Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2005, 02:33 PM

Dog Ramp - Murphy won't walk on it

I brought a heavy duty dog ramp (one of the ones that extend out) just after Murphy had his op in May and have now decided to use it especially as we now have the Landrover Discovery and it is much higher than the estate we used to have and Jesse and Murphy won't be able to jump up into it so have got to use the ramp.

Over the last few days I have put the ramp on the ground just outside my conservatory doors that lead into the garden just to get the dogs used to walking on. Jesse has no problem with it and will use the ramp to get into the garden but Murphy is having none of it, he really doesn't like it and tries to jump over it or around it. I've put treats on it and he just stretches his neck out like ET to get the treats

This morning when I went into the kitchen and opened the door into the garden to let them go for a pee, Murphy forgot that it was there (and it was dark so didn't see it) and ran out into the garden and once he realised he was on it bolted of it and ran to the end of the garden really freaked out and rather than move it out of the way so he could get back in I left it there and went for a shower and the little toad started barking in the garden as if to say 'come and move mum' but I left it there and when I came downstairs he had come back into the conservatory but I don't know if he managed to get back in without touching the ramp

Could the fact that he's wearing a lampshade be making him feel more uncomfortable about using the ramp ? is there anything else I could try ?

I plan on leaving the ramp there and hope he gets used to in in the next few days but any other ideas/auggesstions would be really appreciated.
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2005, 02:38 PM
Hi Steph

Sorry to read Murphy is not enjoying the new ramp.

I'm not sure whether this will be any help to you but we had a similar problem with Fern not wanting to use the ramps we built from step to garden - it is a big ramp so not surprised - he'd jump over it, kind of defeating the purpose of caring for his joints.

So we got a ball on a rope and ran it slowly down the ramp, Fern would soon slide after it. We also would lie him on the ramp and give him cuddles which he enjoyed. But then he is a pup and little things like this do capture his attention - what about dragging a bone on a rope on it to see whether it will tempt him to walk on it - but then it depends how low he can go with the lampshade on him.

Sorry I'm not sure whether this is any good to you or not but hope someone else will come along with some suggestions
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2005, 02:54 PM
Thanks MC - I have tried all of Murphy's toys on the ramp, even rolling his Tuff Tire (or whats left of it lol) on the ramp, I've put cocktail sausages (Murphy absolute fav)on the ramp, I've sat on it and tried to encourage murphy to come next to me but he isn't having none of it - Im hoping that if I just leave it there and don't make a big thing of it he'll come round to the idea.
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-09-2005, 02:58 PM
Maybe it smells too 'new'.

Have you got anything smelly of his to rub it down with ?

eg rub him down with a damp towel to transfer the smell to the towel and then rub the ramp down with the towel.

Edited to add: Don't let him get the association between you rubbing him down with the damp towel and the ramp (ie leave the rubbing down of the ramp till later) - unless he likes a damp rub down off course
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2005, 03:15 PM
Thanks for that Roy - will defiitley give it a go, and of course Murphy likes a good rub down - he's a typical male lol
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2005, 03:21 PM
Have you taken his lampshade off to see if he will use the ramp?
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-09-2005, 04:59 PM
just thinking that its new and he has the shade on might be a bit of both.
does he watch jesse go on it etc maybe it will be her that shows him its ok.
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2005, 05:33 PM
well, hubby says he's used the ramp a few times today but I've yet to see it for myself

Will keep you posted !
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-09-2005, 09:44 PM
Hi Stephanie, what is the ramp made of, is it slippy? does it make a funny noise when walked in?

..If so buy a couple of cheap rubber car mats from Halfords and stick or tack them on. Also I would leave it around so Murph gets used to seeing it but I would not try to get him to use it if he is wearing an elizabethan collar because that will obscure his sight and make him unsure...better to wait until the collar is removed..try it yourself, with a collar on you would not be able to see where you are putting your feet
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2005, 07:48 AM
the dog ramp is a heavy duty plastic one and has a kind of carpeting in the middle which is non-slip and it is very wide (it cost me £110 ) and it doesn't make a noise when you walk on it becasue at the moment in is flat on the floor. Murphy seems to be a bit more relaxed with it now so Ill see how it goes.

I am sure the lampshade isn't helping matters.

I'll take a piccie of the ramp later this evening and post it.

Thanks for al oyur advice
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >