Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-07-2009, 11:49 PM

Tips on taking your dogs camping..?

We will be taking the woofs camping for the 1st time next week ..Any tips will be welcome...murf
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2009, 12:24 AM
Watch out some cheeky whatsit doesn't make a break under the tent during the night!!
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2009, 05:54 AM
crate so you can get some sleep, the first time we took Meg back in the day of one dog she tried to escape at every opportunity (curiosity) and i slept with her lead hooked round my wrist, second time i took a soft crate popped it up and voila we all slept lovely, since i got to the four dog territory they tend to sleep in their box in the back of the car
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2009, 06:52 AM
All mine have always loved camping, but it's the campsite that makes all the difference. Choose one with it's own dog walking area, and preferably a dog friendly pub nearby. We like Park Foot, near Ullswater. It's a great site, very clean, huge dog walking area (fenced off) and some lovely pubs in nearby Pooley Bridge. I've yet to find a site that compares!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2009, 07:08 AM
I'd echo what the others have said about escaping if left in an area where the ground sheet isn't attached to the tent. The first night we planned to leave them in the outer part of the tent but any noise they heard they slid under the bottom of the tent to go and invistigate. So now they sleep in the bedroom compartment with us, which is rather cosy!

If you plan to do this, make sure you take some kind of waterproof covering to protect your bed - soggy doggies lying on you is no fun

Also remember plenty of towels to dry them off when coming back into the tent (can you tell yet that we don't have good weather when we go camping )

Most campsites expect your dogs to be on lead/tethered at all times, so remember to take something to tie them down with.

Have a great time - and don't forget a camera
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2009, 07:31 AM
Agree with the crate and a screw for staking them down while sitting out.
Dried dog food as anything wet just attracts the flies.
Enjoy yourself, camping with dogs is great fun.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2009, 08:01 AM
We're off on Montys first camping trip this weekend as well and I'm dubious about how Montys going to get on with it! I don't think he will like the tent at all but we shall see!!

Good luck with yours! I'll report back on Sunday and let you know how it went!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2009, 08:57 AM
Originally Posted by cava14una View Post
Watch out some cheeky whatsit doesn't make a break under the tent during the night!!
Ahhhh---you beat me to it! One of mine was really tired during the day when we went to Ardingly fortnight once.Then I got up for a toilet break at 3 in the morning and found him coming back across the fields behind.

After that he slept in the car.

Zips are not a barrier!

rune