View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
gsdgirl:-)
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-08-2009, 09:40 PM
Tassle, that is the point, i have been, we have been using a trainer for months and use the tug game every day, i get him so excited when i see a dog come up that he is waiting for that toy so intently his eyes are fixated his whole mind is focussed.....then he sees the other dog. i make liver cake he adores it really really wants it.....then he sees another dog, i use the clicker every time he looks at me away from another dog........and it goes on. please dont tell me i haven't used proper methods because i have done every thing i can.......i'm just saying i dont agree but as the picture show...it calmed the dog. i have even said before my dog has been physically sick because some dogs ran past him, that is stress.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2009, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by gsdgirl:-) View Post
Tassle, that is the point, i have been, we have been using a trainer for months and use the tug game every day, i get him so excited when i see a dog come up that he is waiting for that toy so intently his eyes are fixated his whole mind is focussed.....then he sees the other dog. i make liver cake he adores it really really wants it.....then he sees another dog, i use the clicker every time he looks at me away from another dog........and it goes on. please dont tell me i haven't used proper methods because i have done every thing i can.......i'm just saying i dont agree but as the picture show...it calmed the dog. i have even said before my dog has been physically sick because some dogs ran past him, that is stress.
I did not mean to offend you in any way.
What I did with Tassle is probably not what you need to do with your dog - I was jsut explaining how I had done it. Tassle was in no way interested in any food (she was 18 months before she would eat properly!)

I used a tug game while the dog was going past - never before - but that was just me - I would not dream of advising you on your situation - as I do not know you or your dog.

But - I would say that I do not agree that it calmed the dog. I believe it exhaused the dog - big difference IMO. Once the dog was exhausted CM used that to supress the dog - IE the dog was more fearful of him than the situation.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2009, 09:51 PM
my collie was dog aggressive when i rescued him. to the point that he had become toy obsessed as his previous owner avoided the issue. his previous owner is my best friend so i saw exactly how this dog was treated and how he behaved. he would bark and charge at any dog he saw.

she focused him on his toys every time he looked at another dog. she panicked and she made him incredibly paranoid.

that was 6 years ago. today, he lives with a 15 week old puppy. before that he lived with a lurcher who taught him many doggy manners.

me, i teach him daily that not every dog he meets wants to kill him. this is despite him being attacked twice by the same dog. the second attack requiring veterinary treatment.

i have not used any devices. i haven't strung him up or subjected him to humiliating experiences. i have introduced him to calm dogs, walked him daily and watched and learnt what his triggers are.

he is 12 years old. i am his 5th owner. he has never known anything but positive, encouraging methods to show him there is a different way.

he will never be 'happy' to have another strange dog near him. but he trusts me, and if i'm happy he knows no harm will come to him.

not once have i alpha rolled him, used a shock or prong collar or tightened the lead to the point of strangling him.

for dylan, this is as good as it gets. 3 years into a diagnosis of leukemia (brought on by the massive stress he was under i'm convinced) he acts like a 2 year old dog.

cm's methods would have destroyed him. i am convinced of that.
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-08-2009, 10:00 PM
tassle no offence taken from your reply i think you know how frustrated i feel sometimes and no personally i adore my dog and would never try these methods and i see your point with exhaustion, my point at the time was just that the dog seemed calm.
lillipup that is brilliant and i am sure your dog does trust you as does mine does me and hopefully when he is older and more calm, like your dog, we would have worked through the whole thing together and will have nailed it, fingers crossed but i just have never seen one of cesars pack seem to be scared of him, looking at the body language they all show deep trust?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2009, 10:02 PM
All the rehabilitated dogs I`ve met have the same story - it took time, patience, consistency, understanding and love. I have never met a rehabilitated dog who has become so with confrontational methods.
I have met totally stressed and jumpy dogs being dragged round on-lead who have been `tamed` by confrontational methods, but I don`t accept that the method has changed the dogs` behaviour, just suppressed it.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
All the rehabilitated dogs I`ve met have the same story - it took time, patience, consistency, understanding and love. I have never met a rehabilitated dog who has become so with confrontational methods.
I have met totally stressed and jumpy dogs being dragged round on-lead who have been `tamed` by confrontational methods, but I don`t accept that the method has changed the dogs` behaviour, just suppressed it.
you got in one, suppressed it. this is exactly what my friend did to dylan, he was a nervous wreck because of this.

happy dogs relax, they sleep. they let a puppy curl up next to them and a cat sniff their nose. they don't watch you for every single command because they are unsure how to behave unless you have told them.
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-08-2009, 10:13 PM
no dont say that!! so confused !!my dog is as happy and relaxed as they get indoors, outside a different story, i dont think it is me panicking i work with highly challenging adults with autism so not much panics me!! any way it's reading like it's me thats the problem and i'm going off topic so started a new thread
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2009, 10:20 PM
no dont say that!! so confused !!my dog is as happy and relaxed as they get indoors, outside a different story, i dont think it is me panicking i work with highly challenging adults with autism so not much panics me!! any way it's reading like it's me thats the problem and i'm going off topic so started a new thread
i've replied to your new thread. quite often it is us that is the problem you sound like you really want what's best for your dog. half the battle won already.
JuniorDaddy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-08-2009, 12:06 AM
...i just have never seen one of cesars pack seem to be scared of him, looking at the body language they all show deep trust?
Nor have I gsdgirl, they all look relaxed & happy,the same as my dogs look to me now!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 04:32 AM
They look shut down , that is not relaxed.
Page 105 of 125 « First < 5 55 95 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 115 > Last »