View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Claire&Jay
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-06-2005, 07:45 PM
When we travel down South from Derbyshire we usually stop after an hour and a half for a wee break and a drink - and sometimes we let the dog out too!!!!LOL Not really she's really good in the car andd always knows when to go!
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2005, 07:48 PM
I go to my mothers in Argyll almost every 2nd weekend, it is a 2 hour drive, we dont stop *unless it is a beautiful day and we have a break at Loch Lomond*. My dogs are great travelers though, they have to be the amount we do.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2005, 09:46 PM
Hi when pups I stop every hour or so for 15-20 minutes at least. But now they are older about very hour and half - 2 hours.

Karen
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2005, 06:29 AM
I would say it depends on your car too.
I drive a van. Lots of space for Ally and I have air-condition so I can make it warmer or colder depending on the season.

The longest trip we have taken her was when we picked her up at the breeder. Three hours by car and we didn't stop as she was sleeping the hole way

But if your dogs hasn't gotten much space to be in and its either too hot or very cold, I would take that in consideration.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-06-2005, 08:55 AM
It entirely depends upon the age of the dog/s in question. Puppies need frequent toilet breaks, older dogs can go hours without needing one. Also depends on when they have been fed and watered. A young dog will generally let you know by whining or restlessness when it is uncomfortable. My dogs toilet on command and will hang on until given the all-clear, but I would never allow them to hold it until it becomes uncomfortable for them. If they are settled when travelling then I would happily leave a comfort stop for 3-4 hours, again depending on prior intake of food and water.

Your dog's body language and vocalization should be a good guide as to when you need to stop.
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2005, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
Also depends on when they have been fed and watered
A good tip is to not feed your dog before a cartrip. And to have them clean themself before is also helpful
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2005, 09:03 AM
my older dogs are great travellers, so I just stop every two maybe three hours for them to have a stretch of the legs, they are in large crates when travelling, however the pups are not as good yet travelling (although getting better with time) I will stop every hour if the pups are with us, but if they are asleep I will continue driving til they wake if it is more than an hours journey, and then stop at the nearest place I can to let them out for a wee and a little walk, then its back in and carry on,

Mo
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-06-2005, 09:31 AM
I agree with some of the others... it very much depends on the particular dog/s and circumstances and if you don't need to stop stopping can prolong the journey.When I go long journeys with Amy she will curl up and sleep for three or four hours, if a dog is asleep there seems little point in waking it unnecessarily, and in hot weather I like to leave early and arrive before it gets hot so try to keep the journey time as short as I can .
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2