Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2011, 02:15 PM

For those of you who use or are looking for a dog walker:

Just wondering if anyone here has had a similar experience when searching for a trustworthy dog walker?

Prior to Lucky being attacked at the park, I was helping his owner (my brother's GF) find a dog walker for him, as she has a bad back.

I advertised on a site specific to dog walkers. I assumed that all dog walkers would have insurance in place but apparently this is far from being the case?

My first response was from someone who seemed great - until I asked some questions and learned that the only insurance she has is one to protect her in case any of her belongings get damaged by the dog...

My next criteria, after insurance, was that a dog walker must have a current, clear police check - again, isn't this a basic criteria??

Apparently not: my next response was from an agency, really nice, really efficient in coming back to me and answering all of my queries. Then it turns out the girl they are recommending in my area has been working for them for six months with no police check, and she's had dogs boarding at her home too...

I've said that I will book this girl IF she arranges a police check, which she is now in the process of doing.

Just wondering if any of you have had similar experiences when trying to find a reliable dog walker...?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2011, 02:18 PM
ER why would a dog walker REQUIRE a police check?

It is not a legal requirement!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2011, 02:20 PM
Anyone who is self employed should be insured against public liability.

It is a requirement for joining any professional body eg as a dog trainer you have to provide proof of this to any organisation (worth its salt) you wish to join.

I have used a dog walker in the past, I did check their insurance cover (original not photocopy) but I did not require a police check; she came with fab references from the vet!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2011, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
ER why would a dog walker REQUIRE a police check?

It is not a legal requirement!
No, but if I was giving someone a key to my house (for walking the dogs whilst I was at work) it's something I might be concerned about....
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-03-2011, 02:25 PM
I put my name down to do some volunteer dogs walking and they required a CRB check ..
I ended up walking a hound for an old man who broke his leg..
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2011, 02:25 PM
I would also ask for her to have liability insurance - just incase something happened to the dog whilst she is out with them. I was looking into advertising myself for dog walking. It's pretty cheap I think the one I looked at was £63 a year.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2011, 02:26 PM
I didnt have a police check, and I boarded dogs in my home

I was however insured (to the hilt!) had masses of references, and was licensed with the council

Having said that, Im looking for someone reliable to let mine out for the loo when im back at work/emergencies. I have big concerns about some of these people. Think I need to go back to it, and show them how to do it properly!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2011, 02:34 PM
A CRB check is only required and should only CONDUCTED where necessary ie when a person is going to be in contact with vulnerable people.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2011, 02:35 PM
iirc, individuals cannot get CRB's done (I could be wrong, and this may have changed now)
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2011, 02:38 PM
The only thing as an individual you can do is what large companies do, ask if they have any criminal convictions; even if they do, these may not be relevant to dog walking.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >