Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2010, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by crestnut View Post
IMO Its good to get yourself a good mentor of your chosen breed and take it from there, I had a good mentor and followed her breeding plans etc constantly eg Picking of Studs, watching progency of said Stud in ring, health testing, care of the Bitch and finally to the whelping of the pups. You do not learn enough imo by reading books or asking members of a forum
How do you find a good mentor though?? What if by chance your mentors breeding plan was flawed?? How would you know?? What if those people asking on the forum had been doing that but wanted to see what else they should/could do to make sure they had all bases covered.
I get that a lot of people are saying a forum is not the place to ask for specific information, but I think it is better than not asking at all and just breeding anyway. I guess damage control before there is a litter. Something like what JoedeeUK wrote would be great (IMO) and I am sure others have their breeding stories that could show people what they did (not to do with specifics) and the years it has taken to get them to a point in knowing enough.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2010, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
i hate when people use that 'arguement'

However it is true, I will give you a breed that i know very well as an example-GSDs

Only twice in over 40 years of doing GSDS rescue, has the lady who runs the one I help, had a dog bred by a responsible breeder taken to her. One was bred by myself & known to her & was taken by the owner-who told her the breeder had been contacted & told them to take it to her(totally untrue), this dog was collected by me within 24 hours(& I was living over 4 hours driving time away at the time)& the other was bred by a breeder who would have taken her back, but agreed that she could come to my Dad instead, because at the time he was dogless & looking for another GSD. All the other dogs were/are bred by people who don't give a d*mn about what happens to their puppies & who don't bother to health test, show or work their dogs & whose dogs are obviously not being bred for any purpose other than lining their pockets.

Stop the responsible breeders of GSDs from breeding & all that is left are those who breed for the money-meaning no GSDs for the police etc because most "gifted"dogs fail to make the grade.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2010, 01:58 PM
QUOTE] i am also against people breeding crossbreeds for any other reason than health. [/QUOTE]

hi
can you please explain to me what you mean
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2010, 02:08 PM
I to am against cross breeding other than for the health of a breed, like with the dalmation.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2010, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by Emma View Post
It makes sense, are you telling me I can't breed Maltese cross Poodle because I want a dog breed called Maltipoo

Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
However it is true, I will give you a breed that i know very well as an example-GSDs

Only twice in over 40 years of doing GSDS rescue, has the lady who runs the one I help, had a dog bred by a responsible breeder taken to her. One was bred by myself & known to her & was taken by the owner-who told her the breeder had been contacted & told them to take it to her(totally untrue), this dog was collected by me within 24 hours(& I was living over 4 hours driving time away at the time)& the other was bred by a breeder who would have taken her back, but agreed that she could come to my Dad instead, because at the time he was dogless & looking for another GSD. All the other dogs were/are bred by people who don't give a d*mn about what happens to their puppies & who don't bother to health test, show or work their dogs & whose dogs are obviously not being bred for any purpose other than lining their pockets.

Stop the responsible breeders of GSDs from breeding & all that is left are those who breed for the money-meaning no GSDs for the police etc because most "gifted"dogs fail to make the grade.
but whether people are getting dogs from a rescue will not stop those irresponsible breeders. you said yourself that those type of breeder do not give a d*mn about what happens to the puppies... so they will not care if they end up in a rescue, or get dumped or even killed etc. they have already made there money, and so dont care what then happens to the pups. the pups have to go somewhere though, and there will always have to be rescues left to pick up the pieces. irresponsible breeders need to be stopped, but blaming rescues etc will not stop them... dogs cant just be left to be dumped and live life as a stray etc, just coz the breeder will not take them back... i hope i have made sense

Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
QUOTE]hi
can you please explain to me what you mean
well, i was going to say i am against breeding crossbreeds, but then i remember the lua dalmatian... and i think it is great what they have done to improve the health. so if dogs are being crossbred to improve health then i am all for it. otherwise i am not, i absolutely hate all this cockerpoo, labradoodle, yorkiepoo etc, coz there is no need to produce those crosses.

i know years ago, the breeds were have today were created by crossing dogs, but we have loads of dogs to suit every need so nowadays, people (the vast majority, but i wont say all) do those crosses with the main aim to make money.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 03:31 AM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
Yep sure money spinner Maybe you could try for and apricot poodle with the maltese and then it will be a malty colour as well.
good idea, woo hoo gonna breed some Apricot Maltipoo's
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by Emma View Post
good idea, woo hoo gonna breed some Apricot Maltipoo's
Afraid you dont need to - all the colours here
http://www.maltipoofurbabies.com/previouspuppies.htm
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Afraid you dont need to - all the colours here
http://www.maltipoofurbabies.com/previouspuppies.htm
Gorgeous little things, but who on earth dreamed up the names...i.e. French Vanilla for the colouring...sounds like a sales pitch to me
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
i hate when people use that 'arguement'
"That" argument is true. In all the years I did Lab rescue, 3 were from responsible breeders, who exhibited dogs and one who worked them, ALL took them back when I contacted them, NONE of them were contacted by the owner of the dog, they went to rescue first. I phoned countless breeders who "just had one litter" or did it because they could sell them, and not a single one offered any help at all, oh, except one who lost interest when the bitch I had of hers was spayed and no use to her!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Gorgeous little things, but who on earth dreamed up the names...i.e. French Vanilla for the colouring...sounds like a sales pitch to me
OMG - I just looked at the prices $2100 to $3000!!!!No doubt the more exotic sounding the made up colour the higher the price
Sick
Page 4 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »