Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pickalilly
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-02-2011, 05:33 PM

I love snails!

In this post, I would like to share my love for snails! I am a multi-pet person, with a tortoise, a hamster, Triops, Sea-Monkeys, fish, dogs, snails and hopefully a cat soon! However, my Mini Schauzers might just not like the cat idea as much as me.

I have always owned and bred Helix Aspersa, the common garden snail. I love them - they enjoy petting and all have special personalities. They are currently hibernating.

A month or so ago, I decided I wanted some Giant African Land Snails - preferably Achatina Fulica. I looked into it very carefully, until I realised that there were no trustworthy looking breeders. I found a lovely site called Mostly Molluscs - but they didn't sell Fulicas. I chose three Achatina Albopicta babies. They have amazing marbled shells. They came at about 6cm and will grow to about 15. They are called Lottie, Albert and Molly and I really love them!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2011, 07:55 PM
Fascinating...... any photos please?
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2011, 08:29 PM
Sorry but I thought you meant you love snails to eat when I saw the title of your post!
adya
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-02-2011, 04:38 PM
I am always protecting snails from birds.Here in the tropic,they are the plate of the day if there is nothing more around.I feed the birds and have a special place like "selvatic" to bring snails to.Birds don't go there.Here are some common like ones that are very "pointy" with brown/black,beige stripes,other very big,brown,heavy about 50 to 50 1/2 mm. and other about 20mm kind of "whitish" with brown/black stripes.These can be hidden in the soil, but ,after some time i have to bring them to the selvatic area - which i call "the hospital" - (because there i bring weak plants to heal.)There they can live in peace.At least until they decide to explore outside...