Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Olliepollywog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-02-2016, 07:42 PM

Re-occurring worms

Hi, my dog has had worms 4 times now. A couple of times I've treated him, and then one time I took him to the vet. I hadn't seen any signs of worms for a couple of months until this morning when I took him out and saw one in his stool that was moving.

He tends to eat our cat's poop if the cat decides to poop outside the litter box, so I wonder if that's why he keeps contracting them. He also LOVES TO EAT ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING! However, the vet said it's not very likely it's from the cat(s) plus these have been at least a couple of different types of worm.

Has anyone experienced so many cases of worms? I'm going to take him to the vet again. Maybe the worms have actually never really gone away?
Azz
Administrator
Male 

03-02-2016, 10:22 PM
Do you deworm the cat too? They can get worms too

If it's not that, it might somewhere he's drinking from or has had continued access to - like a pond..
Olliepollywog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-02-2016, 10:23 PM
No, we don't, but I"m thinking about it. We have 4 :/
peabody21
New Member!
Female 

08-04-2016, 01:20 AM
I think you've got to deworm both your cats and dogs.
like feeding them heartgard/treat them with revolution or stronghold. You can buy them from local feed stores or
online stores like amazon, or petbucket.com
Dorrit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-04-2016, 07:26 AM
Agree worm all the animals and its worthwhile looking at where you walk or let your dog play. The eggs from many types of worm can lay dorment in soil for a long time so if your dog plays on infected soil or worse eats infected soil he will reinfect himself.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2016, 08:35 AM
And if he treads on an egg and ingests it by licking his feet. I am surprised tour vet didn't advise you to do your cats as well. When worming be sure to use a good wormer and weigh your dog before hand to see that he is getting the right dosage. Use a wormer that gets rid of all types of wroms. If he eats horses droppings then be careful that he isn't poorly after.
Olliepollywog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-04-2016, 04:47 PM
I finally had him tested for heartworm so I'm going to start him on Heartguard. However, tapeworms are the ones I worry about since they're from fleas, but that's a much bigger problem. I just tried out the Seresta collar which was recommended to me by my vet, so I'll see if that helps. I also agree with the eggs in the soil, and he walks around the apartment where many other dogs frequent, plus he visits the dog park on a daily basis. I'm just hoping the flea preventative helps. After his last tapeworm med, I haven't seen any more worms. I hope it stays this way for a while!