View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2005, 01:37 PM
I was actually going to say something about the no collar wearing dogs whilst being walked.
I was going to say what would happen if another dog attacked yours, you would have nothing to help get your dog to safety etc.

Kingsley is practically bomb proof, but the other week, he fell in love with a Westie (male!) and refused to come back to us. If he had run away with no collar on (I trust him enough not to have one, but he does), what would have happened!
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2005, 02:18 PM
I agree with Laura whole heartedly.

My eldest GSD is bomb proof and is under total control outside. He is an extremly obedient dog at all times. Even when he's running about, when he's told to 'wait' he responds by sitting as soon as he's slowed down enough, but I still put his collar on when we're out.

IMHO, no matter how well trained your dog is, all it takes is one distraction. At least with a collar, you are able to control that situation.

All three of my dogs rarely wear collars indoors
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2005, 02:26 PM
All of mine keep their collars on at all times, unless being bathed........once the kids left the gate open and 4 escaped, they were found within a mile of home by people out walking their dogs who called the number on their tags!

So definitely keep them on!
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2005, 03:41 PM
Mine wear their collars at all times - having had one dash out the front door once when the postman called I decided a collar to grab would be a good idea. And as is already stated it is a legal requirment out side.

To Jess who hasn't had any problem with the law when walking her dogs with no collar does this mean we can all pick and choose the laws we will obey or break and it's ok as long as we don't get caught ?
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2005, 04:04 PM
julie, i didnt mean to sound like ' i havent been caught yet' i mean i havent heard of anyone getting into trouble because of no collars! if i had then i would prob just do it to stay out of trouble, i dont go looking for it!

as for whoever said that a reason to have a collar is so you can pull them out of a fight - never ever a good idea, dogs dont know what they are doing when fighting, i have tried to seperate dogs before, and learned my lesson, they are biting, not thinking of what they are biting at the time. in a fight, its unlikely that you could get in and pull your dog out without seriously putting yourself at risk. (i am talking about fight fights, not squabbles which are much more common)
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2005, 04:18 PM
We have had several prosecutions round here Jess for having no identification disc so no collar would also be prosecuted I think. Dog wardens are becoming more common better to head the law now than get a fine. IMO.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2005, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by jess
as for whoever said that a reason to have a collar is so you can pull them out of a fight - never ever a good idea, dogs dont know what they are doing when fighting, i have tried to seperate dogs before, and learned my lesson, they are biting, not thinking of what they are biting at the time. in a fight, its unlikely that you could get in and pull your dog out without seriously putting yourself at risk. (i am talking about fight fights, not squabbles which are much more common)
I've used Teagan's collar several times.
I would rather me get hurt than her.
She got attacked by a black dog, and didn't attack back. I used her collar to pull her away, whilst I used my leg to get the other dog away.

When Teagan has attacked Kingsley, the reason Kingsley isn't dead now is because I got hold of teagan's collar and got her off Kingsley.

Teagan fell down an embankment, and was scrabbling to get back up, so one hand was used on her collar, and the other round her waist to pull her up.

I don't just mean 'fights' where both dogs are biting each other.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2005, 04:45 PM
an interesting (worrying) aspect to this is because mine dont wear collars at home I do wonder what would happen if we had to leave the house quickly say in a fire for example where we wouldnt be able to reach the collar and lead
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2005, 06:02 PM
i was thinking the same thing so may have to keep a collar upstairs now incase of such a thing occuring !!!

dani
LF
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-03-2005, 06:41 PM
I thought I was the only paranoid one (see my post on page one of this thread ) I keep a set of collars and leads upstairs in my bedside cabinet exactly because I worry about there being a fire! I reckon we need them to either lead the dogs to safety or to give the Firefighters something to grab onto as they rescue the dogs out of our upstairs window! And they'll have to rescue the dogs first or we won't go!

Lesley
Page 6 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 >