View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2005, 06:26 PM
I'm still not switched over to raw, but I'm a member on a few barfsites and learning loads.

My biggest issue is still how I make sure she gets wot she needs of everything, vitamins etc.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2005, 06:29 PM
normally they dont get all their nutrients in one meal so long as over a week or so it gets covered you should be fine, I know a lot of barfers have different view with regards to supplimenting, but if they are getting meaty bones they have the basics. I personally give my dogs a vit c tab a few times a week, a couple of Brewers yeast with garlic, vit e and thats about it, but with my breed a zinc deficiancy is possible so they get a zinc tab to a few times a week.

Mo
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2005, 06:30 PM
Wonderful piccys Mo...beautiful puppies!
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2005, 06:32 PM
At our "barf center" they have a food menu for a month.. If I follow that, I should be covered.....
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2005, 07:00 PM
Thanks Archer

Bellaluna I would think you would be perfectly fine following a menu, at least it takes all the work out of planning,

MO
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2005, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by mo
Thanks Archer

Bellaluna I would think you would be perfectly fine following a menu, at least it takes all the work out of planning,

MO
Yeah it might be good in the beginning till I kinda get a bit secure about wot I'm doing
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2005, 09:48 AM
Sorry to bring this one back but I have been trying Brodie on the Barf diet and had success she was growing in better proportion and her weight was perfect until I gave her a raw chicken leg and was horrified when she threw up a bone with a shard as sharp enough to cut my finger. So I would say the legs are far too thick and strong for them stick to wings if giving chicken at all.
What do most of you put in your dogs bowls for your barf diet dogs?
Ruthlynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2005, 10:18 AM
H there,
Murph's been mostly raw fed for two and a half years with no problems whatso ever. A couple of days ago, I noticed undigested chicken wing bones in Murphs poo. These bones were hard, sharp and I wondered why, all of a sudden Murph would stop digesting the bone? He's now going on to Prize Choice, he was one it before and did well.
So, Luz, to answer your query, Murph's had chicken wings, carcasses, ribs, rabbit, fish, lamb shanks, pigs trotters, pretty much anything.
Apple cider vinager is supposed to help digest the bone, I think. But I'm a wuss and apart from recreational bones, am not giving any more to Murph.....still agree that it's a brilliant way to feed your dogs if you can handle it!
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-07-2005, 10:20 AM
Many people advise that that the weight-bearing bones from chicken, duck, turkey, lamb, etc. should not be fed for the reason you describe. If your dog will chew, rather than attempt to swallow whole, wings, necks & frames seem to be the recommended way to feed raw chicken, and the softer bones from lamb.

If chicken is on the menu I feed ground frames and/or chopped necks to minimize the risk of choking or of ingesting sharp splinters.
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2005, 10:32 AM
I also read somewhere that the bones toughen the intestines of dogs so sharp edges wont puncture, I'm not so sure that could be true. I'm nervous of the diet but am giving it a go still, there really isnt enough help freely available as my vet condones it after having many dogs in with ripped guts.
I just wish you could go into a pet shop and buy it already done for you like regular dog food which is full of rubbish by the way.
Page 5 of 13 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »