Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2005, 12:49 PM
Hi Tam
I have a friend online who lives in Pretoria, but is moving over to the UK very soon!

I live in Lancashire, which is in the North West.
I live in a place called Leyland, which is near the city of Preston.
Preston isn't too bad! We are near quite a lot of other large places - Manchester, Liverpool and Blackpool.
Although I live inland, it's only a 30 mins drive to the beach, and from the beach I go to - St Annes, you can see right across the water to Southport.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2005, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by Wolfie
I live just outside a small village in Kent, about 20 minutes drive from Canterbury. It's rural and quiet, but it's home
Are you near Penshurst Wolfie? That's my absolute favourite place to live! No wonder Kent is called the Garden of England. Leeds Castle is nice too. A friend of mine lives in Groombridge Nr. Maidstone and some more friends live in Faversham which is also very pretty. I love Kent.

We live in a small village 3 miles inland on the South Coast. Nothing very exciting I'm afraid except that we live on the South Downs and my village nestles at the bottom in a valley. I will find some pics and try and remember something interesting about the place! We have lots of racing stables around here, Josh Giffords, Lady Herries and John Dunlop, so it's very horsey here which I love.
Mel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2005, 01:41 PM
I live in Lincolnshire

Sweep
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2005, 01:42 PM
I live in Folkestone, Kent - Not my favorite place to live, bit of a ghost town I think, although other parts of Kent are very pretty, I would prefer to go back to my Home Town of Portsmouth.
My favourite thing about Folkestone is the view where I walk my Dogs every day!

Same place earlier this year
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-09-2005, 01:59 PM
Ah well, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em!

I live in the Twilight Zone (although it's marked on maps as "Orkney"). It's the wee bit that looks as though it fell off the north-east end of Scotland:

Snorri Mansions (Twilight Zone admin. centre?) is located on the island of South Ronaldsay, a mile out of the village of St. Margaret's Hope. I decided to post the map, because it sometimes seems that even half my fellow Scots don't know where it is, and the other half wonder why anyone would want to go there! Simple answer, really - fewer morons per metre! Not that we don't have any morons here - there are just fewer of them, and most of them work for the Council. The rest live in fields and eat grass.

The first things you'd notice would be the quiet, the wind, and the comparative absence of traffic (three cars is a traffic jam!). Cows, sheep and Border Collies everywhere.

One of the reasons I came here (from Edinburgh!) was that I was getting really fed up of lots of guys in identical pinstriped suits with padded shoulders, carrying mobile phones like bricks and trying to look like serious executives

Up here, if you get a flashy sports car, people will just point at you and say something that rhymes with "Banker". On the other hand, the people are usually very friendly and helpful (they will usually go very far out of their way to help you - they'll even fall over to help the "Bankers" if they're in trouble!).

Orkney is a very popular tourist destination (the largest contributor to the local economy, beside our fresh beef and lamb) and the scenery is nice (look in my profile for my wee website).

It used to be part of the Norway/Denmark kingdom until about 500 years ago,and the placenames still have a very "Nordic" flavour, as do some of the people's names (we have Thorfinns, Rognvalds, Magnuses and so on). Also, it has always been an important military area (Scapa Flow naval base of WW2) and has even got Martello towers, built to defend against the Americans! (privateers, mainly). Scapa Flow was once the most heavily-defended base in the western world, and you can still see the remains of gun batteries, or dive on the wrecks in the Flow. Even the name "Scapa Flow" is originally Norse (Scalpeid = Mussel beds, Floi - an inlet).

Snorri
(unpaid Tourist info officer)

O.K., it's not as exotic as some people's areas (and not as warm as Fred's , but it's home, where I used to come for my holidays!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-09-2005, 02:32 PM
What lovely pictures everyone...great to see them and to hear about where you all live ...
Dinahsmum for a while I lived next to the 'giant' at Nether Cerne Manor in one of the cottages, I guess you know the legends about him don't you
I loved Dorset and being a great Hardy fan loved seeing what he saw almost unchanged all around me ..
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2005, 02:49 PM
i also live in edinburgh scotland - love it here - and love the scottish scenery its fab !!

would love to go to SA - I work as a travel consultant and met a tour rep from Gauteng last year and she gave me loads of bumph abouty loads of places in SA so its definetly on my wish list of places to go !!
anamcara
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-09-2005, 03:13 PM
hi all i live in the uk in staffordhire or to be more precise in a little place called burton, famous for er .... beer!
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2005, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by Mel
I live in Lincolnshire

Sorry to go off-topic but wasn't there meant to be a ghost on the road somewhere in Sleaford - it was on This Morning a few years back, somebody had reported something jumping out in front of cars and it turned out to be a ghost It was when Caron Keating and Richard Madeley were hosting the programme whilst Judy was off ill, they asked people to ring in if they knew of any ghosts.
Mel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2005, 04:16 PM
Is this the Byards Leap one? Byards leap is well known and not too far up the road from us

If you can stand the lack of paragraphs, this is the best site to find out about it.. BYARDS LEAP
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »