Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2010, 03:00 PM

Advice on taking snow photos please

Sorry there are no photos here but thought this may be the best place to ask. I'm trying to get a really good photo of my dog in the snow but what Im finding is that its quite hard to get a really pretty photo of a black dog against pure white snow. So not sure if I should change settings, or perhaps a 'close up' photo would be better?

So, please if you can give me any advice I would really appreciate it

So far I just think mine look 'harsh'

Perhaps I might try taking them in black and white - might look better?
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2010, 03:34 PM
I would experiment with the different settings on your camera....The problem is the extreme contrasts and the photo may seem blown(detail goes).....I would try putting some of your photos through some editing software and see what you can tweak....Are you using a compact camera or SLR?

Picasa 3 is free and a very easy one to use........

Good luck.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2010, 03:48 PM
Thanks Fudgeley, think I might have to use software which I was trying to avoid through lack of patience lol I have photoshop but its sooo long since I used it, might have to try the Picassa.

I dont have film just now (dont have a digital SLR ) so using a Fujifilm compact which is great but I'm think I may have to start using the manual settings on it instead of the preset settings and effects? To get a 'softer' photo?
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2010, 06:48 PM
You could try the sunny setting as it should counteract the glare you get from the sun on the snow.....
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2010, 06:50 PM
oh, thanks, I will give that a shot 2mo and update!