Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kitla
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-02-2011, 05:29 PM

Should I delay booster?

Toffee (7) had a small skin tumour removed a couple of months ago, her booster is due but I'm not sure if I should
put it off a bit longer, any advice?
(I dont have alot of confidence in our vet's advice.)
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 05:50 PM
Hi Kitla, I always let mine go slightly over, Max's last one was almost 3 months overdue as most vaccines last a lot longer than what our vets tell us!

One thing I will say is that if you don't trust your vet's advice I would be changing vets. To me a vet should be someone I trust more than my own doctor, we know what we are feeling when we are unwell, our dogs can't tell us and you rely on your own observations and your vet's knowlege, if you don't trust your vet's knowlege then there is a problem.
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 05:56 PM
Agree with Majuka. I would definitely delay Toffee's booster and look to changing vets. I totally trust mine.
Was the tumor binign. Hope Toffee is ok.
kitla
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-02-2011, 09:32 PM
Thanks, yes it was just a small tumour & was fully removed.
Think I'll leave the booster till just before our hols so she's
ok for the kennel.
I know I should change vets really, they're not bad, just
some of them are not so good with people, if you know what I mean. This vet is 5 mins away with tons of parking,
whereas the others involve fighting traffic into town & no
carpark. I wonder if they'd mind me being registered at both!
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 10:41 PM
I believe that the protocols for vaccinations state that only dogs in full health should receive them.

In addition, it's interesting to note that in America the official advice is now changing in favour of not having annual boosters.

You might consider having your dog titer tested? Not sure I've spelled this correctly but I believe it involves testing which diseases your dog's immunity to is low.

There are many cases of dogs catching diseases despite being vaccinated, also. Some vaccinations don't last that long.

In my humble opinion, after having done a lot of reading around this topic, annual boosters are a bad idea. Just my opinion, though.

If you have no confidence in your vet, why not find another one?
kitla
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-02-2011, 08:36 AM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
I believe that the protocols for vaccinations state that only dogs in full health should receive them.

In addition, it's interesting to note that in America the official advice is now changing in favour of not having annual boosters.

You might consider having your dog titer tested? Not sure I've spelled this correctly but I believe it involves testing which diseases your dog's immunity to is low.

There are many cases of dogs catching diseases despite being vaccinated, also. Some vaccinations don't last that long.

In my humble opinion, after having done a lot of reading around this topic, annual boosters are a bad idea. Just my opinion, though.

If you have no confidence in your vet, why not find another one?
I agree, I do worry about the booster being a bad thing.
Unfortunately, we had a scare a couple of years ago, Toffee had such awful runs the vet put her on a drip & I
realised we'd missed her last booster & the vet thought it
could be parvo at first. It wasnt but now I worry about not having the booster aswell!
Titer testing looks interesting, a bit controversial whether it works though, & I presume very expensive?
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by kitla View Post
Titer testing looks interesting, a bit controversial whether it works though, & I presume very expensive?

It works in the sense that it can tell you which if any vaccinations a dog needs. As for cost - I'm not sure, I'm afraid.

You could ask your vet, or if you change to another vet that you have more confidence in, you might get more info from them?

Good luck with whatever you decide, it's such a tricky issue and we all desperately want to do the best for our dogs
kitla
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-02-2011, 07:06 AM
I phoned my vets yesterday for their advice on this, I was
told that they take the advice of the vaccine company,
& if Toffee doesnt have her booster within 15months she would be unprotected & require a full vacc. programme,
they said the titer testing didnt cover all the diseases included in the vacine. I'll ring another vet today to see if
they have a different view.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 09:16 AM
From looking into it, a number of vets seem to say 15 months is the cut off, although as I understand it, the vaccine manufactures of some vaccines can last up to 3 years. I have read on the internet that some people say that their vets told them that one of the reasons they stress the importance of vaccines is so that they can make sure they see fairly healthy dogs at least once a year and that some people wouldn't bring their dog for his annual health check but would bring it in annually to have their boosters done. How true that is I don't know as obviously you can't trust everything you read on the internet! If you search through past threads on here there are so many different opinions on and experinces of vaccines If your current vet accepts that you can delay things for up to 15 months you have a while to decide what you want to do but it would be interesting to see what another practice told you.

I am considering titre testing with future dogs (Max is very nervous at the vets and I feel it is probably quicker to inject the vaccine rather than take blood from him).

As I understand it, the downsides of titre testing is that they cost more (I think), some insurance companies won't accept it and some boarding kennels as well. The plus side of course is that you are not over vaccinating a dog unnecassarily.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 09:21 AM
Id not get her done again,shes 7