Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kayla_pa
New Member!
Female 

31-03-2016, 02:04 PM

MRSA infection in dogs

I am writing this very frustrated. My dog has had sores on his paws - which we first thought was an allergy to something. He's been through countless antibiotics (which angers me).
Since the vets were just mindlessly prescribing them and essentially making him resistant to them.

It's been nearly 6+ months that we've been trying to get a handle over this. He was on steroids 1X and they helped but the infection came right back and his paws broke out in sores again.

A couple months ago we switched to a new vet, since our previous vet kept pushing that it was possibly an allergy.

Our new vet started him on a different antibiotic which did not work. They tested for an auto immune disease - the test results came back inconclusive.

She referred us to a dermatologist ... he put Theo on Cipro for 3 weeks and it was awful. It did NOT help and if anything it made his paws break out into sores worse than he's ever had before.

The dermatologist diagnosed him with furunculosis... but since the CIPRO didn't work - they decided they would culture the bacteria and figure out what it was.

It came back as MRSA and I'm really upset - for a multitude of reasons.

I am beyond angry and frustrated that they didn't just culture it months ago - instead of mindlessly pushing antibiotics. I am a holistic person and I obviously know this can't be treated holistically but I think vets/drs (in general)
push medications too quickly and don't care about the side effects.

I'm just very concerned that after all this time having
such a severe infection that there is internal damage happening to his organs/lung tissue (which is a huge issue with MRSA in dogs).

Has anyone's dog had MRSA? How was it treated? Advice? Ugh.