Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wheaten mad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2005, 06:26 PM

Breeding advice?

Hi there,

Just thought i would post a message to all you breeders in the hope of some advice. I would like to start to learn as much as i can about breeding so that when i am a bit older i can breed a health, happy litter. So how did you start out breeding and are there any book ect that you found useful? What do you think are the right reasons for breeding? And where can i find out about the costs of health tests. Particularly hip scoring, eye testing and kidney function testing as there are all things that my breed needs to be tested for. I would be really grateful for any advice, knowledge or opinions you could share with me on this subject. Thank you in advance

Sarah xxxx
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-06-2005, 06:44 PM
Hi Sarah, how mature and sensible of you to want to learn as much as possible before going ahead with breeding a litter of puppies.

It takes years of deep interest to get to know the ins and outs of your chosen breed. Join the breed club, and get involved in the showing and social side of the breed. Talk to successful breeders and exhibitors about how they got started, and read as many books on the breed and about breeding as you can get your hands on. Over time you will find that you have gathered quite a bit of knowledge without even noticing. Get hold of some breed club year books from years gone by, and look for names on your pedigrees, research and learn.

It is said that only about 10% of dogs and bitches are good enough to breed from.So it's important to be able to identify your dogs faults, and to be able to choose a compatable mate that will compliment the female and balance out the picture.

I'm sure others will be able to offer other things for you to take into consideration, in the meantime, well done and good luck and I wish you every future success.

Dawn R.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2005, 06:49 PM
Get the Book of the bitch by JM Evans & Kay White, it's really good and gives you an insight into caring and breeding of bitches.
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2005, 07:22 PM
Sarah, im doing the same, i hope to breed labradors in the future, and have spent alot of time studying the breed and history, also i worked with a labrador breeders for 2 years, which helped alot!!! Im nowhere ready to breed my own litter, but when i do, ill be prepared! good luck and ask away!
Wheaten mad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2005, 02:46 PM
Thank you all for your advice, I am showing the puppies at the moment and attend as many club shows as I can get to so I am starting to be involved in the breed. I will buy 'the book of the bitch' and have a good look at that. Thanks for all your help and good luck gems for when you do breed a litter, I would love to know how it goes. Best wishes

sarah xxxxx
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2005, 02:58 PM
Good luck for the future dolly!
Gems i never knew you were planning to breed labs ow when you do dont show me any pics or i will want one! Do you no what colour you would breed yet?
Wheaten mad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2005, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by ZoeH
Good luck for the future dolly!
Thanks zoe

sarah xxxx
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2005, 04:39 PM
Try and get hold of the book BREEDING DOGS FOR DUMMIES By Richard Beauchamp, its excellent very easy to read and under stand, and is full of good sound advice on how to breed and the care of the bithc.

MO