View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
parsonsmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-01-2016, 01:05 PM
cava14una, I don't buy direct from DAF but from an outlet that uses them. I'll have to check if they supply the tripe chunks.
CaroleC, sorry I got the wrong end of the stick regarding the pancreatic enzymes.
Well I can report that Jack appears to be over this latest flare up. I'm feeding him boiled chicken/white fish, veg and pasta. Planning on keeping him on this for a few weeks and then a low fat food.......still undecided on which one though.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2016, 11:08 PM
Glad he's better
kitla
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-02-2016, 01:17 PM
My 12 y/o Toffee recently had a 2nd flair up of pancreatitis, which caused us to rethink her whole feeding regime. She is really really picky about her food & had been on expensive Lillys canned food. When she got ill she refused everything, even cooked fish & rice! In desperation & urgent research I got her some Natures Menu ready prepared raw (the frozen cubes), the country hunter varieties are only 4% fat.
Toffee not only ate it with gusto, but within 2 days her poops had gone from bright yellow squirt to normal! It's been a week now & she's waking me up early for her breakfast, cleaning her bowl (unheard of for Toffee).
What I understand from my research is that the pancreas in dogs has to work much harder to obtain the protein from cooked meat than from raw. I'm sure you know all that as you were already feeding raw, but this one is sooo easy to feed & no worries about getting the balance right.
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-02-2016, 01:52 PM
I too have a 12 1/2 year old who has recently had a bad bout of pancreatitis. She was raw fed before - mixture of DIY and commercially prepared.

I too have discovered that a lot of Naturesmenu is low fat - below the 7% my dog has to eat for the rest of her life. But lot of the Naturemenu has 40% of fruit and veg, which doesn't quite suit my dog. So I am looking for other foods and raw ingredients that I can add.

Natural Instict do a couple of low fat diets.

Paleo Ridge Raw have the fat content for lots of their products displayed on their website. However, I am struggling to find the fat content of some food items, such as eggs, liver, kidney, pork/beef cheeks etc.

Just before she became ill I bought a lot of frozen stuff and she can't eat most of it. I'm sure she could if I knew how to mix these with low fat stuff. Any thoughts? Any links to where I can find more info?

Thanks.
tiasia0828
New Member!
Female 

01-03-2016, 08:44 PM
I had a min-pin who had pancreatitis and a low fat diet was prescribed. 5% or less. For her treats, I gave her animal crackers (you know the kids cookies). They were low in calories and fat. She could have chicken breast but not alot.
Bobble
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-03-2016, 11:01 AM
Your dog has Chronic Pancreatitis - so you will need to manage it. Not a problem, once you find out what works. Nick Thompson is a great suggestion and as always lots of great, helpful advise on here.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2