View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2005, 06:12 PM
Im always surprised at the number of offlead dogs that run up to my two when mine are on the lead- given the stigma of staffys
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2005, 06:22 PM
hmm, well i have indie offlead, and most of the time she listens when i tell her to leave the other dog, but sometimes her curiosity gets the better of her. Its hard sometimes to judge a situation. Like just because another dog is onlead doesnt always mean the dog is bad, jus might not have a good recall or whatever.

I guess i half expect the other person to tell me that their dog isnt good with other dogs and ask me to put mine back onlead. Altho if i see someone with a dog onlead and they look to be pulling it to the side i generally shout across and ask if they would like me to put mine onlead. dont get me wrong, im not one of those owners who dont go and collect their dog if somethin starts, most of the time u'll see me falling across the field tryin to get indie back
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2005, 06:47 PM
This is my biggest gripe I have malamutes, they are not known to be over friendly with other dogs, mine are no exception, I must keep mine on lead, unless in an enclosed area, with no other dogs/animals around, it infuriates me that when walking my dogs who I have to have in haltis, people allow there dogs to come face to face with my dogs, not even attempting to put theirs on lead, I have to constantly shout over to the owners "can you call your dog please, as my dogs are not very friendly" even on saying this I get ohh my dogs only wanting to say hello as if that makes a difference, I dont want to get in the situation where my dog takes the face off another dog, because the owners couldnt be arsed, getting their dogs on lead, I now try to walk in areas where other dogs dont go, or walk them in unsociable hours, I know to a degree its my problem, but surely a bit of consideration from others is not asking too much, I would never let my dogs(wether sociable or not) get into the face of a dog on lead

Mo
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2005, 06:47 PM
I'm going to be honest here, I very rarely put either of my two on the lead whether the other dog is on lead or not. Like someone said I know the majority of dogs in the village and most are fine. But even if I'm out somewhere new once I've been out with them for 10 minutes and they've calmed down then I just let them go and keep an eye on them. And to be honest I've yet to have a problem doing this. If the dog on the lead is aggressive Woody seems able to judge this and backs off accordingly, running back to me as requested. But I can't remember this ever happening, if a dog on a lead did attack Woody then the only person I would blame is me I would never blame the other person. Woody gets so much joy out of other dog interaction I don't want to deny him that opportunity.
My gripe round where I live is a few owners who walk their dogs offlead but expect any other off lead dog to be on a lead because their dog doesnt like being approached by other dogs
This also really annoys me. We have someone in the village with a black gsd that is one of the most aggressive dogs I've ever encountered, it has attacked many dogs in the village and I can see it all ending in tears. Does he keep the dog on a lead, no! He doesn't even muzzle it when off lead, so when the dog sees another dog it's off and he has no control. That's irresponsibility for you.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-03-2005, 07:20 PM
If another dog approaches us on the lead I put Star back on.

If the other dog is running about off lead I usually leave Star off the lead. Although if its a toy breed I usually put her back on til they pass.
Runstock
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-03-2005, 07:31 PM
The type of owner that really annoy me are the ones we came accross last week. Two women walking their tiny Yorkshire Terriers off the lead. Soon as the little bu**ers saw my three (must admit to secretly admiring their pluck ) they came racing up and started darting, nipping and yapping. Now I have my three strung up by their necks front feet off the ground so they cannot reach the terrors and all you can hear is the two women laughing as they carry on ambling towards us They only quickened when it was obvious I was not finding it funny or easy to stop one of my three from twisting around and lunging at one of them. Fortunately just out of reach as I had shortened the lead.

Why do some owners off the smaller breeds think its fun for their "Fifi" to provoke other dogs on or off lead... probably looks comical, but they must realise the risk they are taking with such small dogs. Any nip, bite or shake from an average sized dog would be severe
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2005, 07:37 PM
These are the type of owners that, if your dog would try and defend itself, would turn round and say "ooh my poor little fifi, she was only playing and your nasty dog attacked her. I'm going to sue!"
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2005, 08:23 PM
if i see a dog on a lead then max goes on his lead simple as that i wouldnt take the risk incase their og is on a lead for a very good reason. my dad has a dog aggressive gsd and it is now muzzled aswell because so many people would let their dogs run at her
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

08-03-2005, 09:45 PM
I have to keep my two on lead at the moment as I am trying (emphasis on trying) to train them not to round up everything that moves - the amount of times people have allowed their dogs to run up to me and then they all get tangled - and all they do is stand back and watch - don't even call their dogs back.

Another moan - is the amount of people who tell me to just take them off lead - yet if my dogs ran out of control they would be the first to complain!

Training them would be a wee bit easier if these people just understood a little and put their dogs back on lead when they see me.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2005, 09:47 PM
Today on our walk teagan was offlead playing in the river.
A collie came up, also off lead. The owner smiled at me, so I thought all must me ok.
Teagan went to say hello, and his dog bared it's teeth, and started snarling at Teagan. She gets scared when they do this, and panics, but I don't want her to attack or anything.
I called her over to me, and his dog carried on snarling, and he said "Aww, she just wants to play".
I just dragged Teagan away, as his dog did not want to play!
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >