Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2013, 10:37 AM

Lacey's journey.

Lacey has a condition called Keratoconjunctivitis Sicca(disorder of the tear glands) Was born with it but wasn't diagnosed until she was 1,when she took her first eye infection.The vet did a tear production test to establish the volume of tears produced, unfortunately the results were zeroThere isn't a cure but it can be managed with artificial tears, have been doing that successfully until this year. She's nine now and her condition is catching up with her In April she had two operations on her right eye,one to try and save it, the other to remove it. She recovered well and came back to the happy,loving girl she is.This past few days her left eye has deteriorated very rapidly, vet said its to be expected and she's not in any pain. Thing is today I realise she' s beginning to lose sight in it,showing signs on our walk this morning and in the house. It's heartbreaking to watch,not sure i can cry anymore!.....she just seems so sad.I know loads of dogs are blind and they do just fine, she will be to,I have no doubt.Sometimes it just helps to write things down.Thanks guys
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2013, 10:41 AM
Oh how very sad. I know the feeling from when my old tabby cat went blind. Hope it helps you a little to hear that he did manage much better than I thought and he didn't go blind very gradually at all. It did used to break my heart though to see him so cautiously approaching everything.
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-05-2013, 10:47 AM
oh I'm so sorry for your wee sweety
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2013, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Oh how very sad. I know the feeling from when my old tabby cat went blind. Hope it helps you a little to hear that he did manage much better than I thought and he didn't go blind very gradually at all. It did used to break my heart though to see him so cautiously approaching everything.
Thanks Pat, it does help I hear so many amazing stories and it does give me hope.She' s confused as what's going on,need to stop with the water works and step up
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2013, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by Malpeki View Post
oh I'm so sorry for your wee sweety
Thankyou, she really is a sweet girl x
Lynne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2013, 11:12 AM
So sorry Eileen. There was a man in the park had two little Dax's. one of them went blind ( can't remember why) but she managed great. You wouldn't have known just looking at her. She still managed to trot along as normal following the mans voice I think. I think their other senses take over. He used to take both of them hiking in the Lakes till this happened but she was quite happy trotting round the park after. (((Hugs)))
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2013, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by Taffsmum View Post
So sorry Eileen. There was a man in the park had two little Dax's. one of them went blind ( can't remember why) but she managed great. You wouldn't have known just looking at her. She still managed to trot along as normal following the mans voice I think. I think their other senses take over. He used to take both of them hiking in the Lakes till this happened but she was quite happy trotting round the park after. (((Hugs)))
Yes she is using her nose more i noticed, head much lower to the ground,much slower too. Thanks Taffsum,it's encouraging to hear this
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2013, 08:46 AM
My little Lacey is in much better form today, think she's got over the fact that someone has "dimmed the lights"as my daughter put it. Just back from our morning walk,miscalculating steps and in a slighter zig zag fashion!!! Tail was defo moving in the right direction so that's good enough for me Her one remaining brown eye has now got a film of grey and she's as beautiful as ever.have resigned myself to the fact that one day soon her vision will be totally gone but as long as she's in no pain or danger I can handle it. Onwards and upwards, bring it on!!!
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2013, 03:44 PM
When I was last staying with my aunt in USA we visited their friends who had a lhasa apso who it sounds as though had what your little dog has. She had just had her second eye removed and I expected to see a pathetic little dog bumping in to things and just mooching around. She was 13 and as we walked into the house I completely forgot that this dog was blind. She raced over to say hello and was so excited that she was doing 'circuits' around the room flat out She'd only had the second eye removed 2 weeks before and she was such a confident little dog. Naturally her owners made sure that furniture was kept in the same position all the time. We all went out for an on-lead walk and she trotted along with total confidence and assume she thought that her owner would stop her bumping in to anything.

Good luck and it will be far worse for you than your lovely little dog Lacey. (((hugs)))
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2013, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by jenny.g View Post
When I was last staying with my aunt in USA we visited their friends who had a lhasa apso who it sounds as though had what your little dog has. She had just had her second eye removed and I expected to see a pathetic little dog bumping in to things and just mooching around. She was 13 and as we walked into the house I completely forgot that this dog was blind. She raced over to say hello and was so excited that she was doing 'circuits' around the room flat out She'd only had the second eye removed 2 weeks before and she was such a confident little dog. Naturally her owners made sure that furniture was kept in the same position all the time. We all went out for an on-lead walk and she trotted along with total confidence and assume she thought that her owner would stop her bumping in to anything.

Good luck and it will be far worse for you than your lovely little dog Lacey. (((hugs)))
Thanks Jenny
Really does my heart good to hear that.