Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2008, 08:16 AM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
I guess I'm lucky (?) as I'm not surrounded by any other wannabe dog numpties. A work colleage has recently become the proud owner of a chocolate lab - it's his first pup and he always comes to me for advice. Better than that, he actually listens and takes on board what I say

It's great when they actually listnen! I can't stand it when they ask for my advice, i tell them how to do it and the theory behind why it works and they ignore you.

A friend of mine has a very bouncy lab. I warned them in advance that they shoud completely ignore her if she tried to jump up and she would very quickly give up trying, i explained why this was better than telling off or pushing her down for not jumping up (explaining that they would be looking at her when they told her off, speaking to her and touching her....all of which she may find rewarding).

Did they listen.........no! So the dog gets to 18 months and is still throwing itself at everyone it can - of now it thinks the rules are "feel free to throw yourself aroudn to get attention until someone tells you not to............and they try again after a while until someone tells you not to again"! They bawl at her and shove her off everytime she does it - with absolutly no effect..........BUT THEY INSIST THAT IT WORKS!!

The dog is now two and recently they have had three people say they will call the police because the dog has jumped at them on walks. So they ask me again how to stop her doing it! This time i suggest they train her to a whistle, get excellent recall and put her back on the lead when they see people coming...........and to walk her in a less person populated area than their local park.

Do they do that? NO!!! They say that she needs her exercise to get the bounce out of her! She's a lab for god's sake! She would love to come bounding back for a sausage and surely running back and forth to her owner for a sausage and a short while on the lead is better exercise than leaping at other people.

Grrrrrrrrr! Rant over sorry!
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3