Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

14-08-2015, 04:20 PM

How much have you spent on your dog?

..in terms of vet/health related fees either directly yourself of what the insurance has paid out.

Please also tell us the breed and age of dog as well as any specific health issues your dog has had (though not required).

Just wondering
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2015, 04:57 PM
They see the vet once a year. Nigredo had an x ray when he was young... $90. $50 exam fee per dog once a year. Nigredo gets a vaccination package. Additional $50 usually. Jade gets only rabies $15. Nigredo hurt a leg once, had to see the vet. Good dog exam fee, $25. Medication... Additional $30 or so. Jade has had mammary tumors removed in the past... I was young and didn't pay for it or know how much it cost. She did develop a limp and I took her to the vet. $50 exam fee and like $60 Rimadyl, which doesn't even work. Never had insurance, but they've never needed operations or anything (on my watch), so never any enormous vet bills.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-08-2015, 04:58 PM
I have absolutely no idea Azz and I could not possibly work it out .
What I can say is 'it was money well spent', few things in life have given me as much satisfaction as my dogs

If someone told me it was a million pounds I wouldn't flinch, I have had my monies worth ten times over ....
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

14-08-2015, 05:30 PM
Breagh cost us about £700 with her Bloat / torsion.

Beau / Skye / Mij / Fingal / Willow - nothing serious or expensive. Just odd things here and there.

We have them insured now but looking back at my non insured dog history - we've been very lucky.

Getting Willow (IWH) insured was a shock to the system.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-08-2015, 05:59 PM
Not a lot tbh The Pugs have had no health issues at all so just jabs and stuff.
Frankie was neutered and had his hernia fixed cost 350 quid, Jabs then he tore a flap of skin on his side, think that was about 150 quid.
Diesel staffie neutered and jabs and a blocked saliva duct, that's it.
Syd, Rio were neutered and Jabs, Milan had jabs, and nothing else till they were pts, Rio had incontinence for about a year. Syd had xrays prior to being pts, Rio had xrays and blood tests prior to pts.
Not a lot in the grand scheme of things.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2015, 06:37 PM
Who's counting?!
Seriously though we are quite lucky with Peps, other than £13 a month for her tummy tablets and her annual boosters we haven't had any expense.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

14-08-2015, 08:39 PM
Dillon Bernese. Mostly insurance claims. 6 months old referred to RVC suspected cruciate ligament problem. Hips x-rayed and cruciate mild hip dysplasia diagnosed and it was a damaged toe not cruciate with hydrotherapy £1500.
Neuter at 17 months old and lump removed between front toes £300+ we payed for neuter insurance paid for lump removal and testing.
18 months old torn dew claw small op needed to remove dew claw. £180 or there abouts. Insurance claim.
Last year Seasonal allergies meds needed £150 insurance claim.
Recently this month Elbow x-ray and lump removal back paw pad £500+ insurance claim. Another claim on the horizon for CT scan on same elbow.

Dillon will be 4 in November 2015. Thank goodness for insurance.
Plus maybe about £100 for consults about minor limps and splinter removal under the excess which the cost was paid by us.

But he is still a healthy lively boy even though he has been through a lot in 4 years. He bounces back very quickly thank goodness.
Sue L
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2015, 08:50 AM
To be honest I haven't really kept a tally of the small amounts.

Ebony Afghan, tieback surgery, hyperthyroidism, corneal ulcers, eye removal and graft on remaining eye, back surgery and IBD all covered by insurance thank goodness.

Sage Dobermann removal of blockage about £800 and then splenic tumour op but unfortunately had to pts before bringing round as it had spread to far to operate. Again insurance

Jade and Lisa, Afghans, trieback surgery insurance claim.

Jenna Afghan, toe amputation through tumour, hyperthyroidism and total collapse and hospitalised for 4 days just under £4,000 again all claimed from insurance until wiped out by the hospitalisation

Thank goodness Teazle has so far only had her annual inoculations
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2015, 11:26 AM
Very low cost/expenses here. We don't vaccinate. There were so many ??? and as both my dogs, and now just wee dog, are never off the property and meet no other dogs, there was no need. Wee dog's blockage cost E50 and I paid around E18 in total for meds for collie over the years. I got vouchers for all the spaying etc for both dogs. ( And cats). Not insured. Collie was pure bred; wee dog is bassett JRT cross..I know who is counting but on my very low income care is vital
Azz
Administrator
Male 

15-08-2015, 12:05 PM
Thanks All I thought the thread might be interesting to people thinking about getting a dog.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >