Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
paw-paw
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-12-2008, 11:08 AM

home remedies against worms, fleas...

Since going thru some threads and I see that people don't like to use artificial stuff I was wondering...What did you use before there were such meds available (wormers, anti flea treatments..)?

For example I know that people here used to give garlic (mixed in warm milk) to babies so they wouldn't have worms. Maybe this would work for dogs too? I know that garlic can be toxic to dogs in bigger quantities - but it needs to be toxic to some extent because it has to kill the parasites, right?

And for fleas in dogs I know they planted some shrubs in the garden that repels fleas. They were usually planted around dog houses...(it is called flea shrub, but I don't know the latin name else would look it up to see how to say it in english)

And than people used to make flea repelers out of strong smelling plants...

So what home remedies did you use? I just think it would be interesting to see what people used and were they successful or not (or maybe some people still use)...
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2008, 11:12 AM
We use garlic capsules for fleas and four seasons for wormer http://www.homoeopet.co.uk/fourseasons.htm so far no fleas, no worms.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2008, 01:57 PM
I use the same as what my grandad did
a natural diet )
(touch wood) so far so good, the increased health and lower pH in blood make them less attractive to nasties in general
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2008, 02:55 PM
In days of old when dogs were not given worming medication or vaccinations they just got ill. Now when most are given treatment there are less of the problems about so even if the dog is not treated they would be unlucky to become badly effected.

Worms are a bit different to infection as the load a pup carries depends to a great extent on how heavily infected the bitch was, once the pups have the worms cleared providing they are not poo or carcase eaters then it is unlikely it will become infested although it is always possible.

Fleas are different again as these days most flea infestations comes from cats or fox and dog fleas are becoming rare. However if you or a neighbour own cats that are not regularly treated flea the dogs will get them in the end even if you are unaware of it.
EBMEDIC
Dogsey Junior
Male 

07-12-2008, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I use the same as what my grandad did
a natural diet )
(touch wood) so far so good, the increased health and lower pH in blood make them less attractive to nasties in general
The pH of blood is tightly controlled. If you are succeeding in altering the pH then it would be expected to see severe metabolic disorders associated with with these changes.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2008, 11:33 PM
Sorry, dont think I ment the blood, but deff the gut and the insides
and you are wrong anyway, these are not the changes, its the more alkali conditions inside kibble fed dogs that are the unnatural ones causing ill health and parasite infestations
EBMEDIC
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-12-2008, 09:31 PM
The pH of the blood is controlled to within 0.05. (ph 7.35 - 7.4). Other tissues have similar or tighter levels of control. The importance of maintaining these levels is demonstrated by the number of mechanisms which maintain this level. See here

http://www.usyd.edu.au/anaes/lecture...b/control.html

eating acid or alkali foods are not implicated in disease. Or have you other evidence?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2008, 11:46 PM
As I said, sorry I didnt mean the blood but the gut
It has been proven in human nutrition that meat keeps a v low pH (more acidic) and carbs cause the gut to become more alkali
This website has a lot of stuff in it - including an experiment I was planning myself, whew, now dont need to figure out where to get hold of the acid
http://www.mountaindogfood.com/Healt...e_response.htm

It is of course a dog food manufacturer/seller, but its just the 1st link I came across in this search

The dogs gut is supposed to have a v low pH, we are feeding things that cause that pH to become unnatural, letting bacteria thrive that wouldnot have otherwise existed

also pepsin is denatured at the higher pH's which puts a strain on the pancreas

also the high unnes carbs in the diet put stress on the liver to produce more bile

and it is well recognised that fleas and worms much prefer an unhealthy animal, the low gut pH makes for a healthier animal that is less attractive to these nasties
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

09-12-2008, 09:57 AM
Garlic or Apple cider Vinegar for flea control.

Raw liquidised Spinnach in a little vegetable oil for skin allergies, sprinkled over the dogs meal.
buddi bo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-12-2008, 11:40 PM
Hi, i was told raw corrots are a natural wormer , i dont know how true this is but my 5 mth pup old loves raw carrot,he also eats lots of veg with his meals.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >