Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2005, 01:08 PM

under exercising the young?

I thought this would be another interesting topic...

i have heard that when you have a larger breed of dog, you need to watch out how much exercise you give, as they take a while for limbs etc to develop. What were you told at the time to give your pup and for how long (until what age)?

Also i have seen some people go over-board on this, and with small dogs not take them out until 6 months old. Correct me if i am wrong, i think this is absurd. Prinz was out walking from 7 weeks, and he learned to paw my leg when he was tired, i would carry him. I have always been an avid walker and he would come everywhere with me, if only to sleep in my arms, or in the basket on my bike (too big for him now...!) Do you think i have done damage by such exercise at such a young age? His limbs have formed fine, and there are no apparent probs (he is almost 2) so far. My concern is people are over doing the under-exercise because of worry (and what they have been told). I know that certain dogs are prone to hip dysplasia so owners have a right to worry, but what about other breeds?
Thinking about young animals in the wild, there is no one to restrict their play, the only factor that stops them is tiredness....

Does anyone else understand what i mean?
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2005, 01:13 PM
Hi Jess
I really think it depends on the breed and any health probs associated with the breed. I know we were told not to walk ours too much when young- being staffys they can go for ever and I suppose I did worry a bit when they were little.
Stairs are another concern along this topic- as to what age dogs should be going up and down- again related to the breed I suppose

By the way- yes I know what you mean
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-03-2005, 01:20 PM
Hi Jess,

can't speak for other breeds, but I know the rottweiler well, and I think this goes for other molossers too. Satch was 10 weeks when we started walking, and then it was only to the top of our road and back. It's imperative that large breed dogs prone to HD and ED are walked very little, but that doesn't mean they can't have exercise. The reason for limited 'walkies' is that it's repetative action - the same goes for running upstairs or lots of jumping. Molosser breed puppies shouldn't jump too much and shouldn't go up and down stairs - not just cos it puts strain on their growing limbs, but because of the repetative action.

As a puppy, Satch used to get very short walks, but lots of non-jumping play in the garden and the house. At 14 months, he's still growing so still doesn't get very long walks, but tears round the garden during the day, plays fetch etc.

Becs
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2005, 01:22 PM
i guess i didnt know at the time that i should be thinking about too much exercise. i am anxious that i have done something irreversible to my little dog, he is the only one i had since teeny weeny. but at the same time, he seems fine! he slept alot, as pups do, and i didnt 'make' him walk (as i said i carried him alot)

something has just struck me though. its fine with little russells and the like, but when you have rotty pup (just popped into my head, as i saw the most adorable one yesterday), its not so easy to carry around when it gets tired, so we would be 'making' it walk.
so i guess 'they' say not to over do it as a general rule. perhaps though some people get a bit overly worried, and dont exercise when its perfectly ok?
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2005, 01:24 PM
I started Teagan with 10 mins walks, and worked out way up.
She didn't get let off lead at all at first, and couldn't run unless in the garden.
She is off lead now, and has a little run on her walks.

Teagan is only allowed up/down stairs if one of us is there to help her.

I read somewhere that the dog should have something like 10 mins of exercise for every month of it's age (whilst it is growing).
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2005, 01:24 PM
I think most of the time it is just down to common sense to be honest pups should be pups imo and we should not expect too much of them.

I have heard the same thing about larger breeds as they take much longer to mature but as I have never owned really large breeds I cant say for sure what age. I know with Staffords most people say you should not start any kind of serious exercise until they are about 18 or so months old...like Lel says though they could go on forever at any age.

It's all about getting the balance right I guess and like I say common sense. To little exercise can be just as bad as too much....as these prove...

Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2005, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by jess
so i guess 'they' say not to over do it as a general rule. perhaps though some people get a bit overly worried, and dont exercise when its perfectly ok?
Yep, I think people do worry too much.
A growing pup does need exercise, to keep it healthy, and develop it's muscles, but too much can be bad!
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2005, 01:25 PM
whos is that dog Laura?
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2005, 01:27 PM
With Kira being a larger breed I worry about walking her too much as you know Jess ,I usually take her and Benji in the woods for a run around every afternoon for about 45 mins ,I was worried this might be too much as her and Benji run about crazy for most of that time ,I spoke to the N.I. society forum about it and one of the breeders said that sounds a ok time to have her out
Also both dogs play in the garden when they want and come outside when I am doing stuff out there too
lol they have dug up my raised flower bed and turned half the grass into mud ,but as long as they are happy thats the main thing
kirstie b
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-03-2005, 01:27 PM
I saw the fattest staffy ever in town the other day - he honestly looked like a pot bellied pig poor wee thing
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >