Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Radar Ears
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-09-2006, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by myschievous View Post
Hi

I don't think Radar meant that it is a good idea to let your dog/s follow you everywhere around the house all of the time

Hi All,

I'm sorry Dobie girl, but I don't agree with separating yourself from your dog, but that's what's good, because we all have our own opinions to discuss.

What I actually meant was that my dogs have the run of the house, always have.

When my husband was alive, (he passed away nine years ago) there was Harry, me and Mick the Labrador, we got him as a pup.

I'd never had dogs before, Harry always had.

We laid ground rules, that Mick picked up really quickly, like he knew that he was allowed on the settee (our choice, not everyone's cup of tea) but he knew that he wasn't allowed on the bed.

He slept in his own soft bed, in our room (again, our choice).

He used to mooch around the house, if he wanted to be with us, he would, as all pups generally do, he if wanted to be on his own, then he'd go to bed.

We wanted it to be his choice.

Because Harry worked from home, Mick was never on his own, he always had company, when Harry died, Mick was 4 years old and had to get used to me going out at 8.00am, coming home at 12.00 noon, leaving again at 1.00pm and home again at 5.00pm.

He used to settle on the settee, I'd give him his "good boy biscuit" and pat him on the head, give him a kiss and go.

When I came home, he'd invariably be where I left him, on the settee, but as his water had sometimes half gone, I'd guessed that he'd not stayed there all the time, he'd mooched about and gone back there when he was ready.

Sometimes people in general (I'm don't mean people on this forum) I mean people that you talk to in passing, when walking the dogs, etc. etc. get too overstressed because they think things should be done in textbook fashion, it doesn't work like that, my husband used to have a good saying which was "water finds it's own level".

He meant that things will eventually level out on their own, if people don't get too stressed or worried.

Kind regards

Radar
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-09-2006, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by Tigger2 View Post
Hi Minihaha,

Thank you so much. I love having a little plan to follow. At present we have a safety gate on the kitchen doorway which leads to the hallway. Should I still shut the door or would the plan be effective just leaving Tigs in the kitchen, but with the ability to look down the hallway? .
Yes that will be fine , the idea is that you are out of his sight for a short time so that he becomes desensitized to your absences.

It's a good idea to get Tigger used to being left alone if you intend leaving him shortly.

If you prefer Tigger to have the run of the house rather than confine him to the kitchen that is ok too..in this case you would need to go in a room and shut the door then follow the same procedure mentioned ..

I personally think it is a good idea to train a dog to happily be left in one room like the kitchen if you can, that way if in the future the dog is ill or needs to be contained for any reason it is less stressful for the dog..

When you do start to leave Tigger to go to college never make a big thing about going just go ...
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2006, 02:35 PM
Great advice everyone, I have enjoyed readiong this thread, as im sure I will nedd the advice too, Northern Inuits dont like being alone.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2006, 02:37 PM
Radar - I understand what you are saying and I guess its just personal preference. We have to set rules as not many people are Dobermann friendly.

If Roxy would happily sit on the sofa and mooch about all day when I went to work, then I would be more than happy. But unfortunately she has torn my room to shreds and distresses our neightbours with her constant barking and howling. The only was we can train her to not do this is to seperate her from us around the house, to make her realise its not all bad being by her self.

We do reward her when she is quiet and calm and this is the only way I can see leaving her alone working. I think you'll find your extremely lucky to have such a laid back dog. And I am hoping as Roxy gets older (she is only currently 8 months of age) she will also be happy to be left alone.
Radar Ears
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-09-2006, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by DobieGirl View Post
Radar - I understand what you are saying and I guess its just personal preference. We have to set rules as not many people are Dobermann friendly.

If Roxy would happily sit on the sofa and mooch about all day when I went to work, then I would be more than happy. But unfortunately she has torn my room to shreds and distresses our neightbours with her constant barking and howling. The only was we can train her to not do this is to seperate her from us around the house, to make her realise its not all bad being by her self.

We do reward her when she is quiet and calm and this is the only way I can see leaving her alone working. I think you'll find your extremely lucky to have such a laid back dog. And I am hoping as Roxy gets older (she is only currently 8 months of age) she will also be happy to be left alone.
Hi Dobie Girl,

That's what I mean, but I can't get it over very well, we all have different dogs, with different temperaments and what suits one, doesn't suit another.

When I said that I didn't agree with you, I wasn't spoiling for a fight I was just trying to say that we all have our own ideas about things.

If we state what they are, anyone reading the posts can picks bits out of any post that they might find helpful.

I hope you took my reply in an "ok" fashion, because that's how it was meant.

Anyway, Minihaha has given Tigger some expert advice, so hopefully that'll help her.

We mustn't stray into "off topic" replies,must we and I think I might have, so apologies all round.

Kind regards

Jill
Tigger2
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-09-2006, 06:53 PM
I think its quite useful when people come to forums such as these with different opinions. It certainly helps me not to expect things to work out like a scientific equation! As much as I love having a plan to work to. :smt002

I am aware that Tigger is a young pup and it is early days. I suspect I am rather anxious about the effect him being unsettled will have on my husband who needs to sleep til lunchtime on one of the days I am out.
Typically, my modules at Uni land on the morning after my OH works an all nighter, so ideally Tigger needs to shush (lol)
The rest of my time at Uni is 2 hour stints here and there throughout the week, so much more reasonable. Its just dreaded Fridays that will tip this family into chaos. So if its a Friday, you will know Im in the doghouse for having a noisy pup.

As for having the run of the house. I dont think its a good idea to suddenly give him that freedom just as I disappear for longer stretches of time than he's used to.

He has been with us in our main room and each time he comes in he is calmer and better behaved so I am hoping that gradually he will get used to being calm there too.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2006, 09:47 PM
I think you're doing fine!

It is natural that Tigger will want to be with you all the time, he's just a baby.

It is a good idea, if you are going to be leaving him in the future, to get him used to being left from an early age. Starting from just a few seconds when he's a pup to longer periods as he gets older.

We are one of those types of people to restrict our dogs to certain places of the house. Ours are kept in the kitchen, until we tell them otherwise. I think this was partly to try and minimise the sheer amount of dog hair in the house, but also comes from a habit as I think young pups need to be kept in smaller areas until they can control thier bodily functions!

Saying that we have one of those rare houses where you can live in the kitchen, so the dogs are only left totally alone during the night. It's all about doing what suits your situation best I think! People assume when we say they stay in the kitchen, that we're all sat somewhere else in the house and they're left on their own in the kitchen!

Isla still complains if someone leaves the room without her, despite there being someone else the in the room with her already (+ 2 dogs), but she is getting better slowly.

All that aside I'd go with Mini's plan.
Tigger2
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-09-2006, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the reassurance

I think I may need to juggle my Uni lectures (god knows how tho'!)

He was really good this morning. I used to take him in the car with us on the school run and then take him for a short walk on a quiet field near to the school. However, I have been leaving him the past few times, for approx 20 mins tops. Some days he has howled (so my OH tells me!) but today and yesterday he laid down just before we left and was still asleep when I returned home. In fact this morning he didnt even wake up when I got back in, so I was able to snooze on the settee for an hour! (which was great as I have yet another cold/allergy/whatever and have only just recovered from Strep throat)
So today Im feeling optomistic but a little worried about Uni next week.

Ive been doing like Minihaha suggested and going in and out of the kitchen lots of times. He looks at me as if to say 'Are you losing your marbles? Youve already looked in that cupboard/wiped that surface/read that cookery book at least ten times today' LOL
Its ok when im in and out, but as soon as I leave it a bit longer he whines again. Also he seems to have a problem with me using the loo! I spend SO much time making sure he does his business in the right place etc and then the cheeky devil howls for me to return!

Its nice in a way to hear that other people are having the same issues regarding pups whining. My OH suspects it is down to me spoiling him. I dont think I have but I do allow lots of cuddles and play lots (and use daft voices ) so maybe I have.

Thanks everyone. Will keep you updated especially after first day at Uni.
metz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-09-2006, 06:41 AM
its maybe because he has been used to people being around him constantly. try leaving him for short spells as you are. when he is quiet go back in after a few mins and give him a big fuss and treats it will take time but he will get there if not try reading up on seperation anxiety
Kate Smith
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-09-2006, 04:27 PM
Reading through your questions and answers has been very helpful.

I don't know if any of you remember me but my dog Ruud was living in the Caribbean. We are now back in England and Ruud has been so well behaved throughout all the difficult times. Travelling back from St Vincent to Barbados then travelling from Barbados to England. When he arrived in England he had to go into quarantine for one night as his papers were not quite right re his flea and tick medication. The girls at Gatwick Quarantine unit were absolutely wonderful and they managed to sort everything out and I got him back the next day.

We had to stay with my cousin for the first couple of days and he was as good as gold there. Then we came up north to stay with MIL and he was good again. My husband followed us so Ruud missed him for a week. Now we have moved into our rented house, it is quite small and Ruud can hear everything from other dogs barking to babies crying.

It seems as a pack animal (Samoyed x labrador) he becomes conserned about us all including the neighbours. Anyway before long I will have to return to work and so will my husband. Ruud has had us with him for nearly one year. When we were not about our cleaning lady was there.

Now how do you all suggest I go about leaving Ruud by himself while we work or even go to the gym even a shopping trip is a worry. Do we get another dog? What do you think. Ruud is such a loveable animal and has been through so much I don't want to make him miserable but we do have to get work to buy the dog food.

What do you all think? I value your opionions. Ask any questions I do need your help please
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >