Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-07-2006, 12:05 PM

Pining for departed dog-what to do?

Hi there folks!
Well as you know we had to have Polly PTS on Thursday...and since then Florrie has started to pine (we think) she won't eat, drinks rarely, just lies by the front door gazing around, she starts to moan whenever someone comes through the door and starts to frnatically look around them as if Polly will be there...and frankly, shes starting to give us slight cause for concern. i guess it isn't helped by her being in season-but im not too sure whether that makes a difference?
She really is missing her...she founds this blankett earlier with some white hairs on and went nuts, dragging it around the hallway and bouncing all over it..and then she sorta "realised"
So any tips on how to 'cheer her up' again?
Will it just get better as time goes on?
Any advice would be appreciated-and i hope my post makes sense!
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-07-2006, 12:09 PM
Oh dear, its awful to watch isn't it?

Poppy was like this for a while when daisy left us. I just kept her busy and occupied, left the radio on constantly when I wasn't around, and I washed all the blankets and bedding on a really hot wash about three days after daisy went, so that her smells were reduced.

We moved house very shortly after daisy died, so I think the change of house helped a bit in that we had ALL moved on in one way or another. Not that I'm suggesting you move of course.

good luck
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2006, 12:10 PM
aww luke i am sorry to hear that florrie is pineing for polly my two pined over the cat,all i can suggests is plenty of hugs and kisses and leave pollys blankets and toys there for a few days and gradually start to remove them she will be finding it real strange her friend has gone and she dosent know why she will be alright just keep an eye on her make sure she is eating and drinking and she will finally come around sory im not much help but i hope it all works out
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2006, 09:28 PM
it will gradually ease over time but I remember our Yorkie pining for our cat. The cat was standard black and white moggy and whenever Oggie saw one similar in the street he went bounding after it (much to the cat's disgust!).

I think they're like humans in that the pain eases but they never forget. Like the others have said make sure she's eating something - how about giving her a really tasty treat like chicken or even steak! Make lots of fuss of her and let her have her quiet time too.

Remember also that she'll be picking up on your grief too and I don't suppose her season will be helping much either. Sending her lots of hugs and kisses...
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-08-2006, 09:55 PM
Well over the weekend things haven't changed much..she just tends to "mope" all day..and just lies by the door almost "waiting"..
Most sad to see! But she has started to eat n drink normally again which is a BIG improvement...things, i think, will get better with time
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2006, 09:58 PM
sad to watch hope things improve each day x
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2006, 06:01 AM
Hi Luke. This is very sad to watch, especially when there's not that much you can do except be there and offer words and cuddles of comfort. It'll get better honey xx
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2006, 10:35 AM
Oh bless her little heart. I could just cry thinking about her sitting at the door waiting for Polly.

((((((((hugs))))))) to you and Florrie
Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-08-2006, 08:15 AM
Luke I have just found your thread. I am so sorry about Polly. I'm afraid the 'old adage' is true that, Time is a great healer'. Florrie will get better as time goes by, but just be there for each other. Lots of cuddles does help. She willl improve don't worry too much.
Love AnneXX