register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Poll - Do you agree you should be alpha male over your dog?
Yes 70 39.33%
No 71 39.89%
Other, please specify 37 20.79%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 60 of 92 « First < 10 50 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 70 > Last »
Promethean
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-05-2009, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I don't know the answer to this, I am genuinely and truthfully telling you what happened, and genuinely and truthfully telling you that through immense will power I managed to remain cool through thunder storms and fireworks going off next door, and get Hal out of his fear of thunder and fireworks.
I have no doubt that relaying events honestly and as you remember. Please don't think I am making accusations about you being untruthful. What I dispute is the interpretation and possibly the accuracy of those events. Are you familiar with post hoc fallacies? Assuming you are accurate about the timing, temporal proximity is not enough to conclude causality.

There is also the wolf-point that you keep bringing up. As we've learned from researchers at Max Planck, wolves are not very good at discerning human gestures we also know that dogs have a poor theory of mind. For this and several other reasons your explanation does not seem viable.

As I wrote, I find speculating about what cause certain aberrant/unwanted behaviors to be unproductive because we can't get into the animal's mind. Who knows why it happened? Maybe it was a culmination of other stressors (ie the proverbial straw) a particular sound frequency, decible, the echo, air pressure. Maybe it was your screams; in which case you would be technically right. And this one is a hell of a stretch - maybe he wasn't afraid at all and was just social mimicry. And yes, I know that contradicts the above findings from Max Planck Institute.
Promethean
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-05-2009, 08:59 PM
Yes I am serious ! And what do you do with your dogs? I know nothing about you Promethean ! but I like what you say ... that you choose the hardest animals you can find.
I'm hurt I looked at your CP profile.

Hardness is a term used by trainers (at least on this side of world) to describe a dog that is immune to physical punishment or will recover from it immediately. It's something I like in a dog destined for protection sports.
Promethean
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-05-2009, 09:04 PM
O yes they do Dawn ! Ask any breeder of high % wolf crosses or pure wolves, and they will tell you the same. You must take the pups off the female before 3 weeks when the eyes open, else you will have an animal who is indelibly imprinted with a fear of humans.
That's simply because through domestication we stretched the critical period of socialization. It's not because they were hunted, any stimulus not presented during this interval will elicit predatory, social, fear response from the animal. It's the same for all animals.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2009, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by ajshep1984 View Post
Your post suggested (to me at least) that Hal having SA was in some way related to him being "Alpha"

So you're "Alpha" but not dominant?

You're confusing the hell out of me.
I don't like the word "dominant" because to me it smacks of Mrs Whiplash and violence, which I don't like !

And no, Hal's SA is far more breed related than anything to do with being an alpha, beta or omega.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2009, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by Promethean View Post
I'm hurt I looked at your CP profile.

Hardness is a term used by trainers (at least on this side of world) to describe a dog that is immune to physical punishment or will recover from it immediately. It's something I like in a dog destined for protection sports.
And I looked at your's purely to establish your sex ! I didn't want to insult you by getting it wrong !

A dog immune to physical punishment !! This is something you LIKE !!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2009, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by Promethean View Post
That's simply because through domestication we stretched the critical period of socialization. It's not because they were hunted, any stimulus not presented during this interval will elicit predatory, social, fear response from the animal. It's the same for all animals.
Wolves were not merely hunted by man. They were PERSECUTED ! In this country, they were completely exterminated purely because of the myth that they were the devil incarnate.

Because of this, it is absolutely essential ... and I know this from personal experience, so please don't argue with me ! ... that if you take a very high % F1 or a pure wolf from its mother to raise as a pet, you need to do this well before the pup is 3 weeks old, certainly no older than 3 weeks.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2009, 09:18 PM
And I looked at your's purely to establish your sex ! I didn't want to insult you by getting it wrong !

Search Malinois
on Utube, theres some amazing vids on there!

these are incredible animals, so much drive!!! I love them,but i couldnt handle one.

Dog sport/protection isnt my cup of tea, but the training required is awe inspiring .
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2009, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Search Malinois
on Utube, theres some amazing vids on there!

these are incredible animals, so much drive!!! I love them,but i couldnt handle one.

Dog sport/protection isnt my cup of tea, but the training required is awe inspiring .

I don't think you give yourself enough credit! There is a great bitch doing HtM.
I think you would cope!

Gabe is mistaken for a Malinois a lot - and everyone who knows him says he is 'a lot of dog!', it was suggested that I do some protection work with him, but I am not happy with that - and recently turned down a film part for him as it involved him biting someones leg.
Promethean
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-05-2009, 10:34 PM

Since many of my the lines in my dogs also serve police and military (currently all of them have littermates in service) hardness is very important.

Since I dont' use physical punishment to train, it doesn't really matter to me - but if they are ever bred and pass on this trait it may save the life of a soldier/police. I know they are indifferent from their response to the decoys, vets, hunting and the occasional accidents. I once got home to see a bloody footstep from a half ripped nail. Leaving the dogs home I tracked the blood trail for almost 1km.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 05:28 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I don't think you give yourself enough credit! There is a great bitch doing HtM.
I think you would cope!

Gabe is mistaken for a Malinois a lot - and everyone who knows him says he is 'a lot of dog!', it was suggested that I do some protection work with him, but I am not happy with that - and recently turned down a film part for him as it involved him biting someones leg.

i think a show lines type one would be fine, but no way the proper working type that i like!!!!or maybe the line/ breeder i like!!!!
Page 60 of 92 « First < 10 50 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 70 > Last »