Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Graeme
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-06-2005, 03:24 PM

Raspberry Ideas

Every year I get a phone call from my mum wanting me to find things to do with their raspberrys. They only have four rows but they always get huge amounts from them. So in anticipation of the phone call does anyone have any different ideas? She usually makes jam with them and leaves lots for the birds to eat instead, although the last couple of years they've made raspberry vodka, raspberry gin, and raspberry brandy

Graeme
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2005, 04:40 PM
Hi Graeme

Came across this

http://www.recipes4us.co.uk/Specials...%20Recipes.htm

Might have some stuff in it that hasn't been tried before perhaps?

I reckon they'd taste nice in a yoghurt smoothy too
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2005, 04:41 PM
Just found a lovely yoghurt rasperry dessert - looks delish

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/da...it_72618.shtml
Graeme
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-06-2005, 06:39 PM
That yoghurt does sound tasty (he says drooling )

Thanks MC

Graeme
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2005, 06:57 PM
My pleasure Graeme, you guys are soo lucky to have too many raspberries - imagine the stuff you could eat in a week

Has your mum thought of selling of her goodies to a Farm store? They love homemade suppliers
Graeme
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-06-2005, 10:58 AM
Last year they were quite sour because there wasn't enough sun to release the sugars It is good to be able too wander out and eat to your hearts content though

Where they live there are several huge raspberry farms so people get them pretty cheap anyway. They have thought about setting up a stall at a farmers market though to sell their vegtables (potatos, cabbage, leeks, peas, beans, onions, lettuce, radish, rhubarb, carrots, cauliflower, tomatoes, beetroot). I don't think my mum would let anyone near her peas though They have a couple of apple trees (one eating, one cooking) and a pear tree too that usually provide far too many for us to eat. Sadly their Victoria Plum tree is pretty much dead now

They have almost an acre of extremely fertile soil They just don't get time to do keep the garden bit in order now

Graeme
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2005, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by Graeme
Last year they were quite sour because there wasn't enough sun to release the sugars It is good to be able too wander out and eat to your hearts content though

Where they live there are several huge raspberry farms so people get them pretty cheap anyway. They have thought about setting up a stall at a farmers market though to sell their vegtables (potatos, cabbage, leeks, peas, beans, onions, lettuce, radish, rhubarb, carrots, cauliflower, tomatoes, beetroot). I don't think my mum would let anyone near her peas though They have a couple of apple trees (one eating, one cooking) and a pear tree too that usually provide far too many for us to eat. Sadly their Victoria Plum tree is pretty much dead now

They have almost an acre of extremely fertile soil They just don't get time to do keep the garden bit in order now

Graeme
Great idea Graeme! It's so lovely to eat homegrown veges opposed to mass produced ones - well done to your parents - can understand totally why it is so much hard work, that's a big piece of land to care for
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2005, 08:09 PM
You no doubt know that raspberries freeze well Graeme. Just open freeze them and have them with ice cream out of season. Or better still, make home made raspberry ice cream - soooooo good. Will post recipe if you want - is best if you have an ice cream maker...not expensive, £20 or so.
Graeme
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-06-2005, 08:16 AM
If you could post a recipe DM that would be great

Has anyone seen that frozen fruit you can buy loosely? I don't know if it's been rapidly frozen or what but it seems to get round the problem of the juices escaping.

If anyone has tried it was it good? I'm always tempted to get the gooseberries And why are gooseberries so rare come to think about it (or is it just in Scotland)?

Graeme
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-06-2005, 09:55 AM
Do you freeze them Graeme? I 'open' freeze some to go in things like pavlova (that is spread them out on a tray to freeze..they should be only just ripe still firm and dry)Puree some too with sugar (liquidise with sugar, sieve and freeze in bags/mugs) to go over ice-cream or skinned peaches and nectarines or as a sauce to go with steamed puddings.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >