Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2006, 08:44 AM

Dog peeing

One of our newbies, Sonny needs some help with their dog.

Here's her problem

'My lovely dog sonny is a moungrel but he is lovely.He gets on great with the cat and my two rabbits who are called snowy and charlie.We had sonny because the owners dog had pups and just did not want them.It is very funny now because when the cat goes in its litter tray for a wee, the dog goes after him.And he have also started to wee over the rabitts .And you can tell because the rabbit is white, hope he will stop doing that in future, any ideas how to stop him. '

Anyone any ideas on how to help? She posted it in her intro but wasn't sure if anyone esle had seen it. Sorry if I've done the wrong thing, just wanted to bring it to peoples attention that's all
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-09-2006, 09:06 AM
Hi Sonny and thank you Staffy
I would treat Sonny as a puppy that hasn't been houstrained and start from scratch...that means taking him out to where you wish him to go to relieve himself and staying with him until he does, then give lots of praise and a treat He needs to be taken out frequently until a routine is built and he gets the hang of things.

Can you move the cats tray elsewhere at least until Sonny has established a toileting routine, once he knows what is expected that should help with the rabbit problem too

Remember everything must seem new and exciting to Sonny particularly with all these little furries about and it will take time for him to calm down....
sonny
New Member!
Female 

23-09-2006, 11:43 AM
To minihaha,
Thank you for your advise,will try what you said and i will get back to you.

Thanks sonny.
Rachie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-10-2006, 08:21 PM
Hi there!

I have a Cav that used to pee constantly, luckily it wasn't on anything but was usually 'up' something, whether it be the bin, my chairs and even a couple times my coat. I wasn't impressed as you can well imagine! I went back to basics as advised on this forum and also borrowed a crate. I wasn't sure it'd work and I wasn't sure I liked the idea so didn't want to buy one incase it would be a waste of money. Well it proved to be invaluable, he now knows that if he is naughty (which is not often anymore if at all) then he goes in there. I don't have to put him in there because he just knows.
Basically dogs are den animals and a crate will make them feel safe... it is worth a try. Good luck!

Rachie
x