View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-10-2013, 07:14 PM
I agree with the others in having no contact with her previous owner for a while in order to establish the bond between you 2. Clicker training is very fun and easy, maybe you can pick up a book and start with fun and short training sessions to build trust and love.
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-10-2013, 12:03 AM
Is there a puppy class in your area? That might be something you could do. Taji loved his puppy classes (even as the only almost-adult dog there). They did him a lot of good and he had tons of fun! I don't know, it might have been good for bonding too, since it was something he only ever did with me, and he loved it, playing games and getting attention.

Just make sure you check the class out first. Any good class will let you observe before you sign up. If you are not comfortable with the trainers or methods, leave it. If you like it, yay! Fun for both of you.

Let us know how you get on with your puppy!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2013, 04:38 AM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
You have a lovely, but independent breed and it's not uncommon for them to be a little aloof

I'd agree with the others in that, if possible, give some breathing space from your friend and also introduce lots of play. If you can find a game that your puppy really loves, it will help enormously in encouraging your bond to grow.

Remember, your puppy sees you all the time so is bound to be more excited when meeting someone they like more occasionally.

Hang on in there and it'll all come right in the end
I do like that way of putting it - 'a bit aloof'. That's how I'd describe my Bella (I usually say she is a very 'independent' little dog and not in the least clingy).

Also occurs to me that maybe OP thinks love and cuddles is the way to go. Whereas just my humble opinion but I think dawgs much prefer a bit of interesting games and training and outdoor activity. But a dog (again in my opinion) will always have a 'bond' and 'remember' their earliest humans (if they were nice ones!)

My dog goes NUTS when the downstairs neighbours visit. They only come to Cyprus 4 times a year but when she was a tiny baby and I'd just bought her home we called in and she sat on the husband's lap and just slept for a few hours - she absolutely pees herself with excitement every time she sees him again (he is of course delighted) she runs round in circles and squeals and well - just goes bananas - and he's never taken her for a walk or done anything other than give her a biscuit and sit on a sofa with her lol!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-10-2013, 08:27 AM
I wonder if the OP is going to come back for the advice she requested?
willow bag
New Member!
Female 

23-10-2013, 07:39 PM
Hi! Thank you for all the replies / advice.
I've had Willow since she was 8 weeks but have "known" her since she was 3 weeks. I visited several times a week, so that it wasn't such a shock when she came us!
The problem is because we run our own business I can take her with me to work (sounds awesome I know) but the friend we got her from works there too, so she sees him pretty much daily. Do you think I should have a word and tell him (politely-ish) to back off?
I'm a big fan of Zac Georges methods of training, but totally agree proper training classes would be better.
She's a happy bundle of bite-y loveliness, and it's possible I was feeling a little over sensitive the day I posted, had enough of being a human chew toy!!!!!!!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2013, 07:49 PM
If she sees her 'first owner' still on an almost daily basis I don't know how on earth she will 'transfer her affections' mainly over to you.

Maybe look at it from another angle - you are lucky (so is she) that there is someone else around who she loves and trusts and who obviously likes her too.

My dog is just a TART - doesn't often sit with me anyway but would leave me and sit with any new face that comes in and sits down in fact she barks at them until they do sit down then shuts up (my Cavvy used to do that too - didn't like people just 'standing around' when they came in)
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2