Female 

09-07-2011, 03:14 PM
So sorry to hear Toby's so poorly fingers crossed he will be ok xx
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-07-2011, 03:31 PM
As he had a coombs test to confirm?
If it is he will need at least 1 blood transfusion dependent on how low his red cell count is and high doses of steroids to suppress his immune system.
dogs only have 2 types of blood the first transfusion it doesnt matter which type he recieves.
have you another med to large dog in case they cant find a donor?
I have a GSD who has been type tested and registered at the hospital in Bury as a donor.
Not sure where you are but in Greater Manchester there are only 2 veterinary practices that can provide transfusions
give me a shout if you need a donor, I dont have transport though so you would have to arrange transport for my dog

unfortunately I lost a dog with this back in Dec 2009, his red cell count was down to 8% and despite 2 transfusions he didnt make it, but I remember the vet saying he had known dogs with lower red cell counts than mine surviving
Good Luck and let me know if you need my dog for blood
Pam
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-07-2011, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by wildmoor View Post
As he had a coombs test to confirm?
If it is he will need at least 1 blood transfusion dependent on how low his red cell count is and high doses of steroids to suppress his immune system.
dogs only have 2 types of blood the first transfusion it doesnt matter which type he recieves.
have you another med to large dog in case they cant find a donor?
I have a GSD who has been type tested and registered at the hospital in Bury as a donor.
Not sure where you are but in Greater Manchester there are only 2 veterinary practices that can provide transfusions
give me a shout if you need a donor, I dont have transport though so you would have to arrange transport for my dog

unfortunately I lost a dog with this back in Dec 2009, his red cell count was down to 8% and despite 2 transfusions he didnt make it, but I remember the vet saying he had known dogs with lower red cell counts than mine surviving
Good Luck and let me know if you need my dog for blood
Pam
That is such a kind offer. He had some blood tests this morning but I don't know specifically which ones. The vet hasn't mentioned transfusions. He is on large doses of corticosteroids.
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-07-2011, 03:47 PM
I will pm you my contact numbers in case you need to get hold of me
Pam
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2011, 03:51 PM
So, so sorry to be reading this tragic news of Toby. I hope they pull out all the stops and can bring him back to full health. You must be in bits, I'm so very sorry. Have never heard of this condition either I'm afraid, but thankfully you now have Wildmoor to help you out. All the very best, please keep us posted on his progress.xxx
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2011, 04:25 PM
So sorry to hear this worrying news about Toby I saw a dog on an Animal Planet programme just last night (Animal ER) who had anaemia - but I am sorry, I don't know whether it is the same type as Toby has. This dog needed to be on steroids and had a number of transfusions, and thankfully recovered.

I will keep everything crossed for a positive outcome for your lovely boy.

Well done to Pam (Wildmoor) too, for coming through with such a kind offer of help.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2011, 06:35 PM
there is hope, if he has got to the vets quick enough, and the vets treat quickly enough, Millie went in with a pcv of 17 and that dropped to 9 within 2 days she was transfused with red blood cells only, she was on large doses of prednislone, atopica, and a couple of others i can't remember make sure they give him gastroprotectants, she is still with us nearly two years later although still on meds and probably will be the rest of her life, she will never be vacced again, is fed raw, and i only use flea treatment where absolutely necessary.

Unfortunately its a nasty disease which is more common in spaniels than people think, the problem with it is, nobody knows what causes it, or really what the best treatment is.

Fingers crossed for him he's in the best place
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2011, 06:40 PM
thread i started on it just after she came down with it

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=105054

oh and azathioprene was the other she stayed on those for nearly a year
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2011, 06:43 PM
So sorry to read this.

(((hugs))) to you and Toby
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2011, 08:19 PM
Im so sorry. You must be besides yourself with worry. I hope you get some good news soon. xx
Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »