I had my suspicions the other week and voiced them to Gorden.

So everything for us rather than against us as it has been picked up early and she certainly was in no hurry to do anything as yet except for conservative exercise and Rymadil if needed and a good supplement for him. She has also said she would like him x-rayed in possibly 6 months time or just over. She said exactly what the breeder had said and what I already knew you cannot give a hip score yet he is too young. If we can keep the osteoarthritis away he is showing no signs we may keep him healthy on that hip for a long while yet.
Page 17 of 17 « First < 7 14 15 16 17