View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Coolbutterflies
New Member!
Female 

24-10-2015, 06:44 PM

Dog never recovered after seizures...Trying to understand why??

Earlier this week, I had to put my dog to sleep. I came home from work and he was laying on one side in vomit and urine. According to the vet, my dog had several seizures that might have been due to epilepsy. All of his blood work came back fine, so the vet thinks my dog had encephalitis. However, my dog died before this could be confirmed. He had a really big seizure two days later that required him to be intubation. It was clear that he would have no quality of life, so at the urging of the vet, I put him to sleep. In an attempt to understand what happened, I've been doing some research on the internet. I came across pychomotor seizures, and I believe my dog had these. I thought the fast pace running around was the normal bichon blitz. There were also times that he would become aggressive and growl, chase, and bite. I am now thinking that he was having psychomotor seizures before having a grand mal seizure that ultimately left him immobile and on a ventilator. Was that possible? Thanks
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2015, 07:44 PM
Epilepsy is a terrible condition that is difficult to get under control.

I can't give personal experience of a dog with seizures, but my son suffers with epilepsy.

Grand mal seizures are terrible often leaving him needing to be stitched up and nursing bruises for a few days.

Petit mal/absence seizure are also distressing but in a different way. With my lad, they present in different forms. He can go totally statue like for a few seconds to a minute, or he can rub his forehead over and over again, or he can continue what he is doing, but not stop (ie continue dealing cards after the deck has run out). Following these, he is disorientated and doesn't know what he is doing for a few minutes. These seizures are just as dangerous as the grand mals as for those few minutes he can be a danger to himself. It's neigh on impossible to know how many of these he has as he doesn't remember them and even if we are with him (he lives independently) they can be difficult to spot if mild.

In answer to your question, yes, I believe, what you suggest is highly possible.

One thing that should also be noted is that epilepsy is difficult to diagnose even with a multitude of tests which tend to rule out other conditions rather than confirm epilepsy
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2015, 07:47 AM
coolbutterflies, if you go onto sister site Breedia and look for Malka she is a font of knowledge of dogs with seizures she may well be able to offer you some answers.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-10-2015, 09:44 AM
Surely the best person to talk to is your vet.
I once came home to find my dog lying in vomit and urine and a glazed look in his eyes but he was 13 and he'd had the dog equivalent of a stroke, I bathed him etc but although he responded to my touch there was no real recognition there. I had him put to sleep, 13 is a good age for a Boxer and I felt no need to know the specifics tbh.
DeeBuzzby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-01-2016, 09:00 PM
Hello Coolbutterflies,
I'm so sorry to hear of your devestating loss through an epileptic seizure.
Having lost my lovely boy the same way, just 3 months ago, at the age of seven and a half, l can understand what a state of shock you must be in.
My boy had a seizure every couple of weeks since he was 18 months old - nearly always during the night. One this occasion he had a series of bad attacks from which he never "came round" before beginning another.
By morning he had suffered such severe brain damage that we had no choice but to let him go. I'm just grateful we had the option to end his suffering.
As others have said, epilepsy is a terrible thing. We lived with it without it impacting on our lives too much, but when seizures become very regular there's always a chance that every one could be their last.
Be strong. Your lovely one wouldn't have been aware of his seizure so wouldn't have suffered in any way. Big hug.x
Dorrit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-01-2016, 07:30 AM
Its always terrible when you loose and dog and it leaves a lot of unanswered questions the why and what if ????
My little dog had to be PTS in August after two massive seizures.

I had a new vet (my old one died) and she had not listened when I told her of vacant moments with my dog staring into space and odd head bouncing or mouth trembles. Also a couple of urination mishaps hen he seem to just loose control of his bodily functions for a moment.

My new vet has looked through the notes listened to me and says it sounds as if he was having petit mal fits for a long time.

I cant torture myself with the should have, what ifs and why??? I will go crazy if I do so I have to accept it was my little ones time and that I did my best for him..

Dont do this to yourself, grieve for your friend and allow the good memories to be the ones you hold close.
my2dogs
New Member!
Female 

07-01-2016, 09:53 PM
Coolbutterflies, I am so sorry for your loss. It's heartbreaking to lose the pets we love so much.I have a Chihuahua that started having seizures about a year and a half ago. My Jack Russell is the one that made me notice it. I took my Chihuahua, Zip, to the vet and he gave him some medication. So far it has helped him but I watch him closely. Zip was almost 6 when he had his first one and why they started is a question my vet can't answer. I don't know if you have other pets, if not I hope you can find a new one that will bring you the same love and joy.
DeeBuzzby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-02-2016, 02:07 PM
Thank you "my2dogs" for your message.
It's nearly 5 months since we lost our lovely boy, but just last week we brought home a black and white English Springer Spaniel puppy to keep us busy, and fill the dog-shaped hole in our lives.
We will never forget our first boy but look forward to giving our new one a lovely life with lots of love and affection.
It is possible to find a place in your heart to keep the memories, but room enough to store some new ones.
Jas
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-03-2016, 10:02 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss, I can't imagine how awful that was. There is a lot of information about epilepsy in dogs here http://www.canine-epilepsy.com hopefully that might shed some light on it.