Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
willow bag
New Member!
Female 

17-10-2013, 08:07 PM

18 week old puppy problems.

Hello everyone! This is my first post, and I'm hoping for some advice.
I have a 18 week old female husky/rottie. She is a lovely friendly little puppy to everyone apart from me .
I'm trying to use positive dog training methods, and for the most part they are starting to work, but I don't think she likes me. I feed her, walk her, train her myself, she spends most of her time with me, as my partner is at work, but I get zero affection from her. Her favourite person in the world is our friend who we got her from, they have such a bond, it seems like she just bides her time with me till she can see him again. After she has seen him she is a nightmare, she wont listen, is bitey and destructive. Any advice would be greatly appreciated-)
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2013, 08:10 PM
What a shame. In your place the first thing I'd do is to keep her away from her previous owner for a good while. She does seem to have formed a strong attachment bond to him from what you say.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2013, 08:25 PM
WELCOME TO DOGSEY

Agree with Tang's advice.Also don't think your dog dislikes you Not sure how long you've had her for?
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2013, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by Lacey10 View Post
WELCOME TO DOGSEY

Agree with Tang's advice.Also don't think your dog dislikes you Not sure how long you've had her for?
I mean to ask that too Lacey - how long has this 18 week old puppy spent with OP and how long with the previous 'owner'.
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2013, 01:37 PM
Bitch dogs do lean towards male masters. So as advised I would say cut this tie at least for a few months until she comes round to relying on you more for walks and food. I guess you haven't or cannot have had her for long so it is early days yet. Try and have more fun with her, games etc which she will come to enjoy. Also if you can take her to training classes too so she will learn to respect you as top dog. God luck.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2013, 01:48 PM
You have a lovely, but independent breed and it's not uncommon for them to be a little aloof

I'd agree with the others in that, if possible, give some breathing space from your friend and also introduce lots of play. If you can find a game that your puppy really loves, it will help enormously in encouraging your bond to grow.

Remember, your puppy sees you all the time so is bound to be more excited when meeting someone they like more occasionally.

Hang on in there and it'll all come right in the end
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-10-2013, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by willow bag View Post
Hello everyone! This is my first post, and I'm hoping for some advice.
I have a 18 week old female husky/rottie. She is a lovely friendly little puppy to everyone apart from me .
I'm trying to use positive dog training methods, and for the most part they are starting to work, but I don't think she likes me. I feed her, walk her, train her myself, she spends most of her time with me, as my partner is at work, but I get zero affection from her. Her favourite person in the world is our friend who we got her from, they have such a bond, it seems like she just bides her time with me till she can see him again. After she has seen him she is a nightmare, she wont listen, is bitey and destructive. Any advice would be greatly appreciated-)
Welcome to Dogsy

You say you are using positive training, can you tell us how you are doing this? It is surprising how many people give confusing signals to dogs without realising it.

If this friend has developed a bond with her he should be keeping away at the moment to give her a chance to bond with you, he is not being fair on you or pup. He will be really confusing her because he treats her differently to you. Keeping her away from him won't solve all your problems but will make life better for you all.
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2013, 08:22 PM
Welcome to Dogsey.

I agree with what the others have already said. I'm sure you will form a bond with you puppy in time. Have games, most dogs like to hunt for food, toys, & you, with lots of reward when your pup finds you.

One of my pups did not want to please me at all, (very soul destroying) so every time he did something I wanted he got a lot of praise. It did take a long time, (about a year) but it was so worth it. He grew into a gorgeous dog & we had a great bond.

Good luck & have fun.
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-10-2013, 08:28 PM
May be you give her too much attention so you are not as special to her as her previous owner. Try being a little cooler towards her, make her earn you affection.
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-10-2013, 03:10 PM
Don't despair. It may take time, especially if the old owner is still around. It may take a lot of time, especially of your puppy was particularly bonded, as both Huskies and Rotties, very sociable, human-oriented dogs, are inclined to be.

Our rescue Akita, the small but stunningly lovely Taji, went through three homes and seven months in kennels before we adopted him at 18 months old. He was pretty badly messed up-- he had some serious behavioural problems and would not tolerate a collar. I'm pretty sure these were linked to abuse. Even after he settled down, started behaving nicely and would wear a collar (though he still hates to be handled by one) it was about a year before he would look at me properly, in the face, like a person. Now, he's a big, sleeping-in-the-bed, apple and carrot eating goofball sweetheart who loves (almost) everyone.

Every dog is different. It may take time, but take your time. More than a year's work has rewarded us abundantly.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >