Our sister sites
SarahJ
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-04-2008, 10:56 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
Oh STOP !!!

I'm a 'Phil 'n' Fern' kinda gal myself
Well to be fair i am quite addicted to homes under the hammer.. jammy sods i could do that

Then i clean the buns out messy things jet wash the runs then its time for Pobol y cym, dick van dyke (god doesnt he get everywhere!! got tiresome)
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2008, 10:59 PM
Originally Posted by SarahJ View Post
Well to be fair i am quite addicted to homes under the hammer.. jammy sods i could do that

Then i clean the buns out messy things jet wash the runs then its time for Pobol y cym, dick van dyke (god doesnt he get everywhere!! got tiresome)
OMG Diagnosis Murder ??? I love it
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2008, 06:44 AM
Now I miss Diagnosis murder 'cos it's the school run!!!
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2008, 06:55 AM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
I'm playing devil's advocate now......

How many of you who are complaining about the disruption have NEVER taken your child out of school for an event, holiday etc.....(apart from genuine illness)

If you have never disrupted a teachers' working day, or put your child's education second then you may go ahead and complain.... The boot can be worn on both feet...
Well, my daughter has only been going to school for 2 years (almost) and in that time she has not had one day off or been late, ever! she has had far more time off on their say so, so i shall complain away lol

I'd like more money too but i dont think my boss would appreciate me going on strike
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2008, 06:58 AM
Originally Posted by Vodka Vixen View Post
Well, my daughter has only been going to school for 2 years (almost) and in that time she has not had one day off or been late, ever! she has had far more time off on their say so, so i shall complain away lol

I'd like more money too but i dont think my boss would appreciate me going on strike
If you were in a job that had a union and they asked you to strike as they believed it was justified would you?
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2008, 07:00 AM
Originally Posted by Greyhawk View Post
Yes, teachers have to work incredibly hard - that is the point I was trying to get across. They don't come in at 8:30 and leave at 3:15 (or whenever the children leave) - they work longer hours than most professions during term time and during the 'holidays' they are either planning or marking. Unless you have been in the teaching profession or know people in it, you can't appreciate the amount of work that goes into it

(I only excluded Primary/Junior School teachers as I don't know many ).
But surely it is their choice to be in that profession, you cant say they didint know beforehand what work or hours or money is involved.

There are millions of people that work really hard for little money but we dont all go on strike.
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2008, 07:04 AM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
If you were in a job that had a union and they asked you to strike as they believed it was justified would you?
Thats a very good point Fudgeley

I guess if given the option, if i'm honest i probably would.

Ok i'll shut up now
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2008, 07:14 AM
Originally Posted by Vodka Vixen View Post
But surely it is their choice to be in that profession, you cant say they didint know beforehand what work or hours or money is involved.

There are millions of people that work really hard for little money but we dont all go on strike.
That is true, however how many people risk getting assaulted with no right to defend themselves ? have to deal with aggressive children let alone their equally aggressive parents ? It's not much reported but teachers are assaulted everyday somewhere in the UK by pupils, they have no rights to touch the children to stop the attack, a local teacher was stabbed by a pupil & ended up in court because she grabbed the boys hand to try to stop the attack !! Fortunately the court saw sense(well the jury did)& exonerated her. The child was never punished as he had"behavioural"problems that meant he didn't know what he was doing !!!!

There is no amount of money that would get me into a class room, hospital, police station etc etc etc nowadays. I was assaulted at work & my employers(the then government) blamed me(long story) & sadly this is the same nowadays for any public employees
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2008, 07:22 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
That is true, however how many people risk getting assaulted with no right to defend themselves ? have to deal with aggressive children let alone their equally aggressive parents ? It's not much reported but teachers are assaulted everyday somewhere in the UK by pupils, they have no rights to touch the children to stop the attack, a local teacher was stabbed by a pupil & ended up in court because she grabbed the boys hand to try to stop the attack !! Fortunately the court saw sense(well the jury did)& exonerated her. The child was never punished as he had"behavioural"problems that meant he didn't know what he was doing !!!!

There is no amount of money that would get me into a class room, hospital, police station etc etc etc nowadays. I was assaulted at work & my employers(the then government) blamed me(long story) & sadly this is the same nowadays for any public employees
I think anyone working in the public sector runs that risk, my OH gets abuse every day from children and adults alike and he drives a bus.

I wouldnt do it either!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

22-04-2008, 07:34 AM
Originally Posted by eloquence View Post
oh god sal - don't even go there hun.

I've been into school today and gone off my head at them!!

i'm a single mum of 2 and work full time, i am not allowed the day off work on thursday so what do i do???? leave an 8 year old at home on his own all day??

I'm so cross about this, its about the pay they get - but they forget that they have all the school holidays too - i don't, i only get 4 weeks a year and while i'm at work and the kids are on school holidays it costs me £100 a week per child for a holiday club

Just don't even go there hun!!
I understand your frustrations but I would like to point out that Teachers do not get all the holidays Gorden when he was teaching in a classroom spent either the last 3 weeks or first 3 weeks of his holiday (summer) preparing for the new term.
Same goes for half term breaks and easter breaks half terms he spent nearly all of his holiday preparing for going back the next week and Easter a week so in effect got a weeks holiday. They do not get the time allocated to them in school to do this and after school they are at this meeting or that meeting. when he was a Deputy Head it was even worse it nearly ended our marriage because he was up till midnight preparing for meetings lessons etc.,
I do understand your predicament but I also have to point out the plight of the poor Teachers seeing how ill it made Gorden in the end.
After 9 years of him being out of the job I still feel strongly about this.
Being a Teacher is not all about holidays. I hope I haven't offended anyone.
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >