View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2008, 06:28 PM
There are rumours rumbling here in south Devon TM.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2008, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by Teddysmum View Post
I'm a stay at home mum too. God knows what I'd do otherwise. My two went back today, well, one did as the other has croup.

What is this about a strike. Have heard nothing here in Devon, is it a national thing or just certain areas.
It is a one day national strike but only by members of the NUT. They are campaigning for higher pay for teachers.About 1000 schools out of 17,000 are due to be closed/partially closed.
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2008, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by eloquence View Post
I've been into school today and gone off my head at them!!

I'm so cross about this, its about the pay they get - but they forget that they have all the school holidays too
I think that unless you have been in the teaching profession you can not appreciate how hard teachers actually work. They certainly don't swan around for the 6 weeks they have off, several actually still go in and work for a good portion of it!

Originally Posted by dollyknockers View Post
It also has a serious effect on kids education as well , When teachers decide to strike kids miss school and miss out on vital learning days , xdk
To be fair, this is the first national strike in 21 years - I don't think they make that much of a difference to the learning over that period of time
eloquence
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2008, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by Greyhawk View Post
I think that unless you have been in the teaching profession you can not appreciate how hard teachers actually work. They certainly don't swan around for the 6 weeks they have off, several actually still go in and work for a good portion of it!

To be fair, this is the first national strike in 21 years - I don't think they make that much of a difference to the learning over that period of time
my sister is a teacher, and i can assure you she does NOT go into school during the holidays! I'm sorry but i don't think they have good cause to strike. I don't know anyone who is happy with the amount of money they earn - lets face it, we'd all like to earn more!!
But what annoys me most is that they think they can call the shots and screw up our kids education.

Another direct result of this strike is that the elderly people (who can't get themselves out of bed, or dressed, or even feed themselves) that i normally go to every morning in my job will suffer. I think its disgusting tbh.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2008, 07:53 PM
I'm playing devil's advocate now......

How many of you who are complaining about the disruption have NEVER taken your child out of school for an event, holiday etc.....(apart from genuine illness)

If you have never disrupted a teachers' working day, or put your child's education second then you may go ahead and complain.... The boot can be worn on both feet...
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2008, 07:54 PM
Total pain in the bum!!

Is it all schools in bristol, heard a small amount on radio but not had anything from the schools yet.

Will have to loose another days pay, been home 2 weeks and not been payed.
eloquence
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2008, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
I'm playing devil's advocate now......

How many of you who are complaining about the disruption have NEVER taken your child out of school for an event, holiday etc.....(apart from genuine illness)

If you have never disrupted a teachers' working day, or put your child's education second then you may go ahead and complain.... The boot can be worn on both feet...
i took the kids to crufts (1 day!) this year, other than that they both have a full attendance record!

May i complain more now
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2008, 08:24 PM
2 years ago i booked a cheap sun holiday. When i informed the headmaster i was on the receiving end of a big lecture regarding my children losing days of education. I told him the only reason i booked during school holidays was because it was so much more cheaper and just couldn't afford the same holiday in august, i was more or less told it was no excuse. My children were 8 and 10.

Haven't done this for the last 2 years, but it does seem to be one rule for one and not another. Also i am curious if anyone knows. What do teachers do on "in service days".

Because that is another 4 days per year school missed.

sorry just my 2p worth
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2008, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by eloquence View Post
my sister is a teacher, and i can assure you she does NOT go into school during the holidays!
I never said ALL do, but several I know do (I am not talking about primary school teachers though).
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2008, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by Greyhawk View Post
I never said ALL do, but several I know do (I am not talking about primary school teachers though).
My brother & SIL were both Junior school teachers & both went into school during the holidays & my friend is a school cleaner also doesn't get all the school holidays off because they have to be in when the teachers are, especially if the head etc want any changes made to the equipment.

Teachers don't just turn up at school & teach, they have to prepare lesson plans & term plans etc & this is done during the holidays either at school or at home as well on the evenings & weekends during term time
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »