Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2011, 02:41 PM

Could pasta cause diarrhoea?

Duke has been doing really well on Arden grange sensitive and hasn't had the runs for months (he had quit a few bouts of vomiting and diarrhoea a while ago). Last night i made abit too much pasta so gave both the dogs some with their dinner (not much), but this morning duke had slimey bits in his poo then on his walk another sloppy poo and now diarrhoea! The only thing he had different is the pasta unless he got something i don't know about!
Could it be the pasta that has caused it, my other dog is fine.
Thanks
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2011, 02:42 PM
Pasta's never had that effect on my two, and I've never heard of it having that effect.

Did the pasta have any sauce on it?
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2011, 02:45 PM
Toro has mucusy pooh if she gets pasta...everything my 3 get now is fish based and they're all doing well on it xx
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2011, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by jesterjenn View Post
Pasta's never had that effect on my two, and I've never heard of it having that effect.

Did the pasta have any sauce on it?
No i took some out before adding the sauce, so it was just plain.
I assumed it would be fine as its bland.

Originally Posted by inkliveeva View Post
Toro has mucusy pooh if she gets pasta...everything my 3 get now is fish based and they're all doing well on it xx
Thats interesting to know then..so it might well be the pasta.
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-10-2011, 03:02 PM
Mucus is the bowel getting rid of an irritation and the diarrhea is the result of the bowel absorbing water to flush the irritation out. If pasta is the only extra thing given then I think you can safely say it would have been better not to have added it to the regular food.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

11-10-2011, 03:08 PM
If it's wheat pasta then it will contain gluten - so yes, it could be that.

Boiled potatoes would be more tolerable for dogs
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2011, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by rueben View Post
Mucus is the bowel getting rid of an irritation and the diarrhea is the result of the bowel absorbing water to flush the irritation out. If pasta is the only extra thing given then I think you can safely say it would have been better not to have added it to the regular food.
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
If it's wheat pasta then it will contain gluten - so yes, it could be that.

Boiled potatoes would be more tolerable for dogs
He had been doing so well I hope this doesn't make him poorly again. A while back he had real bad V & D to the point where he covered the kitchen floor

Should i starve him tonight? My vet normally says to feed little and often whereas other vets say to starve
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-10-2011, 03:26 PM
I'd give food a miss for today to give the bowel a chance to calm down. It won't do any harm to leave food out until tomorrow. I think it would be best not to add extras to an already complete food.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2011, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by kirsty_ View Post
Duke has been doing really well on Arden grange sensitive and hasn't had the runs for months (he had quit a few bouts of vomiting and diarrhoea a while ago). Last night i made abit too much pasta so gave both the dogs some with their dinner (not much), but this morning duke had slimey bits in his poo then on his walk another sloppy poo and now diarrhoea! The only thing he had different is the pasta unless he got something i don't know about!
Could it be the pasta that has caused it, my other dog is fine.
Thanks
Wheat is a common cause of food intolerance and allergies (hence why many so called "hypoallergenic" make the omission of it a "USP").

Dogs are not designed to process grains or cereals and many, like humans, can find they trigger IBS, colitis etc etc.

I would advise omitting it wherever possible.

There is no proven need for carbohydrates in dogs.

Better to give cooked potato if you wish to give carbs, or if you have to feed grains, oats or rice in that order.

HTH
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2011, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by rueben View Post
I'd give food a miss for today to give the bowel a chance to calm down. It won't do any harm to leave food out until tomorrow. I think it would be best not to add extras to an already complete food.
ok thanks. Its not something i normally do, i had just made to much for myself and i won't be adding that again!

Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Wheat is a common cause of food intolerance and allergies (hence why many so called "hypoallergenic" make the omission of it a "USP").

Dogs are not designed to process grains or cereals and many, like humans, can find they trigger IBS, colitis etc etc.

I would advise omitting it wherever possible.

There is no proven need for carbohydrates in dogs.

Better to give cooked potato if you wish to give carbs, or if you have to feed grains, oats or rice in that order.

HTH
Thanks for the info. He has been doing alot better since being on a grain free diet (white fish and potatoe) Then i go and add pasta!! stupid me!