View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Muskrat
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-11-2011, 04:30 PM

Feeding bones to old dogs with bad teeth..

I hope this is in the right place, we're not feeding 100% raw, but we're hoping to incorporate some raw food in our doggies diet as long as it doesn't upset her..

We've recently rescued an old (11ish) SBTxEBT with very bad teeth. I popped to the butchers today and asked for "a small dog bone" and came out with a big bag of mixed sizes, most with a fair amount of meat on them, and a "sorry, that's all we've got left" from the butcher

I gave it to her, expecting (hoping!) that she would probably just nibble the meat off and keep the bone as a chew toy for a couple of days but she's very enthusiastically chomping the bone right now. I don't want her to be sore afterwards... will she stop chewing if it's hurting her or should we take it away again? She's very unfit and is having regular short walks until she's slimmer and less stiff, so I'm keen to give her things to think about and do in the house instead of outdoor enrichment for now.
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2011, 04:35 PM
Aww bless her.

When you say her teeth are 'bad', in what way are they 'bad'? Does she have some missing, are they dirty or are they very worn down?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-11-2011, 04:37 PM
Chomping on raw bones will do her teeth the world of good, it will help clean off all the tarter.

I give my girl one ever week , when her teeth need a good clean,
Muskrat
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-11-2011, 04:41 PM
They're very brown and worn down. At least some of them could probably do with removing, but the vet isn't keen while she's so fat and unfit
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2011, 08:12 PM
I've had my eldest girl and eldest boy here with me for less than a week (long story - they aren't always with me) and at their other homes they aren't fed as well as my young'un (raw fed) and the bones they've had have done the world of good to their teeth, My eldest boys teeth are worse than my girls and the bones have really helped - his teeth are whiter.

My girl has got teeth missing, broken teeth and although not near as bad as my eldest boys, a bit of tartar..

Let her chew on them.. I don't take bones off my 3..

(Oh my eldest are 8 and 10 - switching them to raw didn't upset them and they are only on raw at my house)
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-11-2011, 08:18 PM
Muffin eats raw, shes 16 and hase never had problems with bones. She loves them, never had a problem with them. She has large meaty marrow bones, chicken wings as well as offal and mince. going to try her first carcass tomorrow!
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2011, 08:40 PM
My 16 year old Collie eats raw, she does have large recreational bones occasionally but doesn't get them often as she does find it hard work, she mostly gets chicken bones as they as easier for her to eat.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2011, 09:35 AM
Raw chicken wings are brilliant for getting teeth clean again. I took on a GSP with awful teeth but after a year of daily wings they were clean again.