View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2005, 12:18 PM
if i dont walk indie in time, ie b4 2pm she will sit there barking at me and bounce off the walls
i find if i just take her on a lead walk she is still hyped up when we get home, but if i take her up the common to go offlead she is fast asleep when we get home
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2005, 12:20 PM
if i even walk past the hall cupboard where maxs lead is kept or look at my shoes max is up on his starting blocks!
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2005, 12:21 PM
hoggett: "I am waiting of somebody complaining about cruelty to animals"

My brother is disabled, he had an accident with a kite (the power kind) last year and is now paralysed from the waist down. he can still do alot, and is in no way 'vegetated' as he could have been (he was 'lucky' where his spine snapped).
Anyway the school raised enough funds and bought him a quad bike (he is really sporty), and we go regularly to the beach/forest to play with it (i need to get one, they are way fun) jaz and prinz take great pleasure in barking at this thing to get it moving, and then proceed to chase it up and down the entire length of the beach. Apparently greyhounds can go 44mph, well we have clocked jaz at 30 running beside the quad. prinz is always a dot on the horizon, he has too short legs to keep up (breaks my heart) but never ever gives up so long as he can hear the engine (talk about 'gameness' eh!) (he refuses to be carried on the quad while its moving, he must chase it!)
anyway when we have had a day at the beach, the dogs are tired for days afterwards but we just take it easy then. someone said to me 'if the sspca saw that, you would be in trouble' but i cant see what the problem is, they love it, they arent aggressive, they just want to chase it. when they get too tired, we just turn it off, and they lie down. what do you think? am i being cruel?
Russ
Almost a Veteran
Male 

10-03-2005, 12:26 PM
Sounds like great fun jess, not cruel
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2005, 12:34 PM
I do between 40 mins and 2 hours a day.
It depends where we go! There are 3 different places I walk, although I wish I knew more, as I get bored!
We do some road walking first, then off lead running/playing/paddling (teagan wont swim!).
Then we do some frisbee chasing (I chase it! lol), then we cool down by doing some more road walking.
iwlass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-03-2005, 12:54 PM
My pup is still only 9 months old, and so is on restricted exercise (of 5 mins for every month of his life per day) until his joints have fully formed at about 12/18 months old....

Then, I hope to take him training with me in preparation for a 26 mile sponsored walk that takes place annually near my home...so I imagine he will get hours and hours then
kirstie b
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-03-2005, 12:58 PM
Well we're back just been round 4 farmers fields waded around the mud ponds up there, discovered some new large rodent species to chase (vole like things bloody 'orrible they were and BIG)
Bosun rolled in many different fragrant findings, had a good run about and wrestle then on the way back Bosun got to play with a gorgeous 7 mnth old lurcher now we're all filthy and they're alsleep already... bliss
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2005, 12:58 PM
hmmm, thats another question of mine, i will make another thread....
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2005, 01:06 PM
Very much depends on age and size of the dogs IMO Duncan Yorkie can walk 3-4 hours with no problems Mollie Lab cross will not enjoy that at all so she has 20 minute walks with lots of ball throwing. Some of our other dogs only liked long walks and some liked short one we tend to just see what they enjoy and try to fit in around them.
TamT
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-03-2005, 01:10 PM
Jess it doesnt sound cruel at all ...
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »