Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2010, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
Yes, as others have said some people think that it's their god given right to breed if they have a dog. I do have breeding plans for Rio, she is health tested with great results and has a great temperament and is a lovely bitch in every way. I will use Dan IF his hip score is good (I haven't had him done yet) and I have five different friends on hand to help and advise - including their breeder. What really annoys me though is when people ask when I am going to breed from my JRT. Never is the answer! She has just started her first season, so will be spayed in three months. Is there any need for me to produce Jack Russells? Nope!
Just wondering, are you willing to breed from Rio and Dan as you see the EMD breed as not being over populated?? I am not saying you are I am just wondering as that is how it sounded to me. Obviously you are doing it the right way though.
crestnut
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-06-2010, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by Emma View Post
I haven't seen your post from last night, nor did I know you had bred it just seems some people are saying it is not okay to breed unless you know what you are doing, it is a bit like getting a job only if you have experience..........but how do you get experience unless you get to do the practical side of it, theory can only teach you so much.
IMO Its good to get yourself a good mentor of your chosen breed and take it from there, I had a good mentor and followed her breeding plans etc constantly eg Picking of Studs, watching progency of said Stud in ring, health testing, care of the Bitch and finally to the whelping of the pups. You do not learn enough imo by reading books or asking members of a forum
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2010, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
yes everyone has to start somewhere if they are going to do something
But I think if a person has to come on a forum then it is unlikely that they have the backup they need, the experts they have been helping with breeding so they have an idea what to expect

Although I do agree that there is a need for some really good breeders I dont think there is a need for as many breeders as we have now, so I will always advise if someone wants to breed to REALLY think about it
If they are just wanting another dog like their dog then better to go back to their breeder and get another dog from them

I personaly believe that ANYONE breeding dogs, no matter how great they are, has some responsability for the dogs in rescue and they should take that into consideration
I know many dont agree with me there - but I will always mention the plight of the dogs dying in rescue every day to anyone thinking about breeding
I think your right, but I don't think people who want a rescue dog are going to go to a breeder and vice versa, but see that if you can deter someone from breeding especially the ones not doing it ethically it may stop a dog or two going into a shelter

Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
i dont know what threads you are talking about, i havent read them. but i just think, with the number of homeless dogs, and the high numbers dying in kennels everyday, people should only breed from a dog who is a great example of the breed and ticks every single box. so i think people who are going to breed, should have a lot of experience with that breed so they can tell if the dog is suitable to breed from, but of course you have to start somewhere. so for me, its more about experience with the breed rather than experience of actual breeding, but i think that those wanting to breed should make sure that they have plenty help to help things go smoothly. i also think breed should be taken into consideration, some breeds are amazing overbred and IMO, those should be bred even more carefully by the responsible breeders (the irresponsible breeders are a whole other matter). i am also against people breeding crossbreeds for any other reason than health.

i hope that makes sense, but jake is battering me with his paw coz its time for his walk
It makes sense, are you telling me I can't breed Maltese cross Poodle because I want a dog breed called Maltipoo
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2010, 12:40 PM
It makes sense, are you telling me I can't breed Maltese cross Poodle because I want a dog breed called Maltipoo [/QUOTE]

You can do what you want but anyone wanting a Maltipoo maybe should have their bumps felt first
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2010, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
I understand where you are coming from, however by encouraging responsible people not to breed & to take on rescues, you are also indirectly supporting breeders who do not breed responsibly & who give no back up for their puppies. If this was not the case-why do the dogs end up in rescue most of the time ??? There are genuine rescue cases like owners dying & the breeder have predeceased them(or in fact the dogs being bred by the owner)but these are few & far between

It would be no good for the people who want my puppies to get a rescue instead as there is no way of knowing that the rescue would be able to do the work my puppies will be able to do. Plus if everyone stopping breeding(as PETA want)until all the rescues were homed, then the only dogs left would be the rescues as the responsibly bred dogs will have long since died
i hate when people use that 'arguement'
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2010, 01:02 PM
I think if you need to ask advice on an internet forum about breeding you probably shouldn`t breed. You should first research with a vet, a successful breeder and a good book about it.
I`m not against breeding dogs - I`m against doing it in ignorance or for the money.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2010, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
The decision to breed is approached with appalling casualness by far too many people.

Novice breeders should begin the endeavour armed with all the relevent information and with the assistance of a proven mentor.

Aspiring breeders fishing for basic information on unreliable internet forums are not sufficiently prepared.
Would it matter if the person on the forum had been around a while or is it just newbies and what if they know a lot of things to do with breeding but was either looking for support or wanting to make sure a mentor was pointing them in the right direction?? How do you know if someone is proven mentor or not?? Just because they have bred doesn't necessarily make them proven mentor worthy as they could miss a few steps but you may be none the wiser
BTW I am not fishing for info on breeding, I just wonder why people are met with hostility at times when they are at least asking questions rather than just doing it and also wonder if the alienation they meet on here is anything but brickwalling them and not actually helping them to see what is involved. For example, if I read JoedeeUK's post on here I think it is very thought provoking, but if I read "why do you want to breed, don't do it, you need to be experienced" is not actually going to get that person to think about it or see the point people are trying to make. Rather a judgement passed and a hostile place to avoid.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2010, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
You can do what you want but anyone wanting a Maltipoo maybe should have their bumps felt first
awwww I like the name, dont ya think I will get a new breed established with that name
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2010, 01:08 PM
Sometimes i dont think its a matter of telling some one they shouldnt be breeding, more perparing them which does involve bad things to - Your right everyone starts somewhere, and people that breed but tell others they shouldnt breed will have had experience them selves and learnt stuff others didnt warn them about when they started out..
There are alot of reason why some one shouldnt breed, and if you breed or not, you can have an opinion - some people want to breed to have pups like the parents, and wont test or do anything else ethically. People that breed for the betterment of their choosen breed are surely going to get mardy about that and want to let their feelings be heard. Their working hard to see a better future for their breed, why would they sit back and lets numpties breed from poor examples of the breed ect.

Anyone thinking of breeding should be perpared. I think its nice some breeders will sit and explain things to other, starting out - and questions and negative points will be given, any newbie breeder taking it seriously will take note of ALL advice given good and bad and accept it.

Im not likely to ever breed a litter - But i have learnt a few things from others, and i would share that with newbies, i would advise them against breeding if things didnt sound right or the pups and bitch would be bred into irresponsible hands. It wouldnt be me thinking i can breed and others cant because like i said im highly likely never going to be a breeder.

Thats how i see it anyways.. There are enough dogs in rescue and breeding should be left to them ONLY doing right by bitch, puppies, breed ect - not just anyone that fancies a litter in an ideal world that may be possible but for now anyone can breed, people on a forum can only take advice or give it, if people listen thats their choice.

what bugs me the most is people that come on to a forum when their bitch is given birth worried somethings is going wrong, well if research has been done then they would need the forum at the last min - a vet would be more help.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2010, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by Emma View Post
awwww I like the name, dont ya think I will get a new breed established with that name
Yep sure money spinner Maybe you could try for and apricot poodle with the maltese and then it will be a malty colour as well.
Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »